Noodle-The Datside's 510

It's been a couple weeks since I picked this up but I finally got my 510. Let's start with the bad: rust in floor, trunk, behind wheels, and rockers. That takes care of the bad, now what needs to be addressed: wheels are too honduh-ish, yellow paint, comfy front seats but dirty, stock rear seats ripped, headliner ripped and nasty, no carpet, and most important, no cup holders!

My plans for this so far are to learn the hell out of cars and 510s specifically. I hope to swap a VG in with in a couple years. For now just dailying.

L20B, A87 head, dogleg 5spd, 280zx struts and brakes, 16" Enkei (Tarmacs I think)

Enough talk how bout some pics?

dc2556e9.jpg

8544bcb3.jpg

f5b085f2.jpg

7372669a.jpg

eb24ff6c.jpg

d37544da.jpg

7c7d4a4c.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I get the rust taken care of I'm going to paint the car. I'm thinking a dark gray, I think I might carry over the taillight section. Just put in a wink mirror I got as a welcome to 510 gift. Also got some cut springs to hold me over until I get coilovers. Come on tax refund!

lol I was talkin about dat-sides wheels, thos steelies whernt even bad either lol none of my shit will fit 13's tho (already got a set I dont use)

lol.lol. dat side i like the wheels and the yellow....and for gettn a car that looks that sharp to start :D

Fastdadd, I totally didn't hear a honk.

I was thinking about powdercoating them. Maybe once these tires are worn. I'd like some meshies. But lowering is in order. It'll look rad tucked in the fenders.

I'm going to go check out a front lip tomorrow, it's from a GTI so doubt it'll fit. Might need some trimming. If I can get it for a good enough price I might go for it. Gotta bend that bumper back into shape too. I only notice it in the picture above and walking through a parkinglot, not a good time to remove car parts.

• 1 month later...

So pretty much just gathering parts.

Picked up a rear seat from a mk4 Jetta K2 edition. The buy had it in his 510 so I know it'll fit. He said it weighs 35lbs, but I haven't weighed it.

I've got some questions on lowering the front. I've got some positive camber due to the 280zx strut swap. I'd also like to lower it, until I get coilovers.

I have cut front springs. And I know about the '86 Camero strut insert.

What else will I need? Will the strut housing need to be cut?

• 3 months later...

Just waiting on funds and parts to do some of the bigger mods.

I picked up an Mitsu Evo center console. It's in two parts the front part i had to hack up quite a bit to get it to line up with my shifter and leave the heater exposed. once I swap in a VG or whatever I decided on I'll find a new front half of the console and it'll look better.

39d2e48a.jpg

4c04616b.jpg

I know where my gears are so I replaced the cracked top of the knob with a Rogue bottle cap.

2c3ed2e9.jpg

I put in some metric VDO gauges from a VW in but they aren't hooked up yet. I have to find which sending units I need. I'll eventually be putting the gauges where my non-working POS stereo is.

d201e446.jpg

Just today I finished cleaning up and painting my '69 grill. There's still some cleaning up to do on it but It looks way prettier than the flat black one with the yellow Datsun emblem. I'll end up making a custom '69 emblem for this out of stock aluminum.

Before

7c93a501.jpg

After

d95d1959.jpg

Oh and still not sure what to name this car.

It's either Noodle the Japanese band member from the Gorillaz.

Travis Bickle, the main character from Taxi Driver.

Big Bird, the car is yellow ATM, and my cousin's (blue) Dime is Grover.

Hopefully next lowering the car. Any suggestions for front strut inserts to use on a lowered dime with 280zx struts?

• 6 months later...

I've had this for a year! If I had time today I'd do something special for it.

Like wash it.

I've lowered the front some. Cut about an inch and a half out of the strut tubes and used 200sx inserts. Cut the front springs. With these wheels I can't go any lower. I could cut more coils off but I want it to still be drivable. The wheels are 7in wide 1in spacer and I think +38 offset. I can't even fit a coilover sleve between the strut and rim. I've got some ZX six spokes that I want to get powdercoated that way I can fit coilovers. I'll be going with t-bird or d50 springs for the rear. And hopefully rebuild the SUs and stick on before Canby. I need to start a list. Sucks this being a DD. I don't have the time. Spring break tho, I'm going to have this down the whole week and ride my bike to work, rain or shine.