Ryans 521 Build

the front looks like its set up for a rear sump pan and if i remember correctly 90% of fords used front sump i forsee an issue here :rolleyes:

I got my motor out of an 89 foxbody. it has a rear sump pan but i may still have to modify the oil-pan a little to make it fit. already thought of that one... thanks for looking out though!!

heres the proofs....

CIMG2964.jpg

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my motor out of an 89 foxbody. it has a rear sump pan but i may still have to modify the oil-pan a little to make it fit. already thought of that one... thanks for looking out though!!

heres the proofs....

CIMG2964.jpg

bitchin that makes life easier how much do you think you will need to modify it shouldnt be to bad by the looks of it

bitchin that makes life easier how much do you think you will need to modify it shouldnt be to bad by the looks of it

no it shouldnt be too bad. i am just worried about closing the hood and clearing the rack and pinion. i may have to shave the oil pan a little bit in the mid section to clear, but we will see when i get there...

just out of curiosity, why didn't you go under the bed mount with your subframe brackets?

CIMG3181.jpg

just curious

Because it would of been almost impossible to get the weld on the underside in the corner, this way i can have welds on both sides of the mount. also this way there was alot less grinding to make a perfect mate up to the underside of that mount. This way i just cut off the excess and weld away.

just out of curiosity, why didn't you go under the bed mount with your subframe brackets?

CIMG3181.jpg

just curious

Bart, He did it a lot like mine.

mx52012-3-08001.jpg

I didn't want to leave the bed mount only supported on one side. You won't see it and it will be strong!:thumbup:

Nice welds. How much wider is your rear track width going to be over stock? Maybe I missed it somewhere. Just curious.

My s13 rear sub wont be as easy. The mount points and suspension travel may require me to re-work the frame rails a little. We shall see.

Nice welds. How much wider is your rear track width going to be over stock? Maybe I missed it somewhere. Just curious.

My s13 rear sub wont be as easy. The mount points and suspension travel may require me to re-work the frame rails a little. We shall see.

I just measured it and its 7 inches wider hub to hub, but it should only stick out about 1/2 inch each side with the rims that are on there now. I plan on using a +45 offset rims to see if it will fit or not. If it still sticks out to much i will throw some flares on there and go with some wide meats.

Ok here is my issue: I have installed a power steering rack capable K member, but my power steering rack looks like this:

CIMG3183.jpg

I also have a non power steering rack and was wondering if it was possible to use the non power steering rack to fix the power steering rack or will I have to purchase a whole power steering rack in order to make this work.

Here are some pics of the power steering rack:

CIMG3184.jpg

This side is not broke: just sitting weird:

CIMG3185.jpg

And here is the non power steering rack still on the miata in perfect condition

CIMG3186.jpg

CIMG3187.jpg

spiderwebs....

CIMG3188.jpg

Thanks guys for your help. I am pretty sure i can take apart the two and make one good power steering unit, but i just wanted to make sure. And yes i know i don't need power steering, but if i am going this far on a build I am going to have power steering and A/c if its possible.

I don't know if the tie rods are interchangeable between power and non, but you can just buy new tie rods for either. The inner tie rod "end" is the inner joint (inside the boot) and the entire rod.

edit: According to rockauto there are different parts for power and non power, so I'd assume they're different.

I don't know if the tie rods are interchangeable between power and non, but you can just buy new tie rods for either. The inner tie rod "end" is the inner joint (inside the boot) and the entire rod.

edit: According to rockauto there are different parts for power and non power, so I'd assume they're different.

I looked it up and i see what you are talking about. I am going to do some surgery and see if the parts are the same first. If they are not i will order it up from rockauto. I hope messing with the rack is not to difficult.

I didn't get to work long today on the truck but i feel i made pretty good progress, i only found one missed weld that i will have to tackle next time i have the welder out. I also have to finish the drilling and find some good grade 8 bolts to connect the rear subframe. oh yeah, i have found out when i am grinding, the wind doesn't want to blow. But when I pull out the welder, it doesn't want to stop....grrrr

Heres the pics

CIMG3189.jpg

CIMG3190.jpg

CIMG3191.jpg

CIMG3192.jpg

CIMG3193.jpg

CIMG3194.jpg

CIMG3195.jpg

CIMG3196.jpg

CIMG3197.jpg

CIMG3198.jpg

Here is today's work. I would of got the drivers side arms done but it was WAY to hot outside to continue. I have to take the arms back apart and replace some pieces that are broke, worn and torn but i want to at least get it assembled for mock-up.

CIMG3199.jpg

CIMG3200.jpg

CIMG3201.jpg

CIMG3202.jpg

CIMG3203.jpg

Guess I am going to need a new one of these, and I know the castle nut is upside down. that lets me know that its not torqued and needs attention.

CIMG3204.jpg

CIMG3205.jpg

Edited by BACARDI_DWB

Well I went back to work since it cooled down. Man was it hot out today:

This picture is for anyone's reference, On the left is the power steering rack and pinion tie rod and on the right is the Manual steering rack tie rod end. Note they are different.

CIMG3206.jpg

CIMG3207.jpg

CIMG3208.jpg

CIMG3209.jpg

Oil pan fit, time to modify!!

CIMG3210.jpg

CIMG3211.jpg

CIMG3212.jpg

CIMG3213.jpg

CIMG3214.jpg

CIMG3215.jpg

CIMG3216.jpg

CIMG3217.jpg

CIMG3218.jpg

CIMG3219.jpg

Now the question is, should i send out the oil pan to Monster Miata in order to have them modify it how they modify most of their pans to fit? or do i do it myself.

Here is what they make it look like:

IMG_3278.JPG?action=resize

IMG_3279.JPG?action=resize

So should i have them do it? they charge $150, all i have to do is send it to them mine, This is a hard choice, I am getting pretty good at welding, but i don't know if my welds are oil tight. $150 seems a little pricey for an oilpan.

How cheap/easy is it to get another pan? If it is cheap/easy, then take a crack at it yourself. But...I will say that it is pretty challenging to get mig welds water tight on thin metal.....at least it was for me!!!! I modded another with the tig...much easier! If you have .023 wire....try it.....or go buy a small roll. I think you said you're running a bottle on your welder. You'll like being able to run a bead on sheet metal with that small wire :)