'79 620 daily

Gary

progress;

alright i think i figured it

1. relays were wired to ground, not negative so the neg terminal was bolted to the dash. both relays shared the bolt

2. the bolt was tight but i didnt notice itd actually bottomed out on the other side, so it looked ok but had about 1mm to go before the fittings were clamped under it

3. a switch i got for the headunit/temp guage (basically i wanted the stereo on without the fuel pump/rad fan, and without the key in), was designed for use on a PCB :\ i just liked it cos it was small. it worked but is definitely not the switch to use

i think power was arcing either between the switch terminals, or from the terminals to ground, giving intermittent + to the dash shell, which was interfering with the ground for the relays (among other things), making them click since the ACC source was seeing positive on the other end of the relay. this might explain the buzzing

im not sure why the pump failed entirely, cos the relays are back in and working and the pump itself works fine, but ive rewired all of it so maybe the wire id used previous was corroded or pinched or something. also got some much bigger switches with spade terminals designed for a lot more power than i need

seems to have done the trick. ive got solid power, no clicking, no weird stuff happening with the headunit yet, nothing. engine runs, pump is on constant, coil is firing good

also since messing with the fast idle thing, the engine runs a lot better :D still a little hesitation at take off if i dont give it a little more revs than normal, and the occasional hesitation at low revs in gear, but it didnt stall once and coming to a stop doesnt stall it anymore, neither does going into a driveway etc. straight cold start is fine too as long as throttle is under about 60%

with this fixed, i spose its about done so far as a daily goes :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been running sweet since last post, no dramas :)

ive been shopping for cool new tools recently but found the milling machine i want is like 380kg's, and getting it freighted will be expensive so i was planning to use the ute. boxed and with other stuff it comes with i think it'll be about 400kg which i wasnt so sure a 4" lowered 620 with normal tyres could do

i was sorta worried about it so today i did a bit of a trial run and messed about putting ~400kg/880lbs of stuff in the tub. i got my complete FJ and trans, and the old J and trans, and a bunch of batteries (55kg or so) right on top of the axle, with the J against the tailgate to try simulate a bit more weight (the mill will be up against the front of the tub when i get it, as it should be loaded), then took it for a spin to see how it goes

12-10haul1.jpg

it handled it good as, the L20 didnt seem to mind too much, was slower to get going but not too much different once it was moving. brakes werent scary they did ok too, i got it to 100k's and the front end got a little floaty at that speed but i think that was cos the load was so far back in the tub. either way im impressed it took it so well :D tuff ol' things hey! im confident about my trip, which is about 60kms or so away. will see how it goes though i spose :D

sits a lot better with that sorta weight in the back, its maybe an inch lower. bit hard to tell in pics but i like it lots. i might need to haul more engines soon though so pretty sure ill leave it this high for now

12-10haul2.jpg

12-10haul3.jpg

nice :D looks cool, crafty ol' fisch!

thanks dan, ill bring it to a pizza night some day :D

tonight i went for a spin around melbourne for some pics. while i was at a bit of a lookout for a bridge (fairly isolated place) i was visited by the police :\ they were nice and all, asking about the ute etc but ive no idea why they felt they needed to check me out

16-10shoot3.jpg

16-10shoot4.jpg

16-10shoot1.jpg

16-10shoot6.jpg

16-10shoot2.jpg

16-10shoot5.jpg

oh and ive got bad news lads, apparently 620's arent actually 620's. never have been, see theyre actually 420's according to the police computer ;) looks like we're all wrong :(

its been driving great, freeway isnt too bad even with the stock diff ratio. the dellortos will be back on soon though i think. its been getting plenty of weird looks :D

i think other than the sidedraughts the utes about done. im sort of lost now that i dont have anything major to do to it. time to work on other cars i spose :D

tonight i went for a spin around melbourne for some pics. while i was at a bit of a lookout for a bridge (fairly isolated place) i was visited by the police :\ they were nice and all, asking about the ute etc but ive no idea why they felt they needed to check me out

There was a body dumped out that way just last week, you know...and you're in a sus looking ute that's low enough to suggest it's carrying a body or two in the tray!

im sort of lost now that i dont have anything major to do to it. time to work on other cars i spose :D

