510 Rear Sway Bar?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

no need for a rear bar, If you are running rear coilovers just go up in rear spring rate with the added spring rate it will eliminate the roll but still allow for articulation in the rear suspension and tire contact with the ground

• Like 2

no need for a rear bar, If you are running rear coilovers just go up in rear spring rate with the added spring rate it will eliminate the roll but still allow for articulation in the rear suspension and tire contact with the ground

Right now I'm running stock springs, before I can afford coilovers I'm going to get the D50 or roadster springs and cut them. Ive heard lots of people say a rear bar isnt needed. I figure if I'm going to get a bigger front bar why not order a rear at the same time.

why not spend the $$ on stiffer springs or save for CO???

i dont run one

I agree...What are your plans with the car? Like Hang I drive my 510s hard and autocross them I am lucky enough to have friends with an assortment of coilover springs so for me setting up a car is a constant thing depending on the track and surface so I am always messing with the car with a adjustable rear bar your stuck with 3 changes with rear coilovers the changes are open to a quick spring change, it takes me about 15 minutes to do a spring change and it totally changes the feel of a car and can get the car balanced with the front pretty easy. with that said I am struggling for a balanced set up at the moment mainly because im lasy and dont feel like making a spring change LOL

I wouldn't spend too much money on one at first. Maybe try one and see where it goes. A rear sway bar will increase oversteer. Increasing the stiffness will increase oversteer. It's possible the car could use/need a rear sway bar and will accept it

First, why do you think you need a rear sway bar? What does your car do now that you think a rear sway bar will help and not make worse? On hard cornering which end breaks loose first? Does the back end 'come loose' first and try to come around? this would be oversteer. Does the car tend to resist turning into a corner and follow a wider turn that you want? This would be understeer. Or is it equal and when pushed hard in a turn does it brake loose evenly or with very slight predictable oversteer?

If you want to reduce oversteer and increase understeer you can reduce this by:

Move weight to the front or reduce rear weight

Decreasing slightly, the front tire pressure

Increase slightly, the rear tire pressure

Run stiffer front shocks or replace worn front shocks

Run softer rear shocks

Run less front camber or have front aligned.

Increase rear camber if IRS equipped.

Increase front sway bar diameter/stiffness

Decrease rear sway bar diameter/stiffness

If you want to reduce understeer and increase oversteer you can by:

Move weight to the rear like relocating the battery or reduce front weight.

Increase slightly, the front tire pressure

Decreasing slightly, the rear tire pressure

Run softer front shocks

Run stiffer rear shocks or replace worn shocks

Run more front camber or have front aligned.

Decrease rear camber if IRS equipped.

Decrease front sway bar diameter/stiffness

Increase rear sway bar diameter/stiffness

So as you can see there are lots of thing you can do to tune your ride for handling. Just adding a rear sway bar can easily add to your oversteer if you have it now. Changing even just one thing will affect everything else.

• Like 2

Wow, so much info, thanks. This was just to kinda add to my list for the future. This car is a daily first and foremost. When I corner the car feels like it's on it's side, so much body roll. It's stock in the rear. I want to lower it, I'll find some springs that bring it down and stiffen it up for now. CO are down the road but looks like I'll keep the sway bar on the back burner. I've heard 510s handle best with soft springs and large sway bars. But I've heard most people with rear bars have them disconnected. I'm going to need new shocks soon, so I'll just save up more and get CO.

Well if you add a rear sway bar it may not affect the oversteer that much. If it does, you could add some stiffness to the front bar to balance this or alter anything in the top column to reduce understeer.

Lowering the car will lower the center of gravity and cancel some of that 'top heavy' feeling too. Beware lowering too much to the point where the rear camber is badly affected and the tires tilt inward at the top. Hard cornering can add toe to the rear tires and the car will begin to steer from the back. This should obviously be avoided. This is an IRS problem not present in a solid axle.

Wow, so much info, thanks. This was just to kinda add to my list for the future. This car is a daily first and foremost. When I corner the car feels like it's on it's side, so much body roll. It's stock in the rear. I want to lower it, I'll find some springs that bring it down and stiffen it up for now. CO are down the road but looks like I'll keep the sway bar on the back burner. I've heard 510s handle best with soft springs and large sway bars. But I've heard most people with rear bars have them disconnected. I'm going to need new shocks soon, so I'll just save up more and get CO.

One thing is, everybody drives different and likes their car to fit there style and feel, so there is no magic setup. Just do the research, and then play with it till it fits you the best. Everybody likes different setups.

I run an adjustable rear bar in mine, and I love it, I'd never give it up. However, I've run many many different setups till I found what I liked the best. It took many years of tweaking to get it dialed just the way I like it (different spring rates, dampening, sway bars, bushings, tires, etc... ).

Right now I'm doing a KA swap in my buddies dime, and he loves his setup, and says it's the greatest setup there is. I personally think it's way too tall and way too soft. Mine is much lower and much stiffer, and feels good to me that way with my driving style, so everybody is different.

Also, anybody who does a lot of racing will tell you, you have to change stuff up for every different track, and this if mostly true. If it's a street car mostly though, then you should be able to get it set up nice for every day driving and still have fun at the local autocross and such with no issues.

No rear bar in mine, springs are stiff enough. Took out the rear bar in the Miata. Would reinstall for high speed track driving, but not for autocross. Not enough articulation to make it around cones without making the ass end super loose.