L series valve adjustment

mklotz70

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so for a cam that is 280/480 the above is true ?

because ive set my valves twice hot at .010 /.012 

and with a make shift stethoscope all the valves seem to still be chattering  oil level is right 

but im starting to think  what sealik said is becoming true for my situation ? any ideas

Assuming you have the right lash pads???....Wipe pattern is centered?

Lash pad is sitting above retainer?

If not....that will create some noise

Also....confirm lash after engine is hot....maybe at 9 and 11 thousands

Remember....if setting at 9 or whatever...just make sure the next size up on the feeler gauge no fittie

Cam lobe straight up

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so did this last night the "Hot" way.

None of my feelers when in, I had to back off every valve. Is this normal? 

Because it was a first time, I think my engine cooled too much, because when I went to run it afterwards, #4 was very chattery (It was #3 before the adjustment)

Going to try this with the cold numbers and see how it runs. Ill check back in a few hours.

Ok whoo! Its a 4 cylinder again. Worked good, glad I doubled checked. I had two lobes at .012" or more, and some too tight. It does sound a little louder than before though. Is that normal? Only on idle though, not any noise at cruise. 

I think my timing and carb need to be re-tuned next as I was trying to adjust those with one cylinder not working right. :/

Defdes .lash pads are the same size stock from factory. after head /valves /seats are different this can vary in size if off to much to make it correct.

I believe they make the exhaust looser is for the heat of the exahust going out, the expansion rate.

I seen different cam specs on how much lash. My Schneider says .006/.008 and I pretty much stick with that. But .010/.012 is fine also  or .008/.010

I seen soem cam specs set them the same, say .008/.008. Just depends on if you like a noiser cam I guess, Never thought too much more than thet on it.

Most time when one runs out of valve lash its alwasy the exhaust side. trying to adjust and you got the threaded post all the way down and cant get the lash to loosen is 9 out of 10 is the exhaust seat sunk

Defdes .lash pads are the same size stock from factory. after head /valves /seats are different this can vary in size if off to much to make it correct.

I believe they make the exhaust looser is for the heat of the exahust going out, the expansion rate.

I seen different cam specs on how much lash. My Schneider says .006/.008 and I pretty much stick with that. But .010/.012 is fine also  or .008/.010

I seen soem cam specs set them the same, say .008/.008. Just depends on if you like a noiser cam I guess, Never thought too much more than thet on it.

Most time when one runs out of valve lash its alwasy the exhaust side. trying to adjust and you got the threaded post all the way down and cant get the lash to loosen is 9 out of 10 is the exhaust seat sunk

Thanks for the clarifier Hainz.