Time for some D action! I'll buy it a Jesus fish...then 510 :hyper:

that explains a lot :D nice one

boooost again soon! i miss it. gotta get yours moving too

progress;

i went for a spin to my favourite junkyard looking for some fender mirrors :) i got a couple ill try out, couldnt find a pair :( one from a morris 1100 and the other looks similar to pics ive seen of skyline mirrors but i dunno where theyre actually from. probably a mazda of some description. i like the idea of having them but i think to pull them off they need to look like stock ones. as it turns out theyre fairly hard things to find in general let alone for a 620 :( during the drive out there and back the coolant temp was creeping up to about 100deg which im not too happy with since it was only a 25-28deg day. summers around the corner too, plus i also bought a mill/drill and i was a bit worried about temp giving me dramas during hauling that home

so over the weekend i got a aluminium rad in there ready for tomorrow. its a triple core over the old twin core so should do the trick nice. the core was fatter so my shroud was causing clearance issues so ive removed it and got the fan straight on the rad. pretty sure this is actually a better idea, i think full shrouds are only really good when you've got plenty of clearance and large fans. i had zero clearance and a single small fan :(

23-10rad1.jpg

23-10rad2.jpg

23-10rad3.jpg

23-10rad4.jpg

ive taken it for a spin today and it hasnt gone above 80deg :D ill drive it some more see if i can get it to overheat

progress;

rad swap is good! gets to 80deg and doesnt budge :D

i picked up my mill on monday, handled it no probs at all :) 380kg +toolbox, a bunch of stuff and a vice and it drove sweet all the way home. temp didnt budge, brakes were great, didnt bottom out on anything (exhaust scraped the driveway but it is pretty low already), couldnt be happier with how it went :cool:

24-10haul1.jpg

24-10haul2.jpg

24-10haul3.jpg

cant wait to start making stuff with it, im planning on using it for manifold making, and stuff like adaptor plates for transmissions (ie manual conversions for engines that never came manual, 1UZFE for instance) and for ITB's and things. should see plenty of use in the future

the tub bed is getting a bit rusty, so ill get onto that pretty soon i think, the stock carb hesitates on and off, i think its primary circuit still has a bit of gunk in it. makes me look forward to having the dellortos on again :D

• 2 weeks later...

nice :D looks cool, crafty ol' fisch!

thanks dan, ill bring it to a pizza night some day :D

16-10shoot3.jpg

16-10shoot4.jpg

16-10shoot1.jpg

16-10shoot6.jpg

16-10shoot2.jpg

16-10shoot5.jpg

Beautiful pictures, Gary! Australia is a beautiful.

Glad your 620, i mean, 420 is running better. Keep up the good work man!

thanks chaps :D its out and about everyday now, ive met some interesting people cos of it too. the other day i was at a local hardware store and a chap who used to build choppers years ago started talking to me about it. 15mins later hah

progress;

after driving around a bit more ive found the main reason i was overheating earlier :( the manifold/s gasket wasnt sealing around the coolant holes for the intake manifold. coolant was finding its way past and down the side of the block, and into the exhaust. so i pulled it apart again, turned some aluminium plugs and hammered them in to hopefully cure that problem once and for all. the manifold for the dellortos doesnt have provision for coolant so i didnt see a drama with blocking it entirely. slightly longer before i can give WOT and not have the carb choke but i dont really mind for now. it hesitates as it is heh

10-11coolant1.jpg

10-11coolant2.jpg

10-11coolant3.jpg

10-11coolant4.jpg

i drove it to work and back and the coolant system is now actually pressurised, runs at about 85deg now, was 25ish today. no leaks so far but ill see how it goes

while the exhaust was apart i thought id have a closer look to see why it was leaking. id grown used to the noise it made and didnt think it was that bad. i hit a maccas drivethrough last night and yeah it was quite loud :( quite a massive leak, i thought it was cos i didnt weld the exhaust properly (too much heat, burnt the thin metal even thinner which made more leaks). as it turns out im less useless that i thought i was, it was just the two bolt flange gasket wasnt sealing. so replaced them, this time with a little bit of silicone sealant (will see how long it lasts i spose heh) and its very quiet now. much much much much much better :D almost exactly what i wanted noise wise

also broke a window winder, now im using a pair of vicegrips :D

ill keep looking out for more problems, ive got another two cars to fix up so ill work on the utes carbs and other things in between those two

WOW, just read your whole thread, took me a couple of hours! Amazing dedication and some nifty fab skills. Nice to see a RH drive like we get here in England. When I get a 620 (maybe from Aus) I will put a thread up for it. I plan on doing an L install and 5 speed (I have a short box though) .

