Ryans 521 Build

That looks great in there! It looks so small compared to your old choice!

I took a measurement from the inside rear cab wall to the shifter in the MX520, it is 23", just so you have a reference.

Let me know if you need anything.

Bob

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Project Updates:

I got alot of fabrication done this week. I am really getting good at welding, Some of my best welds are in my brand new tranny mount.

things done:

Mount my fuel tank

Built a removable Tranny mount

Built my battery Box (Kinda like Bob3's)

Supports made for the rear suspension

Extracted the Miata's rear coilover buckets

Things to do this weekend (if time permits):

Mount my rear suspension (Lots of work)

Fabricate 8.8 Differential Removable Mount

Box the Front Coilovers in

Pictures will come soon, I am shooting to get the Chassis done by the end of march so I can start focusing on other stuff.

Well i finally have time to post pictures, a few notes, i did take to much metal out of the frame to mount the buckets for the rear coilovers. The two cross tubes that are in a "v" shape are to help ensure the frame stays ridged. I am going to beef up the area around the coilover buckets. I didn't just weld a top hat like Bob did because the coilovers I want already come with a nice top hat already. I think i still need to beef up the battery mount, I am able to stand on it and bounce with no issues (I weigh 215lbs) but i want to ensure that I wont have a problem.

oh yeah, not all the welds are complete, I will do the bottom welds when i pull everything off and flip the frame

Enough talk, here are the pictures:

CIMG4404.jpg

CIMG4405.jpg

CIMG4406.jpg

CIMG4407.jpg

CIMG4408.jpg

CIMG4413.jpg

CIMG4414.jpg

CIMG4415.jpg

CIMG4416.jpg

CIMG4417.jpg

CIMG4418.jpg

CIMG4419.jpg

CIMG4420.jpg

CIMG4421.jpg

CIMG4422.jpg

CIMG4423.jpg

CIMG4424.jpg

one more note, CA18's sit cockeyed in the engine bay and when I built the mounts I didn't like how I would not have much room on the exhaust side because of the angle of the motor. Instead I built the motor mounts so the engine sits straight up and down, and I modified the tranmission crossmemeber to account for the angle

I am stopping for lunch, thought I would post some more pictures of my progress

now all the welds are not complete, I still have to do the underside when i flip the frame over. Also the picture where you see my feet on the frame is showing the tire clearance.

CIMG4426.jpg

CIMG4427.jpg

CIMG4428.jpg

CIMG4429.jpg

Now to start the other side after lunch

Purchased some parts:

CA18DET Stock Intake Manifold (Mine went missing)

CA18DET Stock Exhaust Manifold (I never got one)

CA18DET Stock Head (Mine had a fairly large crack)

CA18DET Oil Pump

All of these parts are used with the exception of the oil pump. I talked to my machinist and he said he will take meticulous care of my motor and get everything done that I need to get done.

I will feel better after I get my motor done...

pulled everything off the frame yesterday so i can finish the welding, prep and paint the frame. I am kinda stuck on what color to paint the frame.

Black

Gunmetal Grey

Or something else completely, Black will hide any grease marks made, but it will also look like I am trying to hide my work. Grey will show marks, but it will show the entire frame better.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...