Suspect

I was wondering if I was the only Datsun driver that had points issues. Every time I install a new set of points, they only last about 500 miles. Then the plastic bar that rubs on the distributer shaft wears down. There is no ruffness to my distributer shaft and I've even tried greesing but they just don't last. I been threw 4 sets of points in the last 3 weeks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something is most definately wrong. Are you using the same brand of points? Are you sure there isn't something abrasive on the shaft or in the grease? Are you using the kind of dielectric grease used for points? If the rub block is wearing away that fast, how is it you can stand the constant out of tune condition that engine must be struggling with? I've cleaned and regapped points that ran for 20,000 miles.

I was wondering if I was the only Datsun driver that had points issues.
nah, we've all had problems with points. That's why we have all switched to electronic ignition. Every manufacturer also switched way back in the 1970s.

The shaft cam may have abrasion on it, or maybe it needs different grease. Better just to replace the whole thing with an ultra-reliable EI.

It seems like I'm only having problems with this truck. Originally it had a dual points distributer and it wore the blocks down fast. When I did a motor swap, I decided to put a single points distributer in it. So 2 distributers and have the same problem. I've been buying cheap points originally from Autozone. After I changed jobs, we get a discount and parts delivery from Autovalue.

Yes, its very anoying to get it running good, like it should be and deteriorate as I drive it. I drive a minimum of 65 mile a day for work. An two times last week I drove 220 mile a day.

The last time this happened, the other day, I was on my way to work and it was running decent when I left. I got about 10 miles into a trip and my truck started to miss. It got worse and worse but it made it to work. I had to ajust the point again so I could go home. Then a day later I had to install a new point. I'm on the new point and I'm going to have to order some more soon before this one goes out too. When I install the point, it comes with a little pill like container with greese in it, I use that on the rubbing block. It doesn't seem to help.

Wow, I never thought about glueing brass to a point's rub block. Thats a good idea...

As for electronic ignition, its never happening for this truck.... its a heap.. I just made it go on a bet saying that I couldn't.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2469768/2

grease in the pink pill, do not ingest! :lol:

if they are the 'cheezewhiz' blocks, they same thing will continue...

you can get(find) an EI for under $50 and the hassle of points is gone forever!

i took awhile to come to this conclusion myself, wasnt worth the wait!

a folded matchbook cover is no longer in the ashtray!!! :lol:

2eDeYe;232229'']Sounds like your shaft is wobbly. :D

^ a man of experience

I've tired factory nissan points from the dealership one time with my dual points distributer. At the time I was having other issues and the truck still wouldn't run. The only problem I found is the amount of time they take to get them to me. Any suggestions on what brand points I should use?

go to Napa is one is near by and get as good set. hopefully it says made in Japan on there somewhere

If not made in Japan, try Bosch. I use Bosch Isuzu pickup points in my RL411, last set was installed so many years ago that I can't remember the year. In 41 years I have installed 3 sets of points, the capacitor usually goes, not the points setting, so try replacing the capacitor and filing and regapping the points. If the points are improperly set, the point voltage is too high and the capacitor will punch through and form a high resistance bypass to the points, then you will get insufficient plug voltage to properly ignite the gas/air mixture if you get any coil output at all.