Ressurecting "The General"

RB_Shaggs

so to make a long story short the General has gone through a couple owners that have beat it up then it was left abandon still in my buddy's name.. So being the friend i am i scooped it up so he would not get tagged with a towing and impound fee.. in exchange he said i could keep it ut he needs the eskies off of it, which is all well and good but i have too many vehicles so i am going to fix it and give it to a fellow club member for a daily driver..

list of what i know is wrong with it.. no torsions hooks bars everything either missing or destroyed, cut lower radiator hose, leaky L18, probably out of time, inside headlights busted out, steering colum shot (made for an interesting situation being towed.. good thing i have a parts truck to strip..

already got started stripping the parts truck last night but no newer pic s here is what he used to loo like..

general5.jpg

general3.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the roof is crushed in pretty good on the passenger side so i am trying to convience him when the weather gets better to make it a convertable hard top or at least swap the roof with the one from my parts truck we will have to see..

yea the general needs a cage for sure. if it was me, i always liked the way the cages were done on manx dunebuggies... loop on the windshield and one in the rear to match, then two bars kinda in the center to connect them... it still gives plenty of protection, but it still looks like a topless vehicle, instead of just building a skeleton like where the top was.

yeah if i was keeping the truck (need to focus on one project at a time) i would have just swapped the roof just to make it cleaner.. i know for sure we are going to redo the paintsame dull burnt orange with the 01 after that i don't know we have a set of turbines to but they probably aren't going on till later..

• 9 months later...

well i saved another abandoned datsun. my buddy ended up never coming to work on the general, I was getting frustrated (it had been in my driveway forever) I seemed to be the only one turning wrenches on it.

Then he decided to by a toyota starlet for like $400 bucks from the junkyard he works at (cool car RWD tiny hatchback) so i confiscated the general from him.

So now to try and repair the completely fubar truck I put stock leaf packs on it got the motor running good now I just really need to find a 73 dash harness cause this one is wrecked. I will post picks later..