Will

• Like 1

weirdly the chap i was talking to the other day said he had an uncle in the UK with a 620 like mine, he sealed the tub then used it to feed animals on his property i think he said

he explained just how bad the rust gets over there :( frames rust through, never mind the ~1mm steel used for the cab and tub!

if you do an L conversion, try find a short 5 speed so you keep your tailshaft, and get some sidedraughts :D the stock carb is ok but some DHLA's or DCOE's, maybe some mikunis or solex carbs will make it awesome to drive

• 3 weeks later...

progress;

ive done a couple little things, one was new tailgate latches and fixed the bits they work with. tailgate now stays quite shut and doesnt rattle about. it still opens if i really try shove it open so maybe a little more work. for now its good/safe though

i hit a cruise this weekend with some ozdatters which was great, got to see some nice cars

29-11cruise2.jpg

29-11cruise4.jpg

29-11cruise3.jpg

29-11cruise7.jpg

29-11cruise6.jpg

the green 1200 there has an NA 13B in it, looks like a lot of fun. weirdly, the owner turned out to be the guy i bought my first car from years ago! small world, now we're both driving datsun utes :lol: his is a hell of a lot nicer than mine. there was a killer original 70's trueno too. very cool

about halfway into the drive, my gearstick snapped :( that'll learn me for rush jobs. looks like penetration was shallow, then when i smoothed the welds out ive taken away most of what holds it together. i managed to get the gearknob to sorta work on the tiny stub i had left, and finished the rest of the drive and got all the way home afterward. welded the shit out of it when i got home

29-11cruise1.jpg

ultra mega short shift :D pretty sure it was good for +10hp at the gearbox

on the last leg of our drive we had a surprise car roll out, this:

29-11cruise5.jpg

he had the family on board, one of the kids apparently told their dad they saw a bunch of old cars so he stopped by for a chat. nice bloke :D thems falcons are worth a hell of a lot over here, was cool to see one almost perfectly original. slightly worn bodywork, 302, and engine bay dirt and grime included. was awesome, im not sure why but i kinda rate it more than a complete shiny resto

was a good day out :D

thanks chaps :) was great driving about with more datsuns. i dont see em around much :(

i heard word from a chap at the cruise about some SSR's on ebay that might suit a 620. i checked em out to find they were 8.5" wide, but had a decent offset to clear the frame front and rear (i think)

i measured it out and i think they'll stick out about 2" past the guards, so id need flares. i wasnt so sure about flares on a 620, but saw some zed ZG ones on chad's 620 and thought it looked great. that decided it!

also wasnt sure about tyre availability but i visited my favourite tyre shop and they helped me out good, turns out tyre size is common and cheap, i just need to stretch em a little (oh what a shame :devil:)

so i bought em, i should see em in a couple weeks from malaysia

29-11wheelios1.jpg

now i cant wait! ill maybe try get the 40's ready to pass the time :lol:

thanks chaps :) was great driving about with more datsuns. i dont see em around much :(

i heard word from a chap at the cruise about some SSR's on ebay that might suit a 620. i checked em out to find they were 8.5" wide, but had a decent offset to clear the frame front and rear (i think)

i measured it out and i think they'll stick out about 2" past the guards, so id need flares. i wasnt so sure about flares on a 620, but saw some zed ZG ones on chad's 620 and thought it looked great. that decided it!

also wasnt sure about tyre availability but i visited my favourite tyre shop and they helped me out good, turns out tyre size is common and cheap, i just need to stretch em a little (oh what a shame :devil:)

so i bought em, i should see em in a couple weeks from malaysia

29-11wheelios1.jpg

now i cant wait! ill maybe try get the 40's ready to pass the time :lol:

Those wheels are killer, what diameter? I'm wondering why they never came up on my ebay search? Oh well I'm still trying to save up the $ for tires for the 17s that I already have. :(

Guest kamakazi620

progress;

ive done a couple little things, one was new tailgate latches and fixed the bits they work with. tailgate now stays quite shut and doesnt rattle about. it still opens if i really try shove it open so maybe a little more work. for now its good/safe though

on the last leg of our drive we had a surprise car roll out, this:

29-11cruise5.jpg

he had the family on board, one of the kids apparently told their dad they saw a bunch of old cars so he stopped by for a chat. nice bloke :D thems falcons are worth a hell of a lot over here, was cool to see one almost perfectly original. slightly worn bodywork, 302, and engine bay dirt and grime included. was awesome, im not sure why but i kinda rate it more than a complete shiny resto

was a good day out :D

I see this^^^^^^^^^^ I feel this................