'79 620 daily

Gary

jealous! Those rims are dope - can you let me know the contact Gary, I'm heading to Thailand in 3 days and wouldn't mind seeing a set while I'm over there. Malay is real close to Thailand!

oh dear ive forgotten! shame! :P

http://stores.ebay.com.au/e-AutoBay

thats their ebay store :)

I see this^^^^^^^^^^ I feel this................

:D

weirdly i live just near where some of that footage was shot

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 days :\ it took UPS 4 days to get em sent from malaysia. TNT would struggle to send stuff locally within 4 days!

06-12wheelios1.jpg

06-12wheelios2.jpg

06-12wheelios3.jpg

06-12wheelios4.jpg

06-12wheelios5.jpg

06-12wheelios6.jpg

06-12wheelios7.jpg

win! :thumbup: they tried delivering yesterday but i missed em. got em today, theyre lookin sweet. tomoz ill get tyres, they wont fit without cutting my guards and fitting flares, which i dont mind (ill keep the bits i cut out to weld back in if i have to). the guards i have are in nasty condition anyway

so i need to wait till i get flares to fit em :( ive emailed the z shop about postage, spose see how it goes

tyre size is 195/50/15's, fair bit of stretch but not nearly dangerous so all is good

mika thats a good idea :D im loving the og condition but ill probably want them black eventually

thanks for that benny, good advice ;) as it turns out i ran into him today

progress;

today worked out great, i got the wheels cleaned up nice last night (lacquer thinner is good for stickytape residue) and loaded em up so they were ready for today. i swung by tyre place again, they sorted me out good as. the chap reckoned 195/50's were win so he fitted those, they balanced out alright too so it all turned out sweet. he had to do the lighter trick to all 4 to get the bead up onto the rim, which i thought was cool as just watching it :lol:

07-12wheelios1.jpg

07-12wheelios2.jpg

he asked if i wanted em fitted right away but i said i need flares which had to come from the states. he said go chat with topstage across town in clayton, so i spun round there to talk to freddie who finished off a set just as i got there. hard to miss his silver zed hey :D it had a carbon bonnet and flares that freddie no doubt made himself, he told me it was his pride and joy and it was obvious. the thing was awesome, you can tell its loved

07-12wheelios5.jpg

i got it all home (and saw a burnt orange 510 on the way home :cool:) then fitted wheels. they clear the guards when its static but the fronts will foul when im on the road so they need work before the flares go on, but otherwise everything is going on good

07-12wheelios3.jpg

07-12wheelios4.jpg

ive test fitted the flares just to see, they're gunna be a little tricky since the 620's lines around the wheel arches are getting in the way. i might just hack the flares on regardless, see how it goes

07-12wheelios6.jpg

07-12wheelios7.jpg

07-12wheelios8.jpg

hopefully ill have it back on the road ready for tomoz evening, i think im gunna catch some ozdatters for dinner

thanks fellas :blush: has turned out better than i thought, and easier too

wheels really do make the car hey, it looks almost completely different in person

progress;

last night i drilled out all the holes in the flares, then today cut about an inch arc out of the guards front and rear. i took it for a spin to see if it scrubbed, so far its good but on full lock when turning right and if i hit a bump i can scrub, otherwise its fine

08-12SSR1.jpg

08-12SSR2.jpg

one thing i sorta forgot was keeping the tyre diameter the same as stock, these wheels have lowered the chassis about another 3/4 inch. now the exhaust fouls on cats-eyes/road reflectors, and slight irregularities in the road... and i think my fuel tank has a slight leak again. speedo is out even more too, but ive sorta learnt to roll without one anyway :lol: keepin it low and slow

i fitted up each of the guards to about where i wanted em, marked where the holes go then drilled them all out, then bolted em on. they're all on fairly rough, i couldnt really clear the stock lines in some bits, i would have had to bolt them on higher which i didnt like. not that i mind either way :D

08-12SSR3.jpg

08-12SSR4.jpg

08-12SSR5.jpg

ill get some better pics tomoz, i went out for pizza with some datsun chaps tonight which was cool. i was going to get a pic or two in stkilda, but my new phones camera didnt work in the dark :(

