Moar powah

BlakeZula

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more so my exact question is: where should i start?

cold-ish air intake is a must, im currently redoing the exhaust. i just dont know where to start. i dont think i really wanna hassle with an engine swap but how hard would it be to swap in...say a SR20det? but nonetheless if it requires more knowledge than basic welding and wrenching im at a loss...but then again.. i have you guys

how much power do you want and how much do you want to spend.

speed cost money.

cold-ish air intake is a must,

no, not really, just in F&F. its helpful with other things on a modified motor but not a must.

im currently redoing the exhaust.

thats a good start, have you taken the size/bending/muffler/exhaust mani/ect. into account?

exhaust alone woulnt net you power youl really feel, itl sound better tho :D

i dont think i really wanna hassle with an engine swap but how hard would it be to swap in...say a SR20det?

search button.

an L4 is still going to be relatively gutless no matter what

but nonetheless if it requires more knowledge than basic welding and wrenching im at a loss...but then again.. i have you guys

gain the means to an end.

toil and learn or have deep pockets.

Edited by Skib

im looking at a goal of around 200HP... too much? are my expectations too high? i feel confident... ALSO... may sound noobish here. but my favorite sound in all the world. is huge cams. the rough idle sound... oh lawd.. give me a minute........ ok. what size cams should i get to get that awesome sound.. and i hear its great for top end power.

im looking at a goal of around 200HP... too much?

are my expectations too high?

You woulnt get that from your stock L4.

For the stock motor, yes. If you want real power do a swap.

but my favorite sound in all the world. is huge cams. the rough idle sound... oh lawd.. give me a minute........ ok. what size cams should i get to get that awesome sound..

The right cam choice has a lot of different deciding factors.

Guest DatsuNoob

First off it's a truck. A very stock, utilitarian, slow, tractor of a truck. I know, I have one too :D. If you wanna free up some top end, ditch the 4spd and swap in a late ZX 5 speed. Give it a cam, side drafts, etc, but I still seriously doubt you'll get 150hp. Dont mean to be a naysayer, but I think you'd do best to find a complete swap instead of nickel and diming an L4 to death only to get the same or less power than a single cam KA (which are dirt cheap too BTW). You would even end up spending more money. If you do go with a swap, look for a complete package deal with everything. You'll spend way less money than if you try and hunt down each piece individually. If you want, you could get the KA24e for dirt, and spend the bulk of your money on a turbo kit. I truly believe with a few necessary adjustments (injectors, computer, MAF, to list a few) you could boost almost any stock 4 cylinder, up to 5 psi safely.

i would say just deal with what ya got, save some cash on the great mpg these little 620s get and build yourself a bad ass ka24det or sr eather way, you could spend about a year just building the engine from the block up then drop it in and then pow super 620.atlest thats what my plans are. but make sure to beef up your stoping power and your handeling befor you go past 200hp.

But il issue a challenge. il bet. i can get this bad boy runnin 150HP on the stock motor.

150 wheel horsepower? haha! :lol:

People who learn these engines after years of building can usually get 120-130whp after its all been done.

High compression, big cams, dual carbs, headers, large exhaust, electronic ignition, ported head.

A single Weber carb, cold air intake, EI distributor, and a 2 inch exhaust will maybe bring you from 85whp up to 96whp.

You could do a good tune-up. Check your timing, advance it to 12-15 BTDC, new spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor. You might gain 5hp just from that!

Normal advance is 8-10 before, so running a bit more advance may have the engine pinging on occasion. Run mid octain fuel to fix this.

Dude your dreaming!!!!!!!!

You said you have no mechanical ability.

I say put a Weber 38DGES on there ans see how that does.

I thought my L16 with a cam and 38DGES went pretty good.

You have a L20. should be good with alt least a weber32/36 DGV on there or a 38/38(38DGES) on there.

But one thing. if its a later L20 some of them have the hard to get at lower intake bolts cause of the exhaust manifold. Then you being not mechanical this could leave another datsun in the bushes/side of the house to rot away. I even find it hard to get these bolts and th motor was out of the truck.

Im thinking EZest for you is put a Weber carb on there and call it good and be happey with a 2-4hp increase If that. and just drive the datsun around.

time it with a timming light.

If point distributor adust that also

ck the cam timming . Maybe the cam is off a tooth and that why it has no power. If this was rebuilt recently.

as for a exhaust a 2 inch is fine and a turbo muffler.

watch this

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=hainz&set=5&x=0&y=0

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Here's another concept: If you can't improve it mechanically, you can make it lighter.

I'm not entirely sure what's available, but fiberglass fenders and hood would decrease weight a little bit. An older California style step side conversion would give you a relatively light metal box bed with fiberglass rear fenders.

The weight of wheels is often neglected, but with a light wheel you also get a lot more suspension 'feel'.

This is not a power up solution, but a weight down approach. If you can drop a couple hundred pounds or more from the truck, the engine has less to push around, effectively making it feel more powerful.

Edited by nukeday

Imagine that! A Datsun truck that's not fast! :lol:

I watched your video,and I like the truck. It runs,which is more than mine does. :(

I'm trying to figure out why you bought it in the first place if you wanted a tire burner..

Like he said 'speed costs money'.

good luck!:D

i spent my $$$, time building/researching...IF i get 150RWHP from the LZ22 build, ill :poop:

shes slow as balls.

help me! please. i beg of you

Totally serious BTW

these are a good start...

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?zenid=1b2b29d618b75df76936e63e9693f65e&main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=brass+balls

cold-ish air intake is a must, im currently redoing the exhaust. i just dont know where to start.

D.E.I. should be good for 500WHP