First Post and new truck

I am new too this form but not datsun. I have owned 2 of them in the past a 74 620 and a 76 620 and loved them. The datsun 620 was my first truck and always has had a special place in my heart so when I saw this King Cab sitting on top of a camaro I knew it was soon too be mine. I am paying for it tomorrow and trying to arrange its tow. I

OK OK OK I WILL GIVE PICTURES QUIT YELLING FOR THEM!!!!:rolleyes: PICTURES

th_GEDC0018-1.jpgHere I sit so broken hearted tried to @*#@ but only let out a camaro!!!!

th_GEDC0008.jpgOn top of camaro all covered with datsun I lost my poor money when I HAVE TO HAVE IT set in too my mind....

th_GEDC0011.jpgGet your motor running....WELL I HOPE!!!

th_GEDC0012.jpgYES IT WILL BE MINE!!!

th_GEDC0013.jpgCloser view of side....th_GEDC0015.jpgeven closer cant make bottom out?

th_GEDC0017.jpgHey quit looking at my ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am paying $150 for this they said it had the motor but no idea if runs (I was just glad too hear it had motor). I don't know year, or motor size, however; I do believe it has a 5 speed due to the sticker on rear. I will have to file for a title but I have done this before and its not a big deal. I am just hoping that its not one of those things where 10 years down the line I am still saying "I will get on that one of these days".

I don't know what I plan to for it other then

1. Get it running!

2. Make sure I get A/C because I live in desert (It was raining when I took photos LOL).

3. Make fuel efficient.

4. Keep it a good work truck (means no lowering, big lifts, or things like that).

Things I am considering

1. I would like white paint on outside, color interior, and black bead liner

2. figuring out a way to have a quick release bed (go form normal bed to flat bed to utility bed quickly).

3. Adding second gas tank (would like right handed and left with same looking openings as was stock).

4. Paining every square inch of body and frame (would this be too hard for a non mechanic).

Do any of you have any ideas of what I should add (power windows, door locks, different colors anything)?

I don't need a show car yet (maybe different 620 later). Also I will be doing this with VERY LITTLE FUNDS!

I will keep you informed but the starting work will be delayed tell I get title and I get my RV out to the property where I am taking the truck so that I can stay there during the weekends.

Sorry for spelling not good speller!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in AZ are you? We have a club here in Phoenix, you're welcome to attend the meets. We already have a few other pickup guys.

Lake Havasu City,

Hey skunk I would like to see more pictures of yours. I will search it out but could you post a link if you have pictures on here.

Looks like a really good start. Make sure they take care getting it down, as I've seen a few like that where they were being careful and they tear up the under carriage :o . Good luck.

Fuzz

GOD DON'T SAY THAT @#@ that would suck big time. I will watch or take it down myself thanks for warning.

Paid.......Its mine but I got for $25.00 less then I said before (money talks and bull sh@# walks). Oh yessssss it is mine.

First thing get it paid for~~~~COMPLETE

Secound thing get it towed to its new home. ~~~~~~My truck will overheat if I tow (I know I said I only have a scooter but my mom drives my truck because her car broke and I consider it hers). I due have a dolley though so this shouldn't be hard. The metal recycle I purchased from gave me 1 week. When I get it I will take more pictures as this is my project datto on this truck

You have another Ratsun member who also lives in Havasu. His username escapes me but it's close to "bob gts" . Congrats on the 620 score.

Cool another member here....Oh and got a truck so I pick up tomorrow and take out there. I finally got too look at interior......YUCK YUCK its bad. Will have to fiberglass a new dash and replace seats, and carpet. Don't think there is any rust though (desert truck). I might have to find 2 tires today for the road. I hope I don't get pulled over as it is not current. Licence plate say 04 so I assume it stopped running between 02 and 04 but we will see if I can get it going.

More pictures during move I promise.

EDIT: Yes bob72gts I believe I just PMed him.

