Moving down to Cali...

I've lived up in the Olympia area for most of my life, and I've decided that living near my wife's family (with the extended family -- great for my three young daughters) would be a good idea. I recently applied for a job with my current employer down in that area, and I found out today that I landed the job.

So... moving down to Fresno! Or at least near Fresno, anyway. Somewhere between Fresno and Visalia.

Anyhow, there's going to be another California 510 here in the next month or so. Figured I'd give fair warning!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent many a summer in Visalia with my grandparents. Not much there back then. Just a bunch of farmers. Both my grandparents are buried at the Visalia cemetery. Stop by and say hi for me when you get there.:D

Yes this Mexican Ville for sure.....if you dont speak Spanish you are not going to last long in Dinuba

if you are near visalia go see Vernon at Raver Motorsports. He knows a good deal about 510 stuff

Vern's been closed for like 2-3 years. Only helps out friends, shops still there, but not taken any new customers. Thats where I got my Z motor from (one of his salt flat car spares). He is a Nurse now. Only doing stuff part time.

Welcome to the area. Let us know when you get here we can get together.

Edited by 72 327

My in-laws (white folks) have been in Dinuba for years and have been doing pretty well. I'm half-korean, but I get mistaken for Mexican all the time, so I'm sure I'll blend in alright. ha.

Looks like my start-date for work is November 30th, so I'll be there in 5 weeks. We'll start out living with my in-laws until we secure a house or something, and we'll be within five minutes of the Dinuba WalMart, if that gives anybody an idea. Of course, Dinuba is pretty small... I guess everything there is within 5 minutes of that WalMart.

I used to go down to Visalia all the time in the early '70's.

Back then it was 3-5 miles from Hwy 99 to the edge of town,&

Bookout Datsun was one of the first businesses you saw.

I also have a Cousin who lives in Ivanhoe.It used to be

a nice little town.Went back a few years ago - bars on the windows

of most of the businesses.

- Doug

Man...your talkin about my old stompin grounds there! If you want some REALLY...REALLY...good mexican food (among the massive amount of Mexican restaurants there it takes more to be really good:) just let me know...I can recommend a couple...and if you ever want a 521 to fix up, there is a pretty clean looking one that has been sitting in the same field since I was in grade school...thats been a while!!!:lol:

Still...glad to hear that you are moving for good reasons, that usually means that something good is happening!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
fresno area is pretty nice.

Really? What're you smoking? Granted I haven't lived out there for about 2 years, but still.

I still have family out in Fresno so next time I'm out there I'm gonna have to meet some of you central valley guys.

The office is close to the Fresno Heart/Surgical Hospital, but my job will have me driving around most of the time, all over Fresno, likely. Although I might be driving as far south as Visalia with my job. Not entirely sure yet what my area of responsibility will be.

I believe I'll be living in Reedley, most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

24 hours until drive time. Driving a 26-foot uHaul, towing the 510, and following the Dodge minivan from Washington to California.

I'm not confident that the 510 is entirely weather proof; I plan to TAPE (with heavy duty packaging tape) areas of concern, and strip the tape off when I get down there. I'm going to paint the thing anyway, so I'm not worried about what the paint might do. Taping the trunk lid down (no weather seal, and the rain-tracks currently cause water to spill INSIDE the trunk; no good), and bungee-cording the rear pop-out windows shut (they don't currently have brackets to clamp onto), and maybe the front cowl... and that should do it, I believe.

:: crosses fingers ::

Hey I'll be passing through there for Turkey Day!

Feel free to call too. If I'm at work I can't answer the phone so just drive around the back of Walmart to the tire and lube shop. If I'm off me and my 3 little hellians will be happy to say hi.