Need motor input

fuzz's '71 510

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an opinion, but the L20B fits, is available, comes with up-graded ignition, 5 spd transmissions, rads, alternators, oil pumps, water pumps. Even looks stock. Internal parts form a Z series motor can be added to make a hybrid or 'stroker' motor. Up to 2X stock power levels.

Next most common transplant would be a KA24 E or DE motor and tranny. Modifications are needed for engine and tranny fitment, rad, wiring and fuel delivery if EFI is kept, exhaust. Engine is about 100+ lbs heavier than stock. Gives about 2+ times the stock power output but there's aftermarket support for almost unlimited power.

Next is the most talked about swap, SR20DET. Same as the KA swap but almost 3 X the power and potential for unlimited power. Parts are expensive and somewhat rare.

Last a VG30E (possibly DE or DET but this is over kill for a 2,200 lb.510) Weighs almost as much as the KA motor. One of Nissans toughest everlasting trouble free motors needing only oil, water and gas. With the 3 liter size it would have monster low end torque.

Edited by datzenmike

The L series is certainly the easiest since it bolts right in, also prob the cheapest as well when you take that into account. Very reliable motors.

All that said, not as much fun as a vg lol.

If your asking that question though I really vote you just drop in a L20b like Mike suggests.

Well, let me try and go a different route. All of the yards around here suck when it comes to any L motors. During the time when they were building that damn dam over in China(Japan?) they crushed everything because the scrap prices skyrocketed. I have looked at the SR motors, but I really don't want to put in a turbo as this is not a race car but a cruiser. So what can I put in that can be found easy and cheap? I've looked at the jdm motors also and really don't know how reliable they are when they say they have between xx,xxx-xx,xxx miles on the motor and who would be a good vendor. So now which way should I go? Thanks.

Fuzz

In that case, A Carb. type Z24 and a 5 sp. both can be found in a nissan truck (81 up to ? ) and will fit with some small mods and the right combo of parts.

if a Z24 is not available then a KA, more work to swap. both should be reliable.

if you go the Z24 route, later an L head can be swapped on, swap motor mounts, pan, and bellhousing, and you are back to stock looking, but lots more power.