New guys 620 ratrod project

flatboy

Guest DatsuNoob

Very nice work on the bed. I'm doing almost the exact same thing right now. You're right, those hooks are apain to take out the right way. I did the 1st one the hard way, then I figured out I could pilot a small hole in the middle of the spot weld, drill it out from the back side(inside the bed), and plug weld the holes. Anyway. looking really good, I'll be following this build.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me when I was taking those hooks off I first crawled in the box and welded up those spot weld cause they sunk so much, then zip disc'd and ground everything down. Lotsa work.

shayne

• Like 1

That is amazing!

I've been working on mine since September and the chassis isn't even done! :(

You did this in,what,about 2 weeks?

Nice work! :thumbup:

Thanks guys.

The box was mostly done over christmas. I can get stuff done like a mad man, but I got tunnel vision and nothing else matters, so the Wife was none too pleased with my preformance but I am what I am, and I'm happy lol.

Now I need to spend some time doina more research on a 350/350 swap, that needs to happen in a big way on this thing. Any input or direction on this kinda project? pics?

shayne

• Like 1

This is a bad ass machine, takes some hefty modification, but you can do it. I've seen some fast progress, but DAMMMNNNN! You'll have that swap done in no time. You should throw some parts my way if you toss them for more room in the engine bay. :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I havn't done any more to the truck, got no space in the shop probably for a couple 3 months or so. Kinda sucks and my garage at home is full too.

I'm doing a megasquirt in my Toyota Tacoma pretty soon and need that thing running for the summer, so I'll be busy with that. Datsun is on hold.

shayne

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well basicly one year later and nothing really has happened to the truck. I did pick up a mint hood, front rad support, grill, bumper and lower bumper valance thingy all near perfect shape. I also scored a Toyota 2rz engine and tranny that I might consider swapping in the truck instead of the v8 idea.

Mostly just wanted to let you guys know this project hasn't died!!

Have a happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!

shayne

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So here is the engine thats going in the 620 - Toyota 2rz / w59 standard 5 speed tranny. Stock around 150 hp, crank.

IMG_7054.jpg

and a little shot of my daily driver with engine in the back

IMG_7055.jpg

picked up a oil pan from the Toyota T100 3rz engine which is a rear sump (2rz is a front sump)

Picture028.jpg

Stainless manifold, though I havn't decided on the turbo yet. First choice is a BorgWarner s256, but.........?

Picture037.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Had this bad boy sitting on the shelf for a few years, maybe too big lol!

Picture040.jpg

Edited by flatboy
  • Like 1

Homemade forward facing intake

Picture038.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture044.jpg

engine on the way out

Picture045.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture046.jpg

now just waiting on some tranny bolts and engine mounts to start the mock up, along with figuring out what kinda radiator can get squeezed in there.

Picture069.jpg

shayne

• Like 2

Did you mean a S256. Cuz if you didnt I hope you understand just how big a S356 is lol. You will have zero traction up to around 100mph and wont spool till around 5k or a little higher. But dam it would be awsome and absolutely haul a$$. If thats the case I am definately keeping an eye on this thread.

Oh I think you would love a S256 turbo. It'll be quite a lot of power for this tiny little truck and still spool semi decent. DSM's are spooling this around 5k it looks like.

Any way badass rig. Looks awsome and looks like your building it right. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1