Grandma Cherry Bomb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i belive thats a s13 bro

It is an s13, but it does have an s14 KA in it.

Since the interior is almost done I get to jump into the deep end of this cars needs soon.

-Carbs: I don't really know a whole lot about them.

-Getting it lower: The lack of modern suspension options sucks.

dude I love what your doing with this car so far. As far as the suspension goes there is a lot more "at-home" suspension work you can do to lower a car such as this because of its age. What type of front and rear suspension does this car exactly have?

1339.2.jpg

This is what the front looks like more or less and the rear is a leaf spring/shock combo.

I found some 240z flares for 80 bucks shipped today. Thinking about getting them.

1339.2.jpg

This is what the front looks like more or less and the rear is a leaf spring/shock combo.

I found some 240z flares for 80 bucks shipped today. Thinking about getting them.

I'd check the measurements on the flares first. I'm currently cutting one set of four up to make just two flares for the rear of my roadster and then going to do the same for my front.

I'd look for a set of performance front springs to drop it down lower and as for the rear you can remove springs and use lowering blocks like on a truck. I think some of the guys now are swapping over to a single composite spring for each side.

As for getting rid of carbs, yank the KA from the S13 and swap it into the roadster not much cutting needed that or a miata engine. If you want the SR20 you're going to have to cut some on the crossmember.

I'd check the measurements on the flares first. I'm currently cutting one set of four up to make just two flares for the rear of my roadster and then going to do the same for my front.

I'd look for a set of performance front springs to drop it down lower and as for the rear you can remove springs and use lowering blocks like on a truck. I think some of the guys now are swapping over to a single composite spring for each side.

As for getting rid of carbs, yank the KA from the S13 and swap it into the roadster not much cutting needed that or a miata engine. If you want the SR20 you're going to have to cut some on the crossmember.

Those performance springs don't look like they are going to give me the ride height I want ideally. Might end up cutting the springs and seeing how it is. If it's absolute poo, I will then get the lowering springs. (yes I know cutting springs gives you terrible ride quality and puts a lot more stress on all the other bits)

As for the motor the original plan was to swap in a KA and I still might if I can find a motorset for cheap enough but I wouldn't pull it out of the coupe. For how clean that car is, it can still pull a premium so it would make better fiscal sense just to sell it. I do want to stay true to the R16 though. I just love the way they sound, the U20 even more so. I just think this car would lose a little bit of personality with a modern fuel injected motor. It wouldn't smell like gasoline and have that puttering roadster idle.

Those performance springs don't look like they are going to give me the ride height I want ideally. Might end up cutting the springs and seeing how it is. If it's absolute poo, I will then get the lowering springs. (yes I know cutting springs gives you terrible ride quality and puts a lot more stress on all the other bits)

As for the motor the original plan was to swap in a KA and I still might if I can find a motorset for cheap enough but I wouldn't pull it out of the coupe. For how clean that car is, it can still pull a premium so it would make better fiscal sense just to sell it. I do want to stay true to the R16 though. I just love the way they sound, the U20 even more so. I just think this car would lose a little bit of personality with a modern fuel injected motor. It wouldn't smell like gasoline and have that puttering roadster idle.

if you don't mind dealing with megasquirt you can order exact SU sized throttle bodies and go with fuel injection, just an idea as the R16 parts are still produced by Nissan for forklifts. http://www.extrudabody.biz/servlet/the-135/Twin-SU-SU%27s-MGB/Detail It is a little on the costy side though I think, I'm going to run megajolt on mine and then in the future maybe upgrade to EFI.

I like your car it looks sharp! I can't wait for mine to be done, been busy doing a frame up slowly on mine and its a pain though its taught me a lot about the car and given me time to look at all kinds of crazy setups including an L28 roadster lol.

the lowering coil then looks like your other option to get it lower would be a custom fabed drop spindal... unless they make some already i dont knwo much about roadsters..... but a KA roadster sounds bad ass!!! that would be a VERY fun lil car!

• 2 weeks later...

510 Brake Masters are available. New ones are being made by Centric. I was able to purchase for my 70 510 for about $75 from RockAuto.

Not sure if it will fit the roadster properly, though.

That's good to know, Dan. The Bluebird's (Datsun 510 mailing list) thread said Centric had run out of old masters to rebuild.

As for using one on a roadster, there's something about swapping the large nuts(?) or using adapters because the 510 brake m/c is metric and the roadster brake lines are SAE. Search 311s.org TechWiki and/or forums.

Where'd ya get you're carb kit from? myself I ended up buying one of the keystone kits and reused my needle and float valve.

Haven't ordered yet, probably will be doing so this weekend, unless DatsunParts.com is out of stock. In which case more info on this Keystone kit?

Also:

She Lives!

barely

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Had to move it around today to get stuff out of the garage.

Clutch and choke were sticker than a june bug in molasses, but it was nice to hear it putter around.

Haven't ordered yet, probably will be doing so this weekend, unless DatsunParts.com is out of stock. In which case more info on this Keystone kit?

Also:

She Lives!

barely

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Had to move it around today to get stuff out of the garage.

Clutch and choke were sticker than a june bug in molasses, but it was nice to hear it putter around.

Keystone kit includes pretty much all the gaskets cept for the fuel one which you'll have to make (found this the hard way lol) I might try the needles and valves but I've read they are crap and my stock ones seem fine so I'll reuse them. My big issue is the car had sit for years with the stock gaskets so I am going through and replacing them all. The gaskets overall though seem pretty good quality and the floats for the carb you'll have to order from nissan or datsun parts I'd advise replacing the brass floats while you're in there. If you end up deciding to make more pep to the R16 stroking it wouldnt be a bad idea and isn't too costly.

• 3 weeks later...

So at this point in time, unless someone has a running KA motorset they want to practically give to me, I do not have the want or time to tango with the R16.

One of my projects needs to be sold VERY soon. 

:(

• 3 months later...