Looks like a really good start. Make sure they take care getting it down, as I've seen a few like that where they were being careful and they tear up the under carriage :o . Good luck.

Fuzz

GOD DON'T SAY THAT @#@ that would suck big time. I will watch or take it down myself thanks for warning.

GOSH DARN IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Man I told them I would be by and get it today (this was yesterday) and when I got there I see the yellow boy in the air...........The driver was lowering it and it slid it was low enough the tires on the drivers side hit (lucky). But then the guy pushes it sideways and I about died!!!!!! I ran in told the boss to have him leave it outside the gate and not touch it again that I would take my chances with it outside the gate before I have him use fork lift again.

I don't know if he caused any damage (all I saw was scratches) but I hope nothing is bent up. I will know more when I get it out to the yard. The guy whose property I am taking it too has a junk yard (personal not public) but no other Datsuns trucks.

The property does have a datsun car and I will take pictures of it for you all. I can probably get anyone parts from this car if they need them (or take whole thing) but I don't know how much he would charge. The car (wish I knew type) does have bullet holes in it. I will take pictures today.

EDIT: Oh yea I forgot too tell you all. While it was down I checked out the drivers side door and it is a 1977. I still havent checked motor I am waiting tell I get it stable on property.

I'd at a minimum expect it's gonna need a driveshaft, because sure as heck it's gonna be bent. If not from the forklift (be glad they didn't fork it through the windows) then from sitting on top of that Camaro. Probably a damaged gas tank too- dented and/or punched.

I'd at a minimum expect it's gonna need a driveshaft, because sure as heck it's gonna be bent. If not from the forklift (be glad they didn't fork it through the windows) then from sitting on top of that Camaro. Probably a damaged gas tank too- dented and/or punched.

Got it too property.............SHEW what a chore. I will say that even though the radiator was missing it was the only major thing missing besides a brain for the owner. I did check fluids too see if they gave me any history on the truck. The radiator hose has some fluid left and it was very green like fresh coolent, the oil was black/brown but was at proper level, and the brake fluid well it sat for a while :). The points were right on and I could turn through the cooling fan. So far engine look over A+ now for compression check. Oh yea the battery and major wires are not there. I knew a dead battery for sure but now I have to trace wires.

I also looked under and it looked ok but I will know more when I get it running. He has a L20 and a beautiful crab.

I have a few pictures of him (first male truck but the way it humped the camaro it has to be male or lesb).

GEDC0024.jpg?t=1268200094

Isn't he wonderful......

GEDC0025.jpg?t=1268200563

Oh man I forgot too check if it had right firing order :(

GEDC0026.jpg?t=1268200660

You cant see it but there is some rust out next too battery.

GEDC0027.jpg?t=1268200740

I think armor all will fix this right up, what about you?

GEDC0028.jpg?t=1268200864

Hey kids that's what we called a tape deck!!!!

GEDC0029.jpg?t=1268200935

First $50.00 takes glove box will through in dash cover for free!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEDC0030.jpg?t=1268201049

That will be all the sound I need.

GEDC0031.jpg?t=1268201096

Its not as bad as it looks. I scraped through it with fingernail. I sure glad I had my tennis shot 6....wait 20 years ago. (yes I meant tennis)

GEDC0032.jpg?t=1268201183

I will even through this panel in with glove box purchase....What no takers yet...

GEDC0033.jpg?t=1268201238

Yea almost strait....NO NOT INCLUDED WITH GLOVE BOX!

I have more images if you wont but they are nothing you all haven't seen before. Oh yea if you noticed green its because I took too a higher part of the desert.

The property of my datsun only has one other datsun on it. Its a car that Bonnie and Clyde would like.

GEDC0021.jpg?t=1268201575

GEDC0023.jpg?t=1268201622

Such a shame but it still ran when it was parked here.

The owner wont's $75.00 but I already have a project and this is way more then I wont for work.

