'79 620 daily

Gary

It never is that simple - but you always seem to get around it anyways! Good work man.

I really need the flipped steering linkage as well - the CA sump fowls big time. I've hit up Greiggy for some help as he had the same issue. Failing that I'll ask more 4x4 guys as you mentioned earlier, they would regularly kill/flip/mod steering gear all the time - specially the rock crawlin dudes.

I don't know about "Down Under", but in the US the 4X4 shops sell steering flip kits that include the pre-made inserts that you don't have to drill out the arms, and a reamer to redo the taper on the other side. The bigger shops, "4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers" do mail order, if you can't find a kit locally. :D

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know about "Down Under", but in the US the 4X4 shops sell steering flip kits that include the pre-made inserts that you don't have to drill out the arms, and a reamer to redo the taper on the other side. The bigger shops, "4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers" do mail order, if you can't find a kit locally. :D

Good to know! - cheers goes2fast

Gary, yep I would try using my uncles milling machine if I'm going to try tackle it myself - but like goes2fast said, there are flip kits and I think I've seen some here for the 4x4 boys that get around. Next time I'm out at the track I'll ask around.

sounds good, just careful to match the size :D

progress;

worked on the sump a little today, i started by filling it with water for some reference, 4.25L only had it half full on the dipstick :\ also figured out where the pickup goes, its gunna need some work

30-06sump1.jpg

after that i got to chopping it lengthways and relocating the big end rearward to try clear the crossmember. i needed more than the 50mm or so i moved it back, so i also had to raise the front bit about 30mm. its pretty close to fouling as it is, but i still need to get a bit of a radius on some of the edges so that'll change. fair keen on leaving the welds as they stand after im done :cool: i reckon it'll look cool

30-06sump2.jpg

30-06sump3.jpg

30-06sump4.jpg

30-06sump5.jpg

30-06sump6.jpg

tomoz ill patch it up quick, clean up the inside gaps, work out a baffle just like the stock setup and then see about how to do the pickup - i dont really want a weld seam on the tube

:lol: you're right its a fair bit to do for something that's factory fitted over your way. i think with a little more effort on the exhaust i might as well have fitted an 8 instead :unsure: thats not really what i want for it though. as weird as that sounds

initially i was in a rush to get it done in a week cos the car im driving now was running out of rego. ive just paid it again and will refund it when the utes moving, so the rush is over. i didnt get engine mounts from the states initially because of the rush (and i didnt think of doing it earlier :D). id have been laughed at if i went to nissan, best case scenario would have been a couple weeks, and finding one in the US and getting it shipped here would have taken more than a week :(

i sorta just dealt with problems instead of taking the time to source other parts, for example a short 5speed instead of the one i have now. that alone would have solved the engine mount problem, the tailshaft problem, and the steering link problem and probably the oil filter problem too. almost done now though so doesnt matter

progress;

i went and got some appropriate tube today, then got the pickup about done. looks rough :lol: but the insides are fair smooth so i spose thats what matters. just needs a gasket, the sump still needs a baffle, then time to fit it all up and get on with the rest of the swap

04-07sump1.jpg

04-07sump2.jpg

04-07sump3.jpg

me too :D wont be long, though ive said that before. i think about a month into the project :lol:

progress;

i made the sump baffle, wasnt really sure what to do with this new profile. so i sorta copied the factory idea, keeping a similar height (with 4L the oil level should be slightly under the top of the baffle). i bent the top forward to help keep restrict oil flow away from the deeper section where the pickup sits (which i guess is the point of the baffle in the first place), but also help oil flow toward the rear of the sump, either over the top of the baffle, or around the sides as theres some relief there too. i tested it out with water for an idea of how it works, looks like it'll do pretty good but i wouldnt really know :huh:

05-07sump1.jpg

05-07sump2.jpg

placement was under a bearing cap and about where the pickup bolts on so i made some clearance for the pickup to go past, also bent it forward a little like the rest of the top, again just to try restrict oil flow away from the rear

05-07sump3.jpg

i fitted it all up today and resealed the sump, then while it was setting i started work on the exhaust. the holes in the flange i got were a little off, so i just used a die grinder to open them up in the right direction. fits good now, then welded in the start of the secondaries. also made some parallel pipes and temp fitted them between the frame and left torsion bar for a guide. tomoz i think ill join the front bit to the pipe ive got, then work on the merger from the two, into the one 2 1/4 pipe. im trying to keep them equal length which takes some thinking since i'll have three rough bends in each before the merger :(

05-07exh1.jpg

05-07exh2.jpg

also had a peek about for an oil filter relocation kit, found a nice one that should do the trick. will be on its way soon i think, i was tempted to make one since i noticed ive got some 90mm aluminium stock lying about :D if this one falls through i might yet

one thing i would do with that longer pickup, is to put a little support leg on it that goes the rear main cap.

