New guys 620 ratrod project

flatboy

So I picked this piece up from a old guy at work with only 53,000km on it. Barn find, last registered in 1988. It was goina be a quick ratrod project that could be on the road in spring time but with my disorder(ocd, obsesive car disorder) it diddn't take to long and I was well in a 'over ones head' project.

IMG_6563.jpg

the front bumper and passengerside front fender got into not 1 but 2 fights with the local snow plow blade

IMG_6565.jpg

first thing was scrap the box cover and get rid of this wooden slider thingy he made

IMG_6620.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

to my surprise the box was in mint condition, with only some surface rust

IMG_6625.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine ran a tad rough, but threw in some Seafoam, and its smarter evertime I start it now

IMG_6569.jpg

Quick bath and wow!

IMG_6654.jpg

So the snowplow hammered the inner fender well a bit, but no biggy. Its just some nice steel to still work with.

IMG_6634.jpg

little bita rust here, but easy fix

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

old guy had a ton of stuff stuffed in this cab, but the one good thing was outa all the vehicles in his barn no mice got in this thing. There was mice dropping in the box but nothing in the cab.

IMG_6643.jpg

Cab is solid except for the recessed mount holes. I'll probably make a quick die and squish something in the press to simulate the recessed part.

IMG_6646.jpg

so, I hauled the box off, which was a sinch. All the bolts that connect the box to the frame came off very easily(wow was I lucky, lol)

At work I have a sandblaster, so I blasted it, primed it with Endura epfd, and sprayed the back half with Endura pewter pearl metalic.

IMG_6689.jpg

Got lower it right! I fabbed my own 4" steel blocks, even cut a 2 deg taper on them, and powdercoated gloss black.

IMG_6693.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, I started this at the end of October, but put in some hard hours over the christmas break. The engine bay only saw some light degreaser and a pressure washer.

shayne

• Like 1

A couple years ago I built my own powdercoating oven outa a old metal cabinet, so threw some chevy orange powder at the rims

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

You can also get a chrome looking powdercoat so did the licence plate frame and light holder, and fuel tank brackts. (real ratrod ish :blink: )

IMG_6721.jpg

my brother has a dip tank so in with the tailgate, and did my very very first body work job

IMG_6718.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_6697.jpg

seams were so nice and rust free that I couldn't help myself and started to weld them up, all ratrodish and that eh.

IMG_6708.jpg

ME!

IMG_6711.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6705.jpg

sandblasted top to bottom

IMG_0013.jpg

primed with Endura epfd epoxy

IMG_0017.jpg

painted with Endura gloss black

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

• Like 1

Gotter masked up for some undercoating

IMG_6750.jpg

undercoated

IMG_6751.jpg

now again sprayed with 2 coats Endura gloss black

IMG_6756.jpg

IMG_6759.jpg

fuel tank was wire wheeled to remove surface scale, then brushed on rust seal which turn to a hard black coating, primed with Endura epfd, then top coated with Endura graphite grey

IMG_6780.jpg

sweet licence plate light

IMG_6781.jpg

starting the body work

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

oh ya and took the hooks off. Not just ground off quickly but actually cleaned up nicely. Wow those hooks are major time consuming to get off if you wana do a nice job, like probably 6-8 hrs total including the tailgate. There is not alot of room to get in there and grind them off, plus if you slip it takes meat off right away.

• Like 1

:o WOW! Lookin really great so far man! Great idea to go the extra mile on the underside too! Keep that rust monster at bay for a good long time! I like the powder coating box too! :cool:

Any idea on color choices? I love all the pics..keep em comin! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for the intrest and compliments guys.

I'm a diehard car guy just like most people here with a common intrest, and for me the best thing about this project is I've never gotten into body work till this truck. One of my best exfiends had always done this kinda work for me. Well with him outa the picture I figured if you can't do it yourself your introuble shayne. So ........

I pick away at this thing like a mad man over christmas

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

I don't get to crazy doing anything to the inside of the box. At first I thought I'd spray in a box liner, but with how nice a shape the inside of the box was I decided best to leave it alone. A handfull of small dings here and there, ratrodish.

etch primed with Endura ep2c

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

a few hrs later I hit it with some Endura 421 high build primer. Put it on like it was stolen.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

• Like 1

I ended up going to the local body shop supply place and buying a 6 piece Dura block - block sanding kit. Now anybody that is thinking of doing body work needs this kit. I think it made the whole differance in the world. I mean it does All the work, the only thing you gota do is rub back and forth a couple hundred thousand times, but it'll show your low spots and you'll rub though on your high spots. Take care of them and block it some more and it'll actually turn out half azz'd.

IMG_0098.jpg

now primed(sealed) with Endura epfd

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

seam sealed with Proform

IMG_0108.jpg

more pics to come tomorrow

shayne

• Like 1

holy smokes! i think 'rat' doesn't apply to this project in the conventional way... there's too much quality work going on here! this is on it's way to being a show truck.

either way, very nice project.

• Like 1

Picture098.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Top coated with Endura ex2c black no gloss. This is actually a paint so it won't chalk, and is tough as hell.

Picture100.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture103.jpg

truck is now up and running again

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Pretty much offa the datsun project now. I got 4 months of real work ahead of me for my job and no spare time to work on the truck :(

Still goina pick away at it here and there, but will keep it mobile till I'm ready to do the motor swap.

The truck started the first day of the build being called a ratrod project, but by the second day it was into full speed resto project. Not too sure what happened, but my friends wern't talking me outa anything. Oh well good times.

shayne

• Like 3