Electric Turbo Fail

i found this on zilvia thought some might get a kick out of it...

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/292173-electric-turbo-fail.html#post3156388

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/garrett-electric-custom-turbo-charger-project-LOOK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20ae3eaa77QQitemZ140362295927QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Incase you cant read the discription

this is a project of mine, its a garrett turbo charger with an electric blower motor connected to it so it eliminates the pain of running all the exaust piping and other pains of turbo charging your ride, plus not to mention the money you will be saving and still get the power you desire. right now it has a wall plug on the motor so you will need a cross over from that to your battery( they have them at walmart for around 20 bucks and what that does is you plug it into your cigurette lighter and it has plug in ports for the two prong wall plug. this electric turbo is all silled up with silicone so no air leakes. you may want to add another layer of sealeant though just to be safe. im not sure exactly how much boost it pushes but i do know it blows enough to use it as a leafe blower. it has alot of power that would make a big difference in you ride.i dont have any of the air tubes or filter for it. what ya see in the pictures is what ya get. like i said this is a project of mine that i built my self. i was gonna put onto my eclipse but the computer went out of it so im selling the parts i have for it. this this pushs alot more air than those plastic electric super chargers. if you have any questions feel free to ask. i only except paypal and only ship inside the usa thank you

Edited by JDM510
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a doable idea.. just not enough power from that tiny electric motor.. I know BMW was researching a hybrid turbo to reduce lag at one point.

I will admit, I bought the gatorsupercharger book.. Dont goto their site right now through as it seems to have been infected with some kinda trojan but they suggest making a supercharger using the metal impeller off a toro leaf vaccum for the complete DIY supercharger.. They also suggest just using the turbo and welding a bearing and pulley onto the turbo to make it a supercharger. :lol:

You wont get much boost from either but lol 5-8psi for below 200 bucks isn't too bad.. But I'd not want any of those jury rigged contraptions on anything but a junkyard motor.

Most turbos run 150-250 THOUSAND rpms to run even low boost. I highly doubt either with a pulley as a sc or any cost effective electric motor would yield anything close to 5-7psi.

Idk the math thats just what I think when I apply the logic lol.

I think the sc conversion is the most legit but you couldn't just weld a bearing/pulley on there you'd have to add a gear(s) to up the rpms to optimum levels.

Edited by 72240z
Most turbos run 150-250 THOUSAND rpms to run even low boost. I highly doubt either with a pulley as a sc or any cost effective electric motor would yield anything close to 5-7psi.

Idk the math thats just what I think when I apply the logic lol.

I think the sc conversion is the most legit but you couldn't just weld a bearing/pulley on there you'd have to add a gear(s) to up the rpms to optimum levels.

think laaaaarge pulley lol and well psi isn't the issue its CFM and I dont know how much it would make.. I dont wana spend the time or money on something iffy so I bought myself an SC14 off a toyota.

think laaaaarge pulley lol and well psi isn't the issue its CFM and I dont know how much it would make.. I dont wana spend the time or money on something iffy so I bought myself an SC14 off a toyota.

Large isn't the word, if you have a T28 turbine wheel of 60mm that needs to spin at 180k rpm hooked up to a engine spinning 4000rpm you would need a pulley 1890mm in diameter lol. It wouldn't even fit under the hood. You HAVE to have gears, thats why all centrifugal sc's (that I know of anyway) do.

I still say psi, a head will only flow some much cfm naturally. Then you have to compress the air in order to gain more. no?

Edited by 72240z

That's RoostMonkey's Lemons car (the guy that makes the RTz mounts and LS1 coil brackets, etc.)

I'm not sure if he was going for a rising sun hood, but he did say he has plans to sawzall the hood for the blower.

I don't see any advantage to mounting the blower in the back, unless you like 2-stroke exhaust and noise...