the rear main cap has 1 or 2 already tapped holes in it that take a 12mm head bolt..

micro machinery on here just went through that fiasco on his lz22.

definately what i should have done, didnt think of doing that :( i dont want to take the sump off again for a while though, ill risk it see how it goes

progress:

ive got the sump together and the crossmember and the steering link bolted up proper. seems good so far, wont know till i drive it though

after that i got to working on the exhaust. i wanted equal length to start with but with the room ive got under there i cant do it the way i wanted to, so its unequal length for now. i chopped up a donut i had, finished the bends then tacked it together. i didnt think to get a pic of it fitted, basically sits between the frame and the spring and merges about where the trans mount starts. it'll probably foul under power with these mounts but i dont really mind, when idling it wont foul though so that'll be good enough for me. i spent a bit of time making a merge, not for trying to squeeze every last horsepower, it was just to see what i could do :mellow:

10-07exh1.jpg

10-07exh2.jpg

10-07exh3.jpg

10-07exh4.jpg

10-07exh5.jpg

10-07exh6.jpg

10-07exh7.jpg

10-07exh8.jpg

10-07exh9.jpg

10-07exh10.jpg

i dont have any suitable bends for the 2 1/4 so ill get some tomoz. i worked on the alternator bracket instead, ive mounted it where aircon would go (i think) and didnt run into any problems. just needs a tensioner arrangement and some thread where the alternator bolts on. the timing marker will still work on this side, belt length might be interesting though :D

10-07alt1.jpg

10-07alt2.jpg

10-07alt3.jpg

10-07alt4.jpg

getting there

progress;

finished the alternator bracket and tensioner and got a fresh belt for it. should work good

16-07alternator1.jpg

16-07alternator2.jpg

16-07alternator3.jpg

16-07alternator4.jpg

16-07alternator5.jpg

16-07alternator6.jpg

16-07alternator7.jpg

i got the donuts i needed for the exhaust, the place ive got em from have a new supplier, and theyre 3x the price they used to be :\ 140 instead of about 40. still got it at original cost, something to think about though. so finished tacking it all together together, its all in place just needs welding proper and maybe another hanger somewhere

16-07exhaust1.jpg

16-07exhaust2.jpg

16-07exhaust3.jpg

16-07exhaust4.jpg

16-07exhaust5.jpg

i got a remote oil filter to solve that problem. fits good with enough clearance, also accepts the stock filter on the other end :) just need to find a suitable place for it then trim the lines to suit and it'll be about ready

16-07oil1.jpg

thanks :D i want it moving again already... err... again :huh:

progress;

started and finished the oil filter bracket, i just need to trim lines then fit it all proper and it'll be done. i made it to direct oil somewhere accessible for when i remove the filter, easier to clean and all. it needed be solid to take the sort of torque needed to remove the filter without budging, so i made it from 2mm steel and fixed it to the cab with 3 bolts

19-07filter1.jpg

19-07filter2.jpg

19-07filter3.jpg

19-07filter4.jpg

19-07filter5.jpg

19-07filter6.jpg

19-07filter7.jpg

19-07filter8.jpg

19-07filter9.jpg

19-07filter10.jpg

19-07filter11.jpg

looks kinda cool :D doesnt suit an otherwise stock engine though. maybe with the dellortos it'll make a bit more sense to anyone other than me :lol:

i know if i say a week it'll be two weeks :D ive given up guessing. everywhere i turn things need more custom, radiator was today :)

progress;

i needed a rad to suit the L's outlet positions which were opposite to the J, so i went and visited 510 and got its rad. i was trying to figure out how it was attached, the mounting holes werent used but it was in there solid. i gave the top tank a punch and it popped out :lol: seems it just sat there when it was going. reminds me it needs more going :(

i got the rad against the cab and sorted out how to fit it, the cowl we got on our cabs needed some chopping, and a section of the rad support needed more forward. the clearance i got from that wasnt enough to suit my thermo fan (which was too big for the 510 core anyway) so i ordered a new slimline one. clearance is good (fan was a touch over 50mm, i had about 70mm so enough for a slightly tight shroud). currently working on fitting the rad proper first, ive got two holes sorted but need to remake the left cowl bit to suit. the stock rad is offset to the right for some reason, even the front rail of the cab is offset. a hammer gently and tactfully sorted that problem though :D

