Camber problems

Skib

ok, so my goon is dropped like 2in and all is well and good except the fronts got some bad negative camber thats wearing out the inside tread like mad. They havent been on there more than a few months and the insides already bald. What have you guys done to fix this kinda problem?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you see them tilted in at the tops? I use a magnetic torpedo level that sticks to the rim to check my Sundance's camber. Could it be toe in or out?

If they are in at the top, the strut needs to be positioned away from the motor to get the tire vertical. You will need camber plates for this. They look like this:

710stuff013Large.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is shortening the lower control arm to draw the bottom of the tire inward to make the tire vertical. Again you would need a custom adjustable arm for this.

Sorry, I'm no camber expert and still learning. Have only owned a car for a few weeks. :D

Can you see them tilted in at the tops? I use a magnetic torpedo level that sticks to the rim to check my Sundance's camber. Could it be toe in or out?

If they are in at the top, the strut needs to be positioned away from the motor to get the tire vertical. You will need camber plates for this. They look like this:

710stuff013Large.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is shortening the lower control arm to draw the bottom of the tire inward to make the tire vertical. Again you would need a custom adjustable arm for this.

Sorry, I'm no camber expert and still learning. Have only owned a car for a few weeks. :D

ya it could be the toe too (its dark so I cant go take a good look)

Im hoping I dont have to buy camber plates (already need to get a set for the Z) so I was gonna see what other people have done to prevent such extreme tire wear

Chances are is the toe issue.

You could source a pair of 710 upper hats ,Will correct a bit of negative camber if only "dropped" that amount

I got it already lowered but on the fronts the bottom spring perch has been cut off and dropped down and is held with a ring clamp (not sure what its actually called, its a doughnut shaped clamp with an allen head bolt on each side)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I got it already lowered but on the fronts the bottom spring perch has been cut off and dropped down and is held with a ring clamp (not sure what its actually called, its a doughnut shaped clamp with an allen head bolt on each side)

It has the "muffler" type clamp.

Is the toe set even or "in"?

The 710 upper "hat" does give a bit of correction to the camber(offset)

i would check the toe be for i put my zx stuf in i had my car as low as yours and didnot have camber issues

Guest 510kamikazifreak

not a clue :confused:

Id have to go try and eyeball it tomorrow when its light out

I would start there see what toe you have.

Get a tape measure and measure it(ballpark)

The "ratsun" fix for the camber is the 710 hats if it is needed.

This thread is bullshit without pictures!!!! :D Seriously though, I'd bet toe too. Even 2" drop shouldn't affect the front camber that much. Get some pics up. Also, someone could have bent the strut tube to gain camber. Seen that done as a cheap fix for cornering. Get pics with and without the wheel on. That would be good.

Mike! You got a 710? Did I miss the thread where you posted up pictures or what?

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yeah , but that didn't stop me from wiring in a stereo when I was 15 , it was the smoke that came out after turning it on ! :blink: :frantics: :rofl: hahaha ! never work in the dark like that again :wacko: , lol

Must of had some sort of "light" with the smoke :lol:

There is no smoke without a fire(name that tune) :P

I have a wagon lowered about the same amount maybe more and I am using ZX struts and ground controls. I have very little negative camber or almost 0 camber. I am using bump steer spacers. The only way you can correct camber is either to use camber plates or bump steer spacers or even maybe adjustable control arms that can let you move the strut inward. also don't forget to get a alignment and adjust toe also. you should consider changing all bushings if you have not done so as the car is pretty old and a lot of the bushings are or maybe so worn it can cause a lot of freeplay in suspension adding to wearing out items like tires.

I have a wagon lowered about the same amount maybe more and I am using ZX struts and ground controls. I have very little negative camber or almost 0 camber. I am using bump steer spacers. The only way you can correct camber is either to use camber plates or bump steer spacers or even maybe adjustable control arms that can let you move the strut inward. also don't forget to get a alignment and adjust toe also. you should consider changing all bushings if you have not done so as the car is pretty old and a lot of the bushings are or maybe so worn it can cause a lot of freeplay in suspension adding to wearing out items like tires.

Im going to look at the toe tomorrow cuz its more than just loose bushings, Iv driven dattos around with all stock nearly decayed bushings lol and Iv never had tire wear this extreme

or off set control arm bushing's will fix the camber

Does it steer real easy Skib( too easy)?

lol I cant really judge that, Iv was DDing my Z before this.

the steering box is "loose" so it likes to pull off to one side when I hit ruts ect in the freeway :rofl: but thats about it.

the steering box is "loose" so it likes to pull off to one side when I hit ruts ect in the freeway :rofl: but thats about it.

I would say that pull to one side feel when you hit ruts on the freeway may not be a loose steering box but maybe more the tension control rod bushings are worn out. I had that feeling and changed bushings and that helped a lot but all in all changing all bushings and worn out suspension parts and tightening up the steering box and getting a alignment did a lot for my car. car is steady at high speeds and drives well all in all.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

:poke:

:rofl:

R&P

Compared to strong arm :sneaky:

Have you "tightened"(adjusted) the box yet?(tighten and box in one sentence does not go together murphys law) :ninja:

I would say that pull to one side feel when you hit ruts on the freeway may not be a loose steering box but maybe more the tension control rod bushings are worn out. I had that feeling and changed bushings and that helped a lot but all in all changing all bushings and worn out suspension parts and tightening up the steering box and getting a alignment did a lot for my car. car is steady at high speeds and drives well all in all.

lol ya I know the bushings are contributors to that problem as well. It dosent really bug me so I havent touched them :rofl: