whats up with the site.... Oh, just chillin'.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welp, I have about 5 hours by my watch until The New Insomniacs take over this thread. I should be in bed in about 2. Look forward to your overnight shenanigans, guys.

Bought stickers.'

Will donate to Jeff's PayPal after the new year. Anybody else?

for the Heinlein readers out there: TANSTAAFL.

i smoked a old chevy pickup today in my datsun heh, poor bastard couldnt get traction hahahaha, wel i had to battle it my self but not as bad.. i didnt even know he was gonna race so my take off was hella slow :( he looked pretty embarassed but humble, im sure he coulda won on a dry road..

Oo! Cake! :D

Here's what I was doing last night. Also installed the flexalite electric fan. 10". I think it will be enough to cool it at idle, we shall see. You can see it briefly in the vid.

I haven't been able to find a replacement headlight relay yet. The ones at work are close, but not quite and all are special order. I'd rather not cut the connector and wire it separately. I did replace the light switch and that made a huge difference in the brightness of the running lights, but the headlights still suck, so I'm going for all relays and grounds.

Beware, video is about 100 megs.

http://www.mattalbertson.net/coilbumpstops.avi

Two 10 inchers huh? I only have the one. How often do yours come on? And what kind of control do you have? I'm going to put in an actual fan switch this time, I'm tired of the pot box with the probe. Mine is set up as a pusher also, just not that much room on the motor side, especially how the focus radiator fits in there. Wish it was closer to the core support, but oh well.

Edited by HRH

Well, I copied Byron's twin fan setup, they mounted as pushers between the grill and the rad support. I don't know how often they come on as I just installed them and haven't driven the car much, but, they push a hell of a lot of air through the rad! I had a single 12" as a puller and it wasn't enough last summer though. Could have been the rad too. I've put in a new Rabbit rad now to go with the 2 fans. It's controlled by a thermal switch to a relay for main power. They should come on at 185F or so, it's a stock VW thermal control bolted into the drivers side tank of the rad.

I lost the fan on the last club cruise about 50 miles out of town and it holed the rad along with it. That's why the fans are now mounted on the rad support away from the rad and with 2 if I lose one I still have something left!

I've been running the stock L16 fan with no clutch, which is only barely longer than 10", think it's 11, and no shroud either. I think with the Focus radiator and the 10 inch electric, (which does push a crapload through) I should be good. But she didn't like last summer either. While going it was fine, but at idle she tended to get really hot. I could still bring the temperature down, but she had to be running at 2000 to get enough sucking to cool.