Dirty S30 - 1973 Datsun 240z

Hey guys,

I have been waiting a long time for this post.

After scouring the Internet for almost a year, considering shipping from CA, AZ and beyond.

I have finally found "The One" in my own back yard (Boston/Quincy, MA).

For the record I have been on Craigslist every single day searching in a 250 mile radius for the perfect S30.

At 7:00pm on March 5th 2010 I bought her.

My 1973 Datsun 240z

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

More pics to come.

What a day.

-=XD=-

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so stoked right now. First mini photoshoot with my first Z.

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/alex.straffin/Z#

First things first there are a bunch of places where I need to primer over some bare metal. That is my first priority. Once she's sealed up I'm going to fix the rear hatch gas shock attachment. Right now it's acting as a prop. Then I'll probably clean her out and vaccum the carpet and see where to go next. I got a new carpet kit and a new clutch with it eventhough the clutch in there is fine.

I have lots of research to do and lots and lots of Dat-Rat fun ahead of me. I will be documenting the entire process here.

-=XD=-

motor specs plz :P

As far as I know it is just a straight up L24 with Triple Weber carbs, and a stainless steel header/exhaust combo.

The carbs need to be tuned still but she runs nice. A little dip in power if you mash the gas, but I assume that a proper carb config would resolve that.

I'm super interested in figuring all this out tho.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Back from the dead over here!

I have made lots of progress since I last posted a year ago.

I have been posting up with my progress via my build blog:

Dirty S30

http://DirtyS30.blogspot.com

dirtybanner.jpg

But I <3 Ratsun so I will start keeping this build thread up to date as well.

Here are some pics showing some of the highlights of what shes been up to.

New House for me and my Z!

IMG_4591.JPG

Setting up shop.

IMG_5023.JPG

On Stands

IMG_5154.JPG

Teardown begins

IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

100_1463.JPG

Man pulling up all that sound deadener sucked.

100_1377.JPG

Chemical Stripper

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

Drop it like it's hot

IMG_5586.JPG

Pulling the stock L24

IMG_6740.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6764.JPG

HIYAH!!!

IMG_6767.JPG

Much more to come.

A while back I picked up an L28 to swap in.

IMG_6133.JPG

Got it removed from the 4 speed tranny and mounted to the stand.

IMG_6176.JPG

And stripped it down to the block.

IMG_6200.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

To my surprise, the N47 cylinder head turned out to be from an 84 Maxima. The "MN47" as the Internet has named it.

IMG_6203.JPG

You can tell that it is from a Maxima because of the heart shaped combustion chambers. On a Z car N47 they are dished round chambers. this results in a bump in compression and if you are running flat pistons you get a quench or "squish" effect. I will be running the stock L28 dished pistons since I'm not extremely interested in a 10+ compression ratio and the detonation issues that could arise from that so i'll just run it in the mid 9's for comp and see how she does.

Also on the rebuilding table are my triple Weber DCOE40s.

IMG_6658.JPG

The throttle linkage is going to have to be straightened out as the previous owner had bent it to get it to "work" lol.

Later, I chemically stripped the outside of the entire vehicle.

IMG_6999.JPG

Cleaned up the Engine bay rough spots and removed all of the hardlines. I used a mechanical stripper (paint remover) for this and do not recommend it. I will use a combination of chemicals and sand blasting from now on.

IMG_6877.JPG

And started stripping the other body panels. (a little dinged and dented I know) I will have a little "hammering out" to do.

IMG_7093.JPG

And then I had the bright idea to disassemble the doors so I can paint them inside and out and make sure nothing gets missed. What a nightmare.

IMG_7103.JPG

I will probably not be doing the other door this way since it was such a pain in the ass and i don't know how i'm going to get this whole thing back together. lol

This is the engine bay after a quick blasting with my portable sand blaster.

IMG_7307.JPG

Gas cap area blasted.

