BMW Projector Head Lamp Installation ??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

................ :confused: :blink: :blink: i kinda understood that.. the only thing in the diagram that kinda confuses me is hooking it up to the battery.. its not really confusing but yea... am i not quite sure how im suppose to do that

Did you buy the set from JDM510? Im thinking about upgrading my lighting

• 3 weeks later...

HID.JPG

Im running a set of Xenon HIDs like this.

They are supposedly(but unconfirmed by me) less amperes than a conventional bulb.

IT directly plugs into the stock harness.

I should say that I will be switching over to a relay setup in the future before the car is finished and drivable.

Its always nice to run low voltage through your switches.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

hey jonesy check your fuses when i put my e class projectors in with the mercedez yellow centers i didnt have it wired in right and a fuse blew which made one side really dim. i found it odd and it took me forever to track down.

and you read it right i somehow managed to get mercedez e class projectors and hids into my 510. those are expensive bulbs though damn d2s they are a bill a piece. but bright as shit.

• 4 weeks later...

I just happened across a cherry set of these Bmw ellipsoid lights at Pick n pull .. Not sure if im going to use them but they were super cheap (1/2 price sale going on now!) so got em for 16 bucks!... I was thinking if I run them I would like to figure out a way to use a dual filliment bulb in them so I can retain the hi/low and keep the mercedes fogs .. anyone know of a bulb that would work? Also, once you mod the bucket does that affect being able to go back to a standard light? im not completely sold on the look of them but am interested in mounting them up to see what they look like.

...I was thinking if I run them I would like to figure out a way to use a dual filliment bulb in them so I can retain the hi/low and keep the mercedes fogs .. anyone know of a bulb that would work?

IIRC, you want the 9004 bulb. It has Low, Hi and Ground for the three prong connector.

• 1 year later...

This is the rest of my mini-writeup (I had this on the wagon thread but it applies to others)

This is where I cut on the stock headlight mounting bracket

DSC02294.jpg

Depending which side you decide to put it on (headlight/highbeams) the cut is pretty much the same

This is where I cut on the headlight bucket

DSC02295.jpg

(I think I posted it before like a year ago...I left about 1"-1.5" on the bucket)

This is what it looks like installed

DSC02289.jpg

You can clearly see my ugly cut (the headlight finishers cover that s#!+ up anyways)

Backside

DSC02291.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

You can see how much the fatass ellipsoid sticks out compared to the headlights(excuse the mess)

RESULT

HID's are in!

2011-02-17202849.jpg

...and bright as fawk!

"light splash" isn't so bad

2011-02-17202909.jpg

ellipsoid fogs

2011-02-17202935.jpg

everyone knows the nice cut-off they have

2011-02-17203218.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else that's thinking of tackling this task. I know there's "sorta" writeups on this, but never seems like a complete one.

-goki

see I knew you had to cut the "cup" that they mount to, but I didnt know you needed to cut the backing part to...or is that just 'cause you put them in the "high" beam spot?

I still want to see them mouned in the LOW beam spot and how people massaged their fenders.

see I knew you had to cut the "cup" that they mount to, but I didnt know you needed to cut the backing part to...or is that just 'cause you put them in the "high" beam spot?

I still want to see them mouned in the LOW beam spot and how people massaged their fenders.

I'm going to mount them in the LOW beam spot on my 620. I'll post pics when I do it...

Goki,

Free Draft Beer for the assistance?

• 4 months later...

Kind of new to hid set ups. Been checking stuff out for months and I would like to do a projector hid set up on my 79 620. Will it work about the same as the 510 set up? What bmw head lights should I look for?

If you search ebay for BMW projectors or 510 headlamps, 5 3/4 projectors they usually come up. Goki might have a set left, might want to send him a message. Once you get the lamps, you'll need to purchase a HID retrofit kit.

If you search ebay for BMW projectors or 510 headlamps, 5 3/4 projectors they usually come up. Goki might have a set left, might want to send him a message. Once you get the lamps, you'll need to purchase a HID retrofit kit.

was gonna go with projectors havent really seen a good retofit that didnt have light all over the place was up all night checking out all kinda of lights an stuff think these might be the the best an clean looking they have sharp cut off so the light is not in everyones face... thats if the E30 lights will fit right after modifications... what do you think

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/1985-1991-BMW-E30-3-Series-Quad-Angel-Eye-Projector-Headlights-Black-Housing-%28Pair%29__E30LHL-BLK.aspx

• 3 weeks later...