My new winter driver.

Well, considering the weather we've had lately and the beast of a winter vehicle that I currently have I thought it was time to change up my snow driver. This is my first non Datsun purchase in 10 years... Nissan didn't have anything new or used that I was interested in so I had been shopping around and ended up buying a 1992 Suzuki Carry Kei Van with a Volkswagon Combi body kit. A big thanks to Cam and Andrew for helping me get it home from the dealer in Burnaby! It's a 4 seater micro van in RHD as it was imported from Japan by a local company that deals with these things. It's the 4 wheel drive version (my first 4WD) and has A/C too (the engine rpms really drop when you push the switch in to turn it on!)

It's powered by a 657cc N/A carburetted engine making a whopping 42 crank horsepower (take that Cam!) driving through a 5 speed transmission and rolls on 145/70/12 tires on 4" wide rims. It'll do 90km/hr on the highway and takes about 35L of fuel, it's a 10:1 compression ratio engine so I'm running premium gas.

The body work is marginal and the paint is pretty bad and it needs work on some things, but, the price was right and it's practical for work. It gets awesome milage, I filled it up on Friday night with 27 litres of premium and I've run off over 200 kilometers on less than half a tank so far. It does need bigger tires though, I've tried out stock 13" 510 steelies with 155/80/13 tires on and they fit with no interference. I'm going to use the 4.5" wide 510 steelies with 175/70/13 snow tires and see how it works through the fall/winter season and decide on new tires in the spring. Unfortunately I only have 3 of the 4.5" wide 510 steelies, anybody got a couple extras?

I know you guys like pictures so here we go.

Driver's side front quarter (it's RHD)

Carry_Driver_Front_Qtr.jpg

Driver's interior

Carry_Driver.jpg

Driver's side

Carry_Driver_Side.jpg

Driver's side passenger bench (it's got a sliding passenger door on each side)

Carry_Passenger_Driver_Side.jpg

Driver's rear quarter

Carry_Driver_Rear_Qtr.jpg

Rear cargo area (it's pretty big, with the seat up it's 48" wide, 44" tall and 73" deep with the rear bench folded down)

Carry_Cargo_Rear.jpg

Passenger side rear quarter

Carry_Passenger_Rear_Qtr.jpg

Passenger side (notice the sliding door)

Carry_Passenger_Side.jpg

Passenger's side bench ( notice the giant sissy bar going across the width of the van behind the front seats)

Carry_Passenger_Passenger_Side.jpg

Front passenger seat (funny thing with the seat is it's fixed in place!)

Carry_Passenger.jpg

Passenger side front quarter

Carry_Passenger_Front_Qtr.jpg

Massive 145/70/12 tires, less than 20" tall!

4x12x145-70.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would totally drive that around. That would so be better than what Im using now. No room for mini bikes, parts, engines, rear ends, in a 2001 Mercury Sable. lol

Oh and dare I stick anything in the back of my truck....

Thanks guys! I gotta get another 13x4.5" 510 rim though for the snow tires. I've found 3 in my parts stash, but, all of the rest seem to be the 13x4" ones. Funny how the bolt pattern is the same as a 510. The little 13x5.5" mags on this thing stick out an inch from the fender wells, pretty hilarious, I might see if I can get those on instead!

I dunno what kind of system it has. It has an "axel lock" button on the dash and a "4WD" button on the shifter. Any clues as to how to tell. This is my first 4WD/AWD vehicle, I've always driven RWD until this beast ....

Anyone know where I can score some inexpensive "moon eye" chromie style hub caps for a 13" rim? I think it'd look even more rediculous with those on!

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Have you looked to see if it has auto lock hubs?

Does it have high/low range on the buttons?

Where is the motor in it?Cant really tell from pics.

Edited by 510freak

Yup, it's in the back. The oil dipstick is in the right rear wheel well. The oil fill is in a hatch under the passenger bench, battery is under the passenger bench etc ... Lots of goofy stuff with this van, that's for sure.

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Yup, it's in the back. The oil dipstick is in the right rear wheel well. The oil fill is in a hatch under the passenger bench, battery is under the passenger bench etc ... Lots of goofy stuff with this van, that's for sure.

Pics Jason:D

So you go in the wheel well to check the oil :blink:

I'll take some more pics for you later Lou, I'm eating supper now and I'm not going back outside, it's bloody cold tonight!

Yup, took 2 mechanics and Cam and I 5 minutes to find the bloody thing too! I still haven't figured out how to flush the radiator yet, hell, I haven't found the rad yet! The brake master is in the dash behind the instrument cluster/steering wheel!

Guest 510kamikazifreak
I'll take some more pics for you later Lou, I'm eating supper now and I'm not going back outside, it's bloody cold tonight!

Yup, took 2 mechanics and Cam and I 5 minutes to find the bloody thing too! I still haven't figured out how to flush the radiator yet, hell, I haven't found the rad yet! The brake master is in the dash behind the instrument cluster/steering wheel!

No rush but I have to see this Jason!!

Wonders where rad is:lol:

Is there a remote filler for the master?

Nah, if you look at the picture of the drivers side the hatch is missing on the side of the dash and you can see the master cylinder right there! I can't find the clutch master though! I'm going to buy the english translation of the shop manual tomorrow and see what it says. It's $89.95!

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Nah, if you look at the picture of the drivers side the hatch is missing on the side of the dash and you can see the master cylinder right there! I can't find the clutch master though! I'm going to buy the english translation of the shop manual tomorrow and see what it says. It's $89.95!

Ah yes I see it now,

90 bucks for a manual !!

Better be a very well detailed one :blink:

Is it hydraulic clutch?Or cable?:mellow:

Well, it's a governor of sorts I think. I believe it's a throttle stop. Dang, I need to get a tach into this thing, I'm winding it up through the gears like a racing 510 L motor and traffic just pulls away from me until I get it into 4th! It's hilarious, isn't anyone wants to stay behind me, but, so far no one gets mad, they just stare or smile as they pass me!