21-07rad1.jpg

21-07rad2.jpg

21-07rad3.jpg

21-07rad4.jpg

21-07rad5.jpg

21-07rad6.jpg

21-07rad7.jpg

21-07rad8.jpg

tomoz will finish mounting rad, the rad support will need a fair bit of work to look passable though so might not get that finished tomoz

looking forward to breaking traction, thats for sure :D

progress;

finally finished the rad support and cowl. there was a fair bit to it despite the simplicity of what i wanted it to do, got there in the end though. with the two right holes done i could work on the other side of the cowl while keeping the rad aligned properly. then it was a matter of chopping the top support, moving it forward, then joining it to where it was so the support actually supports, and isnt flimsy. nice and solid now, perhaps moreso than it was. i reversed the bolts for the radiator so they're now studs. 90,000 times easier and will be a lot easier when fitting the thermo and shroud :D

23-07rad1.jpg

23-07rad2.jpg

23-07rad3.jpg

23-07rad4.jpg

24-07rad1.jpg

24-07rad2.jpg

24-07rad3.jpg

24-07rad4.jpg

24-07rad5.jpg

24-07rad6.jpg

24-07rad7.jpg

24-07rad8.jpg

24-07rad9.jpg

24-07rad10.jpg

24-07rad11.jpg

a lot more clearance, but still fairly right. rad is almost hard against the front support member

24-07rad12.jpg

tomoz ill work on wiring, the terminal posts i made need relocating and wiring tidied up. ive redone a couple wires poking through the firewall, now they go through the existing grommet so it looks a little cleaner

thanks chaps :D its rough in person but i dont mind

progress;

i forgot i still had to do the thermo shroud, so i did that before wiring. i figured out i had a bit of clearance to use up (:lol:) so i tried to get the fan as far away from the rad core as i could, so i bent the sheet to pull it away by about 5mm, giving me about 11mm clearance from fan to core. which isnt even close to ideal (20-30mm) but it should still work good enough for this engine. also liking the idea of studs instead of bolts, so i made studs to locate and secure the thermo. they werent close to fouling the core on the other side, but i thought id grind the bolt heads down nice and tight anywho, i welded them in place then smoothed em down a little

26-07rad1.jpg

26-07rad2.jpg

26-07rad3.jpg

26-07rad4.jpg

26-07rad5.jpg

26-07rad6.jpg

26-07rad7.jpg

26-07rad8.jpg

26-07rad9.jpg

26-07rad10.jpg

fitment is good, clearance is very tight though :lol: probably 1-2mm away from the water pump pulley bolts. i ordered rad hoses too so should be about done on the radiator side of things

i relocated the battery terminals closer to the firewall and trimmed and cleaned up some wiring

27-07misc1.jpg

i need to extend quite a lot over to the other side of the enginebay for the alternator and dizzy, and the stock carb i have has an autochoke :huh: DHLA's shouldnt be far away though

progress;

was sposed to do wiring, decided to do fuel pump instead :D started by figuring out a good place for it (old pump was bolted to the frame under the front of the passenger door), i sorta thought away from the cab, as close to the tank as possible, so i copied the idea i had for the battery box, basically making a bracket that'll bolt underneath the frame mounts for the tub. i also wanted to insulate the pump from chassis to reduce noise transmitted to cab, i got lazy and wrapped it in rubber, then made a clamp and bolted it to the new bracket. should dull any harsh noise, certainly wont remove it though

27-07pump1.jpg

27-07pump2.jpg

27-07pump3.jpg

27-07pump4.jpg

27-07pump5.jpg

27-07pump6.jpg

27-07pump7.jpg

27-07pump8.jpg

27-07pump9.jpg

27-07pump10.jpg

27-07pump11.jpg

i got my rad hoses today, parts books are weird in aus when it comes to most things japanese, apparently my hoses were from an 810 :\ they didnt list 510 or 610 so i guessed they use the same. the bottom hose isnt suitable cos my steering box is in the way, but it looks like it'll work in reverse with one of the bends cut out of it. top hose is good, just needs a bit of a trim cos my rad is closer

tomoz ill finish the pump then maybe wiring. unless i find something else to give me an excuse not to do it yet :lol:

progress;

fuel pump is finished and plumbed and now wired ready to go. i added two pins to the existing interior plug and ran wire accordingly to keep it neat

01-08fuel1.jpg

01-08fuel2.jpg

01-08fuel3.jpg

then got stuck into the rest of the wiring, then got sidetracked again when i was messing around wiring a few interior bits. i removed the seat for access and to cut off a bit that fouled the shifter when i rolled the seat forward, then rewired stuff like the headunit and temp guage. while doing the temp guage i decided to relocate it to sorta fit in the space left by the column shift. looks a little cleaner

01-08guage1.jpg

01-08guage2.jpg

i tucked all the interior wiring and relays up under the dash so it looks nicer, and messed about with enginebay wiring some more. not a lot more to go before startup :D

01-08wiring1.jpg

a while ago i found the box wasnt shifting properly, i wasnt sure why. i found out from ozdat that ive got the wrong throwout bearing carrier installed, which is good least i know whats wrong. just need to drop the box again :( ill do that soon