Drum roll please...

pharouh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I got a few things done this weekend. I got the gas tank out. It really looks solid,too. A good cleaning and a repaint and it will be as good as new. Even the hoses were good. I had to cut a few of them to get it out,but no biggie.

tank.jpg

I started wire brushing the inside of the bed and the cab floors too.Cab floor has no rust through I'm glad to say. :D I cleaned it as good as I could and sprayed it with a rust treatment.I know it won't stop it.but it will slow it down. RUST NEVER SLEEPS...

floor1.jpg

I've been taking small parts to work and sandblasting them during lunch. Wish I had one at home.:(

more later.

check out my website http://www.fourthstreetdesign.com

today I did something i've read about here,but never tried. wet sanding wheels. I was amazed at the difference!

I used some 1800 grit I had just to see.

before

wheel1.jpg

After

wheel2.jpg

OMG! :eek:

Is there something I should put on them or will they stay like that for a while?

Now I need new caps and lugs...

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while. I struggled with the lower intake bolts for a few days. I got the floors wire brushed and a quick coat of primer. Same with the bed floor. got the cylinder head off today. OMG!:eek:

I know you guys are going to tell me to get an l20 or something bigger,but I want to keep this original. I'll find out when the machine shop sees this. It should clean up. The guy I bought it from said "it's an easy restoration" yeah right...

block.jpg

cyl_head.jpg

Lookig good Pharouh.

Did the PO say "it's an easy restoration" before he got your money?:lol:

Keep at it.

Check out the horse power raitings of that motor and an L20B.

I double my hp by using a L20B instead of the stock J13.

I will get the oil cap in the mail on Monday.

Thanks Charlie!

He was going to part it out if it didn't sell,and I thought it was too nice to scrap. I'm not sure what he was going to sell,because I've had to replace a lot of things. but it is fairly rust free,so that's good.And a factory tach.:D

I spent a half hour with a drill and wire brush on the engine. Doesn't look bad after all. Cylinder walls are good,too.

btw,does anyone know what color the engine blocks are painted? The brochure shows a cutaway engine and it's blue.

engine_after.jpg

Edited by pharouh

I did this before on amother 620 I had. I didn't touch the walls. I just got rid of the crud left from the gasket and age.I didn't even spend much time on it. I did the pistons when they were on top,then wiped out the other walls ,moved the crank then did the other two. Then cleaned them all again. Looks great here. :lol:

today I did something i've read about here,but never tried. wet sanding wheels. I was amazed at the difference!

I used some 1800 grit I had just to see.

The after pic of your rim looks good. I did a few sets of my rims before this way. Started off with 320 grit followed by 400, 600 then 1000 before polishing with Mother's. I bet you can get them to really shine up nice if you do a few more grits of sandpaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a big day today. I got three of my friends to come over today and take the cab and bed off my 620.

I've beed working on the floors of the cab ,turned out nice:D

floor1-1.jpg

anyway,I rolled it outside today,and in just a few minutes it was naked!:eek:

dat_before1.jpg

dat_before2.jpg

after_chassis.jpg

after_chassis2.jpg

We put the cab and bed in my garage,so I can start work on the bottom of them. I'm going to use POR15 on them.

There's even enough room in the garage to roll the chassis in there. Rust wise,everything looks pretty good. Just a few places here and there.Chassis is solid and covered in Mississippi mud :lol:

after_garage.jpg

after_garage2.jpg

garage3.jpg

i'm kind of overwhelmed right now,but I'm not on any time schedule or anything so there's no hurry-Just a lot to do.

more posts later!

Was the wet sanding done by hand or using some type of pneumatic or electric sander? Think I will give it a go too.

After I find my PL 410 under the broken glass...had a rear window sitting on cardboard on top of the car...think my cat got in there and had a little "oppsie"...I heard a strange noise from the canopy area one day...found it the next...glass is just everywhere...will have to get out the big wet vac. Fun....

Was the wet sanding done by hand or using some type of pneumatic or electric sander? Think I will give it a go too.

After I find my PL 410 under the broken glass...had a rear window sitting on cardboard on top of the car...think my cat got in there and had a little "oppsie"...I heard a strange noise from the canopy area one day...found it the next...glass is just everywhere...will have to get out the big wet vac. Fun....

I hope you can find a replacement.

The wet sanding was done by hand. It even works on grungy old whitewaalls. I use just a little Fantastic to help loosen the dirt.

Good luck!

Updates! I spent several hours (days?) cleaning up the cab and the bed floors. Pretty lucky there because most of it was just dirt and oil from the rear transmission seal. Something else to replace.. Found a couple more small mud dauber's nests. Wire brushed,sanded and wiped evrything with laquer thinner. today I brushed them with POR15 rust encapsulator. I ordered gray,but this looks really dark, Oh well. I didn't paint the wheel wells because they really didn't need it,so I'll spray them black.

Before

cab_no_por15.jpg

bed_no_por15.jpg

After

cab_with_por15.jpg

bed_with_por15.jpg

Now I can work on the frame and start cleaning it up. I'm doing it like Rubberman did his kc,a little at a time. hope mine turns out that good.

more later:D