It followed me home 1967 520 pickup!

1hr40minlate

I am the new owner of a 1967 520.

Painted Dragon green and in need of serious freshening up. Still has the j13. Seems to run okay. Needs the valves adjusted and a gasket between the manifold and exhaust pipe. The transmission got stuck in reverse when backing it out of the previous owners driveway. Lucky I had a 13mm wrench!

Here is what seems to be the normal list of questions:

A friend has a few spare L20s. One with round ports and a 5 speed. Anyone done the swap before?

Can I bolt in the front end from a 620 (disk brakes)?

Will the fuel filler line from another Datsun truck fit?

Are these trucks really that rare? Less than 5 threads here.

Why do you need 4 words in the forum search? What do the other two need to be?

My goals are to have the truck be a little lower and a lot faster by spring! Can you all help?

th_veh010.jpgth_veh009.jpgth_veh008.jpg

th_veh007.jpgth_veh006.jpgth_veh005.jpg

th_veh004.jpgth_veh003.jpgth_veh002.jpg

th_veh001.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun & congrats. I own a 65 L 320 so maybe i can help. In order asked....

Swapping in a L motor isnt a bolt in, different motor mounts but possible.

Disc brakes wont bolt in [tons of disc info here]

Run a new fuel line, did mine from the tank to carb using rubber fuel line.

Not really rare but dont see many on the road still, deffinately turns heads when i drive mine.

Easy to lower, ive seen dual carbs on the 1200 engines before.

uhoh... that makes 4 ratsuners in ga... almost enough for a lil meet, except none of us live near each other.. haha

i spoke too soon... once again i'm the farthest one out... you and airedout are near each other and charliebucket is on the west side of atl. altho airedout hasn't been real active on the site lately.

pics would be nice :D

Sweet man! Pics, pics, pics,pics,pics! I just got a 521 last month, and this place (ratsun) is freakin heaven! Everyone here has been so great with the knowlege... sniff... sniff, welcome home!

There's at least three other guys from GA. Tnip being one. Heck a few more and GA is almost ready for its own club!

Sweet man! Pics, pics, pics,pics,pics! I just got a 521 last month, and this place (ratsun) is freakin heaven! Everyone here has been so great with the knowlege... sniff... sniff, welcome home!

There's at least three other guys from GA. Tnip being one. Heck a few more and GA is almost ready for its own club!

we musta posted at the same time... haha

I added the photos to my first post.

Thanks for the tips Pac. Coast. I have seen somewhere that a J13 can be pushed up to 1800cc. If I could get to 100hp with the J series motor I would be happy. Did someone say that the J13's have torque? All I need to do then is spin it faster!

My first task though is getting the transmission unlocked. The shifter is real sloppy. My hope is that something easy came loose with the junction between shifter and transmission.

Seemed peppy in reverse! It spun the wheels all the way up the hill!

Tater - thank you for the search tip. 4 letters not words!

I saw a map feature in one forum. You could see all of the members as dots on a map and then hover over the dot to get their name. Any chance of getting that here?

As for a meet. The Roadster club usually has a good turnout at Road Atlanta when the Walter Mitty Challenge is held. A few years ago I was able to take a 66 Fairlady around the track. Supposed to be a parade lap only but I goosed the throttle before the apex and got squirrley on the wet pavement. It wasn't until I pulled off of the track that I realized there was several 100's of thousands of dollars in Ferrari's and Lambo's behind me! Could have been an interesting story at the insurance office.

If I can get the transmission fixed and the truck road worthy this weekend I want to take it to the True Grits Race. It's in Suches. 50cc displacement limit. Sounds like a bunch of pissed off hornets flying through the mountains. Let me know if anyone else is going to go.

... funny thing about living here for the year or so that i have.. i have yet to really pay attention to the local events that much... not having my own personal dd has affected this somewhat. i personally would love to see some 50's. my dad would probably be down for that too... i'll have to look into the info for the event.

edit: nice lookin 520 you got there. looks to be in pretty good orig. condition. you pick it up locally?

great to see another GA guy. he did pick it up near atlanta, because i made a few calls on it about a month ago. i talked to the owner the first day he posted but i didn't have the money then. i am very glad a ratsun member got it, so i can see it's progress. we need to all meet up after we get them all in good order.

1hrforty-you said you had a friend with extra motors? could you guys hook me up if i needed one or just parts?

Hello Charliebucket,

There are two trucks. A 78 620 King cab that has been folded in half and a 77 620 parts truck.

The 78 has 50K old front suspension and a good running motor - The carb was a bit worn though.

Both Trucks have 5 speeds.

I am calling dibs on the round port head, long block and a 5spd in case I can use them in my 520. The rest is offered up for sale. Prices and a full list will come later as well as pictures of the folded truck.

Charlie - are you glad you didn't get the truck now that you know about the transmission?

airedout posted? haha i just sent you a message on "tha myspace"...

1hr- i'm very interested in engine parts, if not a whole engine. not right this second, but soon. also, when is the true grit? i found a lil bit of info about it but never saw any dates. didn't you say it was this weekend? do you just park and watch them roll by or what?

Just got back from my first ride.

Man is this truck S L O W! It was still fun though. I think some more HP and a 5th gear and I will be in business.

Anyone done a transmission swap fitted up to a J13? Anyone?

I got the transmission unstuck by driving circles in reverse in my cul de sac. Finally popped out of gear. The gear oil looked new and very thick. I think they used too thick of a gear oil. Seems to shift fine now even if it is sloppy.

Went and got the engine oil changed. Seems that no one has a filter. Anyone have a part number for me? I had them put 30wt in the transmission.

Tnip - here is the link. The event is Saturday. I am not sure where you can watch from. There are some scenic viewpoints at the top of the mountain and then there is T.W.O. Maybe the site has a map.

http://www.champsclock.com/50cc.htm

I talked with my friend Ed. He has the two trucks. 1,000.00 gets the two trucks plus extra doors, fenders, headrests, grills, bumpers, alternators, glass, trim, etc. Basically everything but the one motor and transmission that I am reserving for my project. He is moving towards heavy pre war iron.

He would like to get the stuff to it's new owners ASAP. The trucks are in Flowery Branch. North of Atlanta approx 45 miles.

Off to adjust some valves.

Hey- if you only have 60 horsepower to begin with having valves out of whack makes a huge difference!

Tightened up the slack in the valve train and the truck goes much better. Still no top end but now I get to max speed much quicker. I might actually do a little better than 100 minutes late!

The truck sounds a whole lot better too. Now for that exhaust leak!

420+100=520

1hr4d

For the oil fliter NAPA part # 1300 is the cartridge type listed for the E-1 engines..i bought one but it's too short & wont work. For the J 13's i know Mklotz will have the part # & i believe they r easy to find. When you do buy a few of them, parts are getting sooo hard to find for these engines. Glad you got the trans. working better.