Tim's 69 510 - Honest, I'm workin' on it

Yellowcar

Been making some progress on the 510 so I thought I would post a few pics.

The car is a 69 and has been stripped to nothing, seam welded, full cage, powdercoated and painted and will have a KA24DE with a crower stroker kit, valves etc. and ITBs

The car is now a roller :) , I finished the suspension and brakes, have the motor mounted (but not built)and still need to finish the oil pan and fit the header. I wanted to get started on the wiring and plumbing so I can be sure I have room for everything and can get the sensors all wired and fuel lines run.

Since I am re-wiring the entire car and using a Painless harness, Haltech ECU and a Racepack dash I have lots of wiring and relays to mount. I wanted to have all the controls and relays in one place so after looking at a lot of options I decided to make a panel that drops down from under the dash to hold everything. There wasn’t enough room to fit everything on the top side of the panel so I mounted the fuse panel through the panel and the ECU on the bottom. Everything else is on top.

I hinged the panel at the firewall and welded studs to it to mount all the relays. I also mad a raised section so I could screw the circuit breakers down without the screws showing on the other side.Then I painted it the color of the car and started mounting everything.

Now I am running wires… :hmm:

Here is the panel when it is closed

electrical%20panel%20closed.jpg

And open

electrical%20panel%20open.jpg

here is what the car looks like

IMG_2111%20small%20(800x600).jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Guess it’s been a while since I updated this….since the last post I have now finished a lot of the wiring I ran the wires for the headlights and cooling fans, added a Deutsch Connector for the fans. I also made a switch panel to replace the heater controls and wired up the switches for the headlights and heater fan (also with a Deutsch Connector to make it easier to remove later.)

I finally figured out the wiper wiring and built a harness with another Deutsch connector to fit the stock wiper switch and rerouted the wiring. The brake lights and dome lights now work. I found some sealed door jamb switches for the dome light so I used those rather than the stock open switches and made a little harness for each switch. So now all the stock 510 electrical systems are working and I just need to wire the ECU.

headlights.JPG?psid=1

wiper%20motor.JPG?psid=1

I also talked to the guys at Nissan motorsport and I gotta say I am very impressed (and surprised) with the Motorsports guy’s willingness to help. It’s not like I am running a full pro Nissan race program or anything so it is pretty cool of them

BTW you guys racing 510s now probably already know but, in case you don’t… Nissan Motorsports will give you a discount on their Comp parts if you sign up for their racer program. You don’t need to run any specific class or anything to qualify either (but they do pay some contingency money for some classes) you can send them mail at nmc.race@nissan-usa.com[ (They seem to be really busy there so responses can be slow at times so be sure to plan ahead)

Anyway, we talked for a while about my project and long story short I ended up ordering a bunch of new stuff for my engine. I decided that rather than trying to find someone good to port my head I would order the CNC posted head the motorsports has. The head is brand new and has a proven port design so it seems like a good way to go. The only issue is that my BC valves won’t fit the head since the head is designed to use valves with smaller dia stems. So, I decided to order the valves too but that meant I needed new retainers (only available in titanium) Valve springs (that must be made of gold and diamonds or I don’t understand the price) and as long as I was doing that I might as well get their cams etc…

So now I have all new stuff to build the head, seems like it should be a pretty good setup

Nissan comp CNC ported head

New race valves (with the smaller stem)

Spring seats

Valve springs

Titanium retainers and locks

Seals (different because of the smaller stem)

New cams

Set of one piece valve buckets

exhaust%20port.jpg?psid=1

CNC%20head.jpg?psid=1

• Like 1

Thanks

The ITBs are EFI hardware 50MM "Pro Race" tapered bore on the Nissan Motorsports Manifold.

I am really happy with the way the paint and bodywork turned out. The color on the sides has a lot of metal in it and really pops in the sunlight.

You can't really see it in the picture but there is a black pinstripe between the two colors as well. It is under the clear so the surface over the stripe is smooth.

I happened to find a good deal on a matching dark metallic copper king Ranch truck a while ago too.

• 5 years later...