Take a look at my build thread, those are the sizes I have on my 620

lookin good! :) that blue is niceeee. i didnt pay a lot of thought to the difference in tyre size, you're right i should have gone larger to help out with the height and speedo. its done now though, and im happy with how it looks either way. it is a fair bit of stretch, but ive seen a lot worse survive a lot more than ill ever throw at mine, the guy who fitted em has seen some shit too :lol: he said it'll be good

progress;

i was planning on going for a spin yesterday, but i think ive hit a nasty speedbump or two and the fuel tank has copped a couple scrapes, peeling off the araldite i used to stop a couple little leaks so i fixed that yesterday, meaning the car had to be without fuel for 18hrs :( i just wanted drive it, plus it was a great night for a cruise too but i spose thats how it goes

leaks all fixed i went for a quick drive today and got a few better pics

10-12wheelios2.jpg

10-12wheelios3.jpg

one of my first projects for the TIG i think will be a new fuel tank, for now im going to get some steel and make a bashplate for the one ive got

damn its low :lol: ive had lower but things like fuel tanks and exhausts were generally tucked up, plus the last car i had was on bags so it wasnt so bad. the utes chassis is actually pretty close to legal, its just the exhaust that hangs down very low. i might remake that bit sometime soon

10-12wheelios1.jpg

10-12wheelios4.jpg

the speedo is out by about 17k's i think, ive got a couple GPS speedometers on my phone now to try out which i hear work alright. i wont use em constantly theyre just so i know how out it is, if they work i might get a proper guage and receiver, see how it goes though. all that aside im still lovin it though :hyper:

While I think gary's tires are a tad skinny, I think yours are too wide. Any day I would go with the stretch look over the balloon look.

I don't know how you think mine are too wide, my wheels are 7" wide and Gary's are 8" so his tires are streched an inch wider than mine? :confused:

P9080315.jpg

I don't know how you think mine are too wide, my wheels are 7" wide and Gary's are 8" so his tires are streched an inch wider than mine? :confused:

P9080315.jpg

Um, tread width. which is the point you brought up. I saw your truck. Your tread width is wider than the width of the wheels, thus creating a balloon look. What made me hate it was when my 93 thunderbird had 215/70/15 tires on it, on what I would guess is a 6.5 or 7 inch rim. Since then I just oppose that, and the fact it made it handle horribly,(tread is allowed to go back and forth on the rim). I mean 225s would be great if you had an SR or something.

Now I think I am going to stop threadjacking. What is done is done.

Um, tread width. which is the point you brought up. I saw your truck. Your tread width is wider than the width of the wheels, thus creating a balloon look. What made me hate it was when my 93 thunderbird had 215/70/15 tires on it, on what I would guess is a 6.5 or 7 inch rim. Since then I just oppose that, and the fact it made it handle horribly,(tread is allowed to go back and forth on the rim). I mean 225s would be great if you had an SR or something.

Now I think I am going to stop threadjacking. What is done is done.

OK, I need to clarify before this ends.

1. The tread width is the same as the wheel width, and only the side wall bulge wider which is the way a normal radial is supposed to be.

2. The truck is set up for handling, as I like to blow by sports cars in corners. KYBs, Addco sway bars front and rear,

3. I have a KA25DE waiting for enough time to put in.

4. 70 series was your handling problem, not tread width, mine are 50s.

definitely :D theyre next i think

progress;

sunday was cool as, i jumped in the ute and went for a spin to nowhere in particular. a while ago id found a place called hosier lane on the internet which is a laneway in melbourne with a lot of street art/graffiti, i thought itd be a sweet place for some photos but thought it was probably too busy and/or blocked off when id want to go there

with that place vaguely in mind, during the day i wandered around aimlessly looking for some cool places. i eventually found myself in the inner west suburbs on the way to the city anywho, so i kept going and managed to find a parking garage (slammed car friendly :huh: ), then went for a walk around melbourne. after a bit i came across hosier lane which was great, very colourful. usually alleyways smell like 643,000 people have relieved themselves in it, but this one smelled almost solely of paint. just like your old art room in highschool :D really set the scene for me

i found that the laneway was sort of still used, it had a bit of thoroughfare during the day so parking my 620 in the middle of it wasnt really an option. so i wandered back to the parking garage, took a couple pics there, then headed home. spewin on the last one, i wasnt paying attention and was too late to realise the spot number was 520! if only id found 620 :lol:

12-12shootml1.jpg

12-12shootml2.jpg

12-12shootml3.jpg

i thought if i wanted to go back to the lane, itd better be late so less chance of traffic, and what better day than sunday at 12am :unsure: no time like the present and all that, so i rolled out again when it was dark and found the place deserted. perfect!

12-12shoothl1.jpg

12-12shoothl2.jpg

12-12shoothl3.jpg

12-12shoothl4.jpg

12-12shoothl5.jpg

12-12shoothl6.jpg

i tried exiting after that, it was one way and at the end was a pretty serious drop to the road (well for the ute at least) pretty sure id have beached trying to get out, so i reversed up and went out the wrong way. since i couldnt see though, a passing milkman directed me out like a legend, and i got a thumbs up :lol: i thought hed have shouted at me or something but no!

• Like 2