IMG_7328.JPG

Chemically stripped and sand blasted the wheel wells.

IMG_7302.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

Up next, the beginning of under sealing with Zero Rust.

Wow, nice solid base to start from. It looks even more rust free than my Z which spent it's entire life in Arizona. I know what you mean about the doors too, I had to leave one assembled so that I could figure out how the other one went back together. I'll be sure to check for updates on this build.

wow cant wait to see more, you just gonnna restore her? what you gonna do for paint?

My plans include a 2.8 swap and suspension modifications for the most part. Everything else is going to be pretty stock.

As for the Color I have chosen KV3 which shipped on Gen 5 Maximas as "Grey Lustre" and is currently manufactured by PPG as Charcoal Metallic and by BASF as Green Grey Metallic. They both look the same to me in the books, but when compared to the originally shipped color they are significantly different. Not terribly concerned with that though.

What kind of "chemical" stripper are you using? Seems pretty effective.

I use Jasco Paint and epoxy remover. by far the best consumer available stripper I have ever used.

IMG_6980.JPG

Works like magic.

Before:

IMG_6979.JPG

Application:

IMG_6981.JPG

After 10 minutes:

IMG_6984.JPG

Wipes right off with a paint scraper:

IMG_6985.JPG

nice score on the maxima head :cool:

that motors going to run very nicely with that and the triples :D

I very much hope you are correct! my setup caused a bit of a huff over at HybridZ haha.

We'll see how it goes. :lol:

That is crazy. Do you like the outcome?

From the chemical stripper? Yeah I think it's a great product.

I have to treat the metal afterward with Picklex20 so it doesn't rust while waiting for paint.

That's why it looks all chalky in some of the pics. It chemically deactivates the rust and turns it dark grey and white.

I very much hope you are correct! my setup caused a bit of a huff over at HybridZ haha.

We'll see how it goes. :lol:

Everything causes a huff over there. lots of guys with pathological needs to feel better than everyone else. "Doughebags" is the technical term.

Let me guess, they gave you a finger wagging 8 page lecture on squish zones and closed chambered heads/issues with dished pistons?

Fuck it, run what you want to run. keep an eye on it, and if it detonates, swap heads to an open chamber.

BTW nice job so far man! Can't wait to see it finished.

Everything causes a huff over there. lots of guys with pathological needs to feel better than everyone else. "Doughebags" is the technical term.

Let me guess, they gave you a finger wagging 8 page lecture on squish zones and closed chambered heads/issues with dished pistons?

Fuck it, run what you want to run. keep an eye on it, and if it detonates, swap heads to an open chamber.

BTW nice job so far man! Can't wait to see it finished.

Lol exactly!

I mean I bought the motor complete for $200. Lol

Im just not on that level with it I guess. Id rather blow it to smithereens while learning why, than have some guy calling me ignorant for not caring.

Great, now I REALLY want a Z...and the coupe ain't even done yet :P This has the beginnings of an awesome build, gonna be watchin this one. Also glad to see I am not the only one posting up pics with my favorite adult beverage in them :lol:

Hey guys,

I got to spray the newly stripped wheel wells and inner body.

Here is my paint setup.

IMG_7309.JPG

Cheapy Harbor Freight HVLP gun works great for spraying sealers and primers.

This is my ridiculously tall spray contraption.

IMG_7313.JPG

It consists of the HVLP gun, a pressure regulator, and a water filter.

Mixed the paint with 1 part Lacquer thinner to 4 parts Zero rust to thin it out enough to spray.

IMG_7312.JPG

Spray away!

IMG_7336.JPG

Cowl

IMG_7317.JPG

Under Fenders

IMG_7318.JPG

Rear wheel wells

IMG_7320.JPG

Pass wheel well

IMG_7324.JPG

I am very happy with the results. Zero rust is a waterproof sealer primer that seals out air and water making it chemically impossible to rust.

But I'm sure my Datsun will find a way around that.... lol :lol: