new 510 concept car

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i would think that depending on which one you're talking about it could be as simple as like a widebody kit. like there's a kit for crx's that is made up of 11 pieces and it makes it look like a whole 'nother vehicle almost. parts of it are bolt on, parts have to be epoxied to the body. the key here is cost. that widebody kit is something like 2k. the only reason it is produced is because the crx is a stupid popular car. and if you're talking about just one car, or a "one-off" production, the cost is pretty high, unless you do it all yourself... then it's just a matter of building molds (a couple different ways to do that) laying the glass and doin the body work. unless you want it all metal, then that's a whole nother issue... haha

here's the "black widow 2 wide body kit" for the crx: http://www.autotoyaz.com/blwisped12pi.html

i was just thinking of another example of this type of building fibreglass pieces to modify an existing vehicle to an extreme degree... veilside's supra kits.

this is a stock toyota supra (for those that don't know).

toyota-supra-f3q-a.jpg

this is the 99 anniversary fortune model, no longer available, aprox. $5-6k

Veilside_Supra.jpg

that is basically another car... you're talking about front and rear bumpers, two front fenders, side skirts, hood, both rear quarters, rear hatch, spoiler, headlights, another lil piece on the door, this one also includes mirrors.

I'm torn on this one, the 510 is so classy as an old skool car but then there was that old Z in the JCCS show all done up with 350Z stuff and it rocked. I'm also the one that always complains about not having all the comforts in my 510. I'll just build mine how I like it and find more to complain about. (like too slow or something)

P.S. My vote goes to NEO 510 all the way.

i agree about the comforts... my plan is to build my 521 with no comforts basically... but then sometimes i think i want all of it... i think the best bet for me personally is to have two vehicles... one stripped out, one with all the options... then i'll be happy :D haha yea right

• 2 months later...

That is pretty sweet looking...

But personally, it kinda scares me. I mean, 510's are a classy car, that's why we love 'em. Any Datsun is special, even if it's just for the reason that they aren't made anymore. It just makes it that much more fun to find parts for. If they start making the new ones... I just think it'll kill the original. Maybe not completely, but you'd get all these kids running around modernized 510's, thinking they're hot shit because they've got a look-alike, and then things could change. Skylines were cool, and now everybody drives them. If it gets to the point where the new 510's become the new Honda Civic/Volkswagen Golf/Mitsubishi Lancer/whatever, then people aren't going to bother drawing a distinction between the folks who have taken the time to restore and modify the classics and the kids who buy the new ones for looks...

Maybe I'm just jealous. I want to share Datsuns with the world, but not too much. I like my Datsun for what it is, but the fact that it's a classic and it's mine just makes it that much more special.

End rant...

That is pretty sweet looking...

But personally, it kinda scares me. I mean, 510's are a classy car, that's why we love 'em. Any Datsun is special, even if it's just for the reason that they aren't made anymore. It just makes it that much more fun to find parts for. If they start making the new ones... I just think it'll kill the original. Maybe not completely, but you'd get all these kids running around modernized 510's, thinking they're hot shit because they've got a look-alike, and then things could change. Skylines were cool, and now everybody drives them. If it gets to the point where the new 510's become the new Honda Civic/Volkswagen Golf/Mitsubishi Lancer/whatever, then people aren't going to bother drawing a distinction between the folks who have taken the time to restore and modify the classics and the kids who buy the new ones for looks...

Maybe I'm just jealous. I want to share Datsuns with the world, but not too much. I like my Datsun for what it is, but the fact that it's a classic and it's mine just makes it that much more special.

End rant...

In this case, I feel that it would be more like Mustangs. People love the old ones to death. So when (if) the new one comes out, the new guys would be able to look back and appreciate what brought about their car. The foundation if you will. But the only way that could be the case is if more 510s are preserved, or at least, not crushed/rusted to death/totalled.

It does seem to take away from the class of a resurrected vehicle when it is so teched out that there is no room for tinkering in the garage anymore. That is where the Skyline has gone, the '09 has turbos that are built into the manifold with some piss poor excuse for better engineering but we all know its so they don't get ditched and replaced before the car gets home. I have to have a car that I can work on or I will become an alchoholic. All of the new cars have the same lines and I don't think the 510 could be resurrected without the big car company really making a mess of it, over-engineering it so it recycles it own exhaust or has some messed up thing like....traction control.

I agree with the above... There are a lot of nice cars on the road nowadays, but it's too much hassle to try to do anything with them. There's auto-repair courses offered at the trades college here, and they have complete courses (and I think even diploma programs) based entirely on one maker...

The new Volkswagen "Rabbit" comes to mind as well... Personally, I love the old Rabbits. If I hadn't lost my job some years ago, that would've been my first car. But now it's gone from being a little econobox to a luxobarge... too many amenities, safety features, etc. Just not the same thing.

I love the NEO 510. I think it would be awesome for that to go into production. I'd still want to tinker with the old ones, but to have a DD with that kind of style and heritage....SWEET! I really like that Chrysler did the Prowler and the PT Cruiser....gives some choice over the typical "box" that all the others have available.

Besides....if the NEO was produced right now, then 30yrs from now, our grandkids would be restoring them, talking about how their grandpa used to drive them around in one.

Personally, I LOVE the Neo. It is very close to the original in overall side appearance. I would like to see the side divit put back in. A new twist to the original grill would be very cool as well. Not this two piece crap that makes it look like a BMW.:unsure: The first one posted is a little long in the ass.

If you look at cars like the new Mustangs, Camaros, and the Chargers, they all have VERY strong styling cues from the cars they were modeled after.

As to the chat about if it should be remade, ABSOLUTELY!!! Think of what it would do to the value of our beloved original 5-n-dimes.:rolleyes: If the cars could be made close to the original design on the interior yet still keep it simple, that would be a great tribute to the Datsun heritage. How about an optional VG power plant??:D

Just my $.02

Jester

If they do release this, I'm pretty sure we all agree that it should be an economy car that is relatively cheap, but still and FR platform. But heres a few questions I have for you guys:

Do you think that they'd release it as a Nissan 510 or would they throw the Datsun on there like that thing they did with the truck? And if it were to be the Datsun 510, would you like it? I think it'd be cool to see the marque brought back even if only for 1 car.

How cool would it be if there were parts that would be usable on the 68-73 510? Like suspension bits that wouldn't need heavy modification. A bit out there yes, but we can dream can't we?

Alright, well everyone's posts are starting to sway my opinion...

Interchangable parts would be pretty awesome, and it would be kinda cool if they made it an updated version of the original. The new Mini's look pretty nice on the inside, and they seem pretty zippy, but they're a bit big compared to the original, so as long as the sizing is pretty close it could work.

As for Nissan vs Datsun 510, I think it would be cool to have the "Datsun" on it, but I think it makes more sense to call it a Nissan. But, I think they should call it a 511... just like the 521 is the next "generation" 520, the 511 would be the next generation 510 (even though they evolved over the years).