we all know PH8A=FL1A=wix 51515=Napa1515

a.d._510_n_ok

so dig this!

31Jz%2BdYvfiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I also contacted Wix re the 51515 (FL-1A cross ref) and the bigger 51773. Their reply (with names removed):

Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 12:13 PM

Subject: Re: Contact From WIXFILTERS.com - Oil Filters

Both of these filters contain filter bypass valves set at 8-11 psid and have flow capabilities of 7-9 gpm. Thank you for your inquiry.

Technical Service Representative

The standard FL1A Motorcraft is about 4.75 inches long and the Wix 51773 is about 6.4 inches long.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/162471-2-qt-oil-filter-for-460-a.html

I will be trying this on my Dat or '64 Fairlane or daughter's '61 Plymouth Savoy - which ever comes up next for an oil change. All use the same PH8A or equivalent filters.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful.

I know on my 510 the longer PH8A sized filters will nearly touch the wheel well.

Also on the classic Z's the PH8A size is pretty good. A filter that is nearly 2.75 inches taller may touch something.

I am planing on getting a oil filer relocation kit that allows me to run two PH8A sized filters. If I can find space under the hood I may run two of these 51773's.

-Avery

• 3 years later...

I do not know how valid this theory is, but here goes.  If you take your new car to the dealer you bought it from, for a typical Lube-Oil-Filter service, and something goes wrong with the filter just barely meeting OEM specs, the company is out replacing the engine on warranty.  Their engine, their filters, their oil, their fault.  Considering the cost of replacing an engine, it is very poor economy to "cheap out" on the filter.  I suspect the OEM oil filters are actually better than just barely OEM specs.  Saving a few cents on manufacturing an oil filter, or giving the company that makes oil filters "barely adequate" specs is a poor way to make money.   You would need to save a few pennies on a lot of oil filters to pay for replacing one engine.

Now, lets consider an aftermarket oil filter.   Plenty of ways to pass the blame around.  Did you use the right oil?  Did you install the filter correctly?  Was the engine worn out to begin with?  Can you prove beyond doubt it was our filter that was the root cause of the engine failure?  There are a lot of ways of getting out of the engine failure being blamed solely on their oil filter. 

Because of that, it is to the advantage of the aftermarket company to produce filters as cheaply as possible.   Very few people pay attention to the quality of a oil filter.  They are more influenced by a full page ad in a car magazine.  They are more influenced by a favorable mention on a Saturday morning car show.  They are more influenced by some famous car guy saying this filter is great. 

People do not realize all that advertising is paid for out of some of the profit in selling the oil filter.  That takes money away from quality   materials used in the filter.  That cuts in to the R&D budget.

I know aftermarket filters are probably adequate.  There are some quality aftermarket oil filters also. 

I do try to change the oil and filter often enough.  But for me, I do believe OEM filters are better than many aftermarket ones  That is why I use a Nissan oil filter on my Datsun.  That is why I use Motorcraft oil filters on my Fords.

> I suspect the OEM oil filters are actually better than just barely OEM specs.

So you are saying the OEM doesn't actually use OEM specs?

Or maybe what you are getting at is that the OEM specs are actually higher than industry specs acceptable for aftermarket filters. OEM means the original equipment manufacturer -- and the specs they use are those supplied by Nissan.

Your theory seems to be that Nissan uses lesser spec filter for brand new cars than the specs used for Nissan service parts filter.

Aftermarket filters generally claim to "Meet or exceed OEM Specifications".  Of course so do OEM filters, since they're made by the same companies.  Major auto mfgs don't make their own filters, they're outsourced to a filter manufacturer.  Who generally pull something off the shelf that exceeds whatever internal specs but meets the external specs exactly, slaps a differerent label on it, and triples the price. 

Now, some companies use different sources for their factory-installed filters than their own dealer parts.  That's usually because they can find a supplier here in the US that costs less than shipping filters from Europe, not to mention taxes/tarrifs if they exist.  It is extremely hard to find a German-made filter for a VW, Audi, etc.  Of course most of those makes are not even made in Germany for the US market anyway, so you wouldn't be getting a German Made filter.  Japanese is a different story, you do see Japanese filters come to US dealers.  Not only are Japanesef filters fairly specific, but they are physically different.  But a lot of those Japanese-style filters are being made in Korea, Macau, and Indonesia now.  Look VERY closely at your packaging.  Hell, the photo above- says "Made In Thailand" right on it.  Made by a filter manufacturer that probably makes them for Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu, Subaru, etc etc.  And just like the aftermarket filters, they're using whatever off-the-shelf components that fit in the can and meet or exceed the OEM specs.  Since the filters have to meet a LOT of specs, they usually just meet the strictest mass-market spec.  Anything really overkill gets it's own, very expensive filter that barely exceeds that spec.  

I've worked in QC.  Specs are always matched with tolerances.  So manufacturers run as lean as possible to always meet the low-end of the tolerance scale while AVERAGING spec, but not going so low as to cause expensive rejection rates. 

So aftermarket filters will generally be higher than OEM specs, since they have to fit a variety of engines they must meet the highest spec of all the various engines. By contrast Nissan filters will only need to meet the spec for their own application.

The spec is not the issue with the FRAM question. It is the quality control ...

Here is my two cents. I use a Nissan OEM filter on the KA24DE.
You pick up the Nissan filter, which comes in a nice OE box, and is wrapped in shrink-wrap.
Then, you notice that it's 3x heavier than a FRAM or Hastings/Casite. Didn't get a Wix. It's like $6.40 or something like that.
Then you start looking at how everything is different. The rubber seal is a different profile. It's also stamped with the metal so it can't just come off. Don't see any glue.
You look inside and notice that it's all super heavy duty. No cardboard end caps. No rattles.

I will gladly pay a buck and a half more for an OEM part than any nasty aftermarket filter, but that's just preference. I don't notice any off the wall changes in 'performance' but I know there is no cardboard in there that'll disintegrate. No rattly parts. Metal everything, no plastic and bonded cardboard pieces. You can visually see a heavier duty pleat set with what looks to be denser material. Obviously it flows just fine so that's no worry to me.

Plus I can get a new copper gasket for the drain plug at the same time.

Now for Chevy's, well, I'll just buy a Delco filter for dirt ass cheap at WalMart before I pay 3x more at the dealer for the very same part number, brand, etc.

Haven't tried a FoMoCo filter yet but I probably will on the L20B when it's running again. If not, I'll just run an OEM filter on that baby, too.

Plus it looks cool and makes me happy so it's worth the additional cost to me. And I get to BS about datsuns when I go in to buy them.

No bullshit. After Ratsun and converting from Fram to Wix. We did a oil change on the Z24in a D21 at the time which was rocking a fram. When the new wix was on, a ticking noise from there on in went away!

Isn't motorcraft made by purolator? Nissan filter is made by a filter company. If you think Nissan, GM, Ford cars are all made up of their own made components then you're buying into just as much advertising from the dealer as you would be from Wix or Fram or Etc.

Radio

fram is ok for stock, wix is for race. ive seen a fram get sucked in on a sbc with a high volume pump. wix have never failed on the sprint cars. thats why the wix filter has been on my z24 since ive had it. as for oem, its an aftermarket filter that you pay extra for them to put an oem name on it. look at wix no money spent on looks all on materials.