Hey all I forgot too ask. Could you all tell me what the minimum wiring is too start and keep datsun started. I don't wish too go in dash and I do have a remote starer switch. I just wish too use this temp wiring too test the motor only so BARE MINIMUM is all I wont. Sorry I have too ask as I am not a mechanic. You tell me replace part I replace it but not diagnose. This is a real learning for me.

Thanks in advance.

12v power to the coil will be needed for spark, then you will need to figure out something for the starter. simple toggle switch or push button switch would do the trick for a temp solution to get it running and tune it. I wouldn't cut any of the original wiring if possible tho...

looks like you will need a battery cable to the starter, and im not 620 savvy, but on the 1980 720, next to the battery tray there is that clump of wires in your picture. see if there is a thickish white wire with a red strip down it. that should run to your fuse box, if you connect it to the battery you should have power when you turn your key/on off.

heres a wiring diagram for you http://www.olddatsuns.com/data/dat620-1974.pdf

also, in fact if you get a battery cable from the battery to the starter, and get that one white w/red strip hooked up to the battery, you wont even need to do toggle switches or jerry rig shit. just turn key (assuming the rest of the wiring is good lol)

bare minimum from looking at your pics.

1. ground wire to block

2. positive wire to starter

3. about 4 feet of wire with alligator clips on both ends,

one end on the coil 'plus' side, the other onto the

end of the battery post nut, unclip one end or the

other to shut off the motor.

4. borrow the overflow bottle for a mini fuel tank, clean it

and use the fuel line that comes from the top of fuel filter

to connect at the bottom of the mini tank, this way you

know you are using fresh and clean fuel.

just dont forget to disconnect the alligator clip when you are done cranking.

when you get done testing out the motor undo step # 4

hope this makes it simple for you.

bare minimum from looking at your pics.

1. ground wire to block

2. positive wire to starter

3. about 4 feet of wire with alligator clips on both ends,

one end on the coil 'plus' side, the other onto the

end of the battery post nut, unclip one end or the

other to shut off the motor.

4. borrow the overflow bottle for a mini fuel tank, clean it

and use the fuel line that comes from the top of fuel filter

to connect at the bottom of the mini tank, this way you

know you are using fresh and clean fuel.

just dont forget to disconnect the alligator clip when you are done cranking.

when you get done testing out the motor undo step # 4

hope this makes it simple for you.

Exactly what I wonted thank you! If it warms up next this weekend I will be out there. I have a truck now (Ford) and will be using this to get out too junk yard that I have my truck at. I have a lot of the expensive tools at my disposal (not sure what they are yet) and I will have too buy some of my own such as pressure testers. I know I can rent some other tools. I will work on the truck where it sits for now.

One other thing I will be working on at same time as trying to get it going is fixing the doors so I can open from out side. I can do this as I have a degree in locksmithing and had too learn all about the inside of doors. I will be replacing outside looks and getting a new ignition switch at later dates.

Oh yea I will be using a soda bottle that has been cleaned and dryed for a small fuel tank (not for driving).

EDIT: I just read this and realized that I made it sound as though the others didn't give me good info...The fact is all was good and said basically same thing. I don't wont to use the key switch as I wish too eliminate all possible problems. I don't plan on doing any splicing/cutting at this point.

Let us know when you get the motor to fire up. If you have other issues, let us know.

Well it fired up and ran!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I need to find a radiator for him. I also was able to put in gear and move YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS..

The brakes don't work so I will need to adjust bleed them. I have one lifter tapping so will look into this. I also have the distrubutor turned all the way to the right and need more for good timming. Is there anyway to jump this one touth so that I can adjust timing better? I have not tested the comprtion yet I will due that next week but it sounds like a kitten when she runs.

I don't have spell checking on this PC so please understand spelling.

Oh yea the only reason I can see that it didn't run or too through it in junk yard was becouse the firing order was WAY OFF. Only spark plug 1 was correct.

I will get on tomorrow to give more info.