Toasted my Ratsun

datsunaholic

Well, it was bound to happen. 8 years out of a $95 truck. Not sure if it's dead dead, but it lost the coolant on I-90 in stop-and-go traffic, I didn't notice until the speed picked up and it was pinging hard. Look at gauge... buried in the H zone, and the secondary gauge was all the way on the high peg (past 300). By the time I got off the freeway hoses were blowing off.

Since the body is trashed (not a single good panel, except maybe the doors) it's not really worth fixing unless somehow the head survived. The engine burned oil anyway, so it's not like it was my best engine. I'll know this weekend when I can get around to finding where all the leaks are, but I'm not optimistic.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was bound to happen. 8 years out of a $95 truck. Not sure if it's dead dead, but it lost the coolant on I-90 in stop-and-go traffic, I didn't notice until the speed picked up and it was pinging hard. Look at gauge... buried in the H zone, and the secondary gauge was all the way on the high peg (past 300). By the time I got off the freeway hoses were blowing off.

Since the body is trashed (not a single good panel, except maybe the doors) it's not really worth fixing unless somehow the head survived. The engine burned oil anyway, so it's not like it was my best engine. I'll know this weekend when I can get around to finding where all the leaks are, but I'm not optimistic.

Do I hear "Tapps" gently playing in the background????:(

probably not the 4x4. I think he bought both 4x4s within the last 4 years.

I think its time to let go. Its only one out of your army of Dattos. Sell it on Craigslist. Should be worth $700 according to what some people are asking for beat up non-running trucks. ;)

hey, don't give up faith on that head. i bought my truck with a blown head gasket, but i was too excited not to drive it. i took it for a spin and when i got back that thing was whistling like a tea kettle! i took the head to the machine shop and they said it was still in perfect condition. they pressure tested it, dyed it, and then used the good ole straight edge and it was good every time. those things are tough! if you have the time and room to do it, part it out!

It's not the 4X4. If it was the 4X4 I'd have another engine in it by Sunday. It's the beater '74 I bought when I had no running trucks and needed to get some bark. The '74 came from an abandoned vehicle auction, after the prior owner got picked up driving drunk on a suspended license after rear-ending a bus. I bought at the towyard auction (there were 2 620s that day) because it 1) had DWLS written on it meaning it ran and 2) it had a dogleg 5-speed in it.

I've tried selling it before when it WAS running. Only interest was in parts, and all anyone wanted was the transmission.

Sad part is it's got the best suspension of all my 2WD trucks- best rear springs, front end is tight, no slop, etc. Just the body is total trash since it's beat in on both ends and the bed is holed. Well, I still plan on checking it out this weekend to be sure. I mean, I DO have spare engines, it's just not really worth it when I could fix a truck that's in better shape. Wrong time of the year though.

Let's not get too far ahead here... I'm not parting it out YET. Or even selling it YET; I have too many parts that could go straight to better homes in my own fleet first. I'll entertain offers, but I can say one thing- I'll take less for the whole truck than that transmission alone. It's a very clean shifting dogleg (better than the one in my 510). It's the cost of pulling it, of course.

On the flip side, it still starts. Had to get my trailer and haul it back, but the truck was on the 2nd level of an underground parking garage. Poured a half-gallon of water in it, drove it out of the garage and up on the trailer. Water is coming out the head gasket forward of #1 plug, not far from the timing chain area. That was the whistling sound I heard. Hoses weren't coming off- looks like a heater hose failed, or the radiator. Hard to tell since water is coming out of both.

Sounds ALOT better then my old Mazda 323(RWD). Doing Pizza Hut delivery in it one day and finally killed the engine, it was going through 5 liters of water A DAY! Cracked the head in 3 places, cracked the block and warped the head so bad I could stick a feeler gauge in without cracking the head bolts. Shame because the car was pretty good, apart from eating 2 engines.

when i bought my truck i was under the impression it needed a head gasket.. well it did need one.. but more importantly it needed A HEAD! ... so new head and gasket set.. timing chain set.. other misc crap i've mentioned 1000 times before.. and walla! an awesome running little ratsun.. it doesnt go through water at all... uses MAYBE half a quart of oil a month.. depending on how much i drive and how hot the weather is.. which reminds me i need to do an oil change :( thinkin of tryin some synthetic not sure tho.. may just stick to my 10w 40

• 1 month later...

Pulled the head off today (took the manifolds off last weekend, but it got dark and I couldn't find my 10mm allen socket). Looks OK, I can't SEE any cracks. None of the pistons or combustion chambers are clean, so it didn't steam clean the engine (too bad, it's really carboned up). Head gasket was blown out from a water passage to the outside, right up by the timing cover. So it may be saveable, but I'll take the head down to the museum and straightedge it to see how warped it is. Even if it isn't I may replace the head on principle, I have LOTS of W58 heads. This one was open, BTW, even though it's from a 200SX.

which reminds me i need to do an oil change :( thinkin of tryin some synthetic not sure tho.. may just stick to my 10w 40

Josh, if you can afford it, do it, but be warned that older engines that were built with lower tolerances than to-day's newer cars, or older motors that are just plain 'worn' may allow the much more slipperier synthetic oil to leak out. Most specially the seals on the timing cover and rear mains and the valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Synthetics are thinner and really slippery and will flow almost every where.

I put synthetic 90W in the tranny, transfer case and rear end. Within weeks the back of the tranny was wet. (seal $5) A few months later the front input to the transfer case was wet. (seal $25) Last spring the rear blew from lack of oil. It just suddenly leaked out before I noticed, probably the pinion seal just failed, anyway I put a brand new seal ($25) on the replacement (J/Y) one and it's dry as a bone.

I don't find the tranny any quieter, maybe it's quiet to begin with, but it sure shifts better. The gears make a satisfying CLICK when shifting.