How is the heater supposed to work in a 620?

sick620

This might be a stupid ? but I think my heater dosnt work how its supposed to. I know that if you put the top slider half way thats the defrost setting. and with mine if i slide them both to the right it just comes out by my feet. What is it supposed to do if you pull the bottom knob out TWO times. Mine NEVER comes out of the top vents. Can someone just explain how a full functioning 620 heater is supposed to work?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I'm not professional at this but in my truck, the bottom knob you pull out for the fan speeds. If it only blows out the bottom then the cable is either froze or unhooked. My 73 and my 74 both don't work right anymore. One my 73, I just lift the door and put a pop bottle under it so it will defrost. I sent a pic that will give you an idea of what I did.

heater.jpg

It supposed to work like this (don't you have an owners' manual???)

19.jpg

If you pull the switch to the first postion, the fan comes on low-speed. If you pull out to the second position and the fan goes off, then either the switch is bad, wiring is disconnected or (very common) the resistor in burned out. That resistor is on the heater proper, not in the dash control.

ive had my truck for awhile now and last week i finally got around to fixing it, it turns out my resistor wasnt burned out but simply disconnected, when i took out my heater core for cleaning i found a tiny little screw and nut, i didnt think ahything of it untill i took out the resistor, one side of the resistor is crimped in and the other is held with that little screw!!!!, never did find the original screw after i washed otu my core but i put another one in it and presto!!!!!!! heat!!!!

• Like 1

Well, I'm not professional at this but in my truck, the bottom knob you pull out for the fan speeds. If it only blows out the bottom then the cable is either froze or unhooked. My 73 and my 74 both don't work right anymore. One my 73, I just lift the door and put a pop bottle under it so it will defrost. I sent a pic that will give you an idea of what I did.

heater.jpg

get under there and check your cable silly!!!!! you can remove the clip and the cable then adjust them to how you want them, all you have to do is close that little trap door when you remove the cable, then with the cable hooked up the door closed and the knob on the dash pushed to closed you put the little cable clip back on!!!! instantly adjusted so that when you push the knob it closes completely!!!! no mor epop bottle!!!! you can do this with the other cables as well, its very simple and you will understand what im talking about once you get under there, i didnt have a clue how it worked so i layed under my dash for about 15 minutes and move the cable and doors unitll it all made sense, its actaully extremely simple, im glad that datsun engineers made this shit so you can work on it

• Like 1

heater.jpg

your heater valve is unhooked, i see where it is cliped onto the bracket but the hole in the end of the cable is not hooked onto the valve, if you hook it up you wont be so hott in the summer!!!!

• Like 1
  • 10 years later...

Who can answer this ?
I know the function, learned it in another Datsun post.
I learned the rest with NOS OEM parts to test w/ my teeth.
The nut & lockwasher are steel. The screw is not ceramic, but it's function is to be an insulator.
Someone here should know this shit

image.thumb.png.1142ff2e059ef7de92108770f2f52298.png