Project "Against the grain" turbo720 build

nis720

I was fighting some heat issues with the intake temp climbing very quickly. Once I get the head done and install the turbo cam I have with solid lifters I should be able to get more rpm's out of it and more hp. So on a conservative tune this is where I'm at.

fb6060d8-4bcb-4586-a54e-1f3baf533830_zps

• Like 4
  • Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think it will make?

Buck and a half????

JK I'm guessing 260 at the wheels.

Looks like your closest on the Conservative tune...   :thumbup:

My guess at 15psi is 280ish...

And yes, Nice seas!

I bet it is more like this after the upgrades.    B)

• Like 1

I was fighting some heat issues with the intake temp climbing very quickly. Once I get the head done and install the turbo cam I have with solid lifters I should be able to get more rpm's out of it and more hp. So on a conservative tune this is where I'm at.

fb6060d8-4bcb-4586-a54e-1f3baf533830_zps

How much PSI?

• Like 1

VERY nice.!!!

I absolutely love this truck.

Thanks

Looks like your closest on the Conservative tune...   :thumbup:

I bet it is more like this after the upgrades.    B)

With the setup I have my tuner figuered I should be on the 300+ range. Motor is 4 years old and the whole time it ran untuned, so a lot of pinging when I would get on it. Tuner could not believe how mush timing it had in some areas.

new head, cam and solid lifter conversion should yeild more RPM range and better numbers.

How much PSI?

This was on 14psi.

Sadly with all the upgrades (tune, better flowing header, Z32 trans and 8.8 rear end) my weaklest link once again is the motor.

Took for a few spins today and blew the motor. Time for a rebuild. I think this would explain the numbers not being where we expected them.

• Like 1

Thanks

With the setup I have my tuner figuered I should be on the 300+ range. Motor is 4 years old and the whole time it ran untuned, so a lot of pinging when I would get on it. Tuner could not believe how mush timing it had in some areas.

new head, cam and solid lifter conversion should yeild more RPM range and better numbers.

This was on 14psi.

Sadly with all the upgrades (tune, better flowing header, Z32 trans and 8.8 rear end) my weaklest link once again is the motor.

Took for a few spins today and blew the motor. Time for a rebuild. I think this would explain the numbers not being where we expected them.

What??? Blew the motor. Dude that sucks. Well looks like Mr tanker is fucked for a while.

• Like 1

What??? Blew the motor. Dude that sucks. Well looks like Mr tanker is fucked for a while.

Yeah.... think I blew a ringland... gushing oil out of the lower crankcase vent. Fun while it lasted, 4 years of abuse untuned. Hopefully my truck will be out of there soon to make room for other projects.

I had just finished the trans cover too.

IMG_49181_zpsa63f8231.jpg

IMG_42521_zps5d7b66b4.jpg

• Like 2

:( bummer man sorry to hear about the motor. 

Are you planning to stay with the SOHC & upgrading the internals.?

...... my weakest link once again is the motor.

• Like 1

Yea I would say not as fucked as you,your batting what 2 out of 3 with your engine builder? Or is it 3 out of 4 I cant remember now.

Well the last one I bought from you ASSHAT!!! And I did spin a bearing one one. So you win. Everybody sucks but you...

• Like 1

:( bummer man sorry to hear about the motor. 

Are you planning to stay with the SOHC & upgrading the internals.?

I will stick with the SOHC but it will have a fully built head with the turbo cam I've had since forever. Most likely it will need pistons. :crying: It will have to sit for a bit now since I spent alot of $$$ on building the header. I also have to work on mrbigtankers truck.

Yea I would say not as fucked as you,your batting what 2 out of 3 with your engine builder? Or is it 3 out of 4 I cant remember now.

Ouch..... Where's the love???

Well the last one I bought from you ASSHAT!!! And I did spin a bearing one one. So you win. Everybody sucks but you...

Both of you have had your runs..... mrbig has had more shit go wrong than both of us combined.

• Like 1

I will stick with the SOHC but it will have a fully built head with the turbo cam I've had since forever. Most likely it will need pistons. :crying:

I have some JE Forged pistons. BIG one's,  Let me know.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

I was under the impression that all truck blocks were made in Mexico. But this particular one is Japan built (truck block). I was told this was out of a 96 hardbody and it's OBDII. Main difference between the OBDI and OBDII seems to be the timing cover (so I've been told). Anyone have any input on this?

IMG_17251_zps0c94ce23.jpg

I test fitted some parts off my truck and the oil pump and distributer seem to line up fine.

IMG_62291_zps0a46587e.jpg

• Like 2

Digging up all the parts I have laying around to finally get it all installed.

Spare polished intake... converting to AN line all around.

IMG_63341_zps77ac36b9.jpg

Skullworks Oil block for filter relocation. This is the original prototype piece.

IMG_11611_zpsa331b4db.jpg

Test fitting for clearance.

IMG_20141_zps9da63cf3.jpg

• Like 4