Grandma Cherry Bomb

I got this car in November and am finally starting to get down to business with it, I found this site and thought it might be a good place to share with.

1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster w/ 88k on the clock. (The day I picked it up)

roadster3.jpg

roadster2.jpg

roadster1.jpg

roadster4.jpg

roadster5.jpg

I started the awesome procedure of stripping the 40 year old interior to paint it. Also started to paint the hard top. Spent around 4-5 hours in the 98 degree heat scraping and sanding this crap and the rust from the seat rail bolts off.

Picture092.jpg

After all that fun it was all off.

Picture096.jpg

At the same time we took off the hard top and sprayed the problem spots, tomorrow it will get a few good even coats. Even with uneven spray it looks better being a dark black.

Picture094.jpg

For posterity.

Picture097.jpg

So that's where I was up to until the holidays, weather, vacations, and school started.

I left the car out of the garage when I went on vacation to NYC and it rained. Water got all inside it and put surface rust on all the bare metal that was waiting to be painted. Shitty mistake on my part.

Picture112.jpg

So today I pulled the car out and started sanding it all away. It came off pretty easy and by the time you see this picture it will be about 98% ready for primer again.

Picture117.jpg

So work has begun again, really hoping to get it painted by the end of the week and finally have the interior finished. The grill is on now too.

Just some random pictures;

Picture113.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Picture118.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a gamble on the weather a few days ago and it stayed nice and sunny. So I primered the poo out of it.

Picture123.jpg

Picture121.jpg?t=1266711215

Today I went to town with the white paint...and now the interior is gloss white.

Teasey Poofs.

teaser.jpg

That's where I am at as of the moment.

As for what is to come in the near future:

-Install bumper spoiler.

-Install Sparco Buckets.

-Volvo Brake Mod.

-Cut front springs.

-14x7 -10 - +10 Longchamps (whatever size I can find for the cheapest between them)

-Rebuild the carbs.

dude that car is rad as hell, you got to get a pic of you siting in it. i think that should be a new rule.

(pics with owner siting in there datsun)

some datsuns just seem to suit there owners. you and your datsun are definitely a match :thumbup:

dude that car is rad as hell, you got to get a pic of you siting in it. i think that should be a new rule.

(pics with owner siting in there datsun)

some datsuns just seem to suit there owners. you and your datsun are definitely a match :thumbup:

Once I get the seats and all the interior back in, that just might happen.

soo you didnt sell it huh

well glad to see your going to keep it and get it on the road that would be awesome...

No sir, I've never even thought of selling this car. My 240 was for sale for awhile, but I lost interest in dealing with potential buyers.

i love it! i have only seen one roadster in person and i fell in love with it. they are so rare around here, but i would love to score one someday.

Thanks man. I love this little car, they seem to be more rare than they should be even around here.

Picked up some rad 17's for it.

Picture139.jpg

Not.

Old car is old and dirty.

Picture135.jpg

The interior crocodile alligator.

Picture136.jpg

Anybody want this thing?

Picture137.jpg

Thanks man. I love this little car, they seem to be more rare than they should be even around here.

http://www.datsunroadster.com/INFO_PAGES/what_year.htm#HOW%20MANY

I wouldnt think them to be near as common considering the age and production numbers, most have been lost to time or have been cut up to supply us with parts.

also if you haven't visited the roadster forum, 311s.org they have everything roadster there and even some neat upgrades. Sad part about these cars is they are all treated like japanese cars, which meant when they finally gave out they was tossed away by many owners.