What is minimal rust?

Just what is considered miminal rust. I think I got minimal rust, no Fred Flinstone floorboards. I have been looking on the web and when they say very little rust it shocks me to see what they are selling. I got rid of my old car because it had a few rust blisters but it was nothing like I,m seeing now. Anybody want to make a few extra bucks doing some rust prep?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started asking sellers what's wrong with their cars when I respond to an ad... I know how a car is supposed to run, and since I do a bit of work on them myself I don't like to pay more for "extras". Usually the ads I respond to are cheap anyways, so it's more of an issue of what needs to be fixed rather than what's in good condition...

As for the actual question... It depends on the type and age of the car, but usually I'd say a small spot where the rust hasn't penetrated through the metal, or maybe a hole up to about 1" in diameter somewhere in the center of the floorboards/trunk/inner fender... something that can be fixed with a quick grind, fiberglass mat, and/or a shot of rustoleum.

I liked it too until it was all over the sides of my bed...so I finally got motivated enough to sand it and primer it. Man those hooks took the longest in sanding the surface rust off. I'm glad I did it though...looks good now! :)

In Minnesota, THIS is "Minimum Rust"

76kc-7.JPG

vent1.JPG

Major rust in Minnesota means you can't identify what the brownish pile of former metal held together solely by the wiring harness used to be.

But seriously, in my book minimum rust is when you can lightly sand it off and not tell it was ever there. If it leaves small pits that can be filled with sanding primer, that's Moderate rust. Heavy rust has small holes and/or scale. Severe rust is the truck above (which I still drive, the frame is OK for now, and strangely the floors are still there, mostly).

to me minimal rust is kinda what has being said, some parts from the factory never were painted, or lightly painted, have brown surface rust on them, and can be ground off (frame) for body work, its kinda a gray area, it may need to be cut out at the bottom of a fender, but does not include inner fender wells, or structural members. ill fix just about anything with the right panels. my silver car was jsut about gone when i fixed it, cant even tell now!! ive dont the floors, hatch, hood, fenders, quarters, inner fenders, uni frame, shock towers, front upper frame, and front xmember. the only parts i never touched were the doors and roof.

when my brother got his Dart on his 16th birthday, he told my dad it was mostly surface rust. My father being the witty character that he is responded by reaching through the c-pillar and knocking on the rear side window.

some might say minimal when the entire car is "rust free" but the floor pans are gone...flinstone style.

I would agree, minimal would be surface only, easily repairable, and just this (ratsun) side of "Rust Free"