Ryans 521 Build

i think the entire floorpan needs to move forward somehow otherwise the seats are not going to fit very comfortable in there. Bob, what is your opinion

Well, what I did is mount the engine and trans the best I could to get it to fit. Then I knew where the shifter was going to live. I wanted to use the miata floor and tunnel. The tunnel was way too tall, so I decided to cut the firewall off and deal with the floor first. I shortened the tunnel and welded the "lowered" tunnel back to the floor.

MX5201-3-09011.jpg

Then I started fitting the firewall so that it cleared the engine. I did this in halves.

MX5202-8-09005.jpg

Then I installed the other half.

MX5207-27-09011.jpg

Will it be a pain in the ass? YES

You're doing great! Rock on!:thumbup:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to make more room in the firewall, if i do that then i can move the entire pan up almost 2 inches. I will not beable to change spark plugs very easily but it will give me room in the cab. here is my thoughts. the humps in the cab can be recessed out in the engine bay and then cut out what i don't need. i measured and i will be very close to the gas pedal but i can hammer out what i need to fit. this will also give me room for the exhaust to run under the truck

black sharpie line is where the cut will go down

CIMG3552.jpg

cut and plate the passenger side

CIMG3553.jpg

driver side

CIMG3554.jpg

outside lines are as close as i can be without disturbing the gas pedal and maximizing exhaust

CIMG3555.jpg

I decided to build an entire tunnel piece, this is going to be a pretty trick piece. I am going to have access panels in each side to help me remove the exhaust and the spark plugs. (thinking like a mechanic)

CIMG3556.jpg

since i removed the structure of the firewall i can now "lift" the firewall while pushing the floorpan forward. this gives me room to move my seat around where i want while also maximizing space in the engine bay.

CIMG3557.jpg

This is roughly where the seats will be sitting at against the window. I have a few options, I can cut off the head of the seats and make low back seats out of the miata seats, this will give me alot more room inside the cab. or i can get ponitac fiero seats which are thinner and wider in the upper body area and would fit nice in there too. or i can leave the miata seats as they are and deal with the fact that its a 1970's datsun truck and it was made for smaller people. not someone that is 6'2", who decided to shoehorn a v8 in there.

CIMG3558.jpg

a lil tip/trick:

Ive seen either trailer fenders and/or wheel barrow sections use to fill sections like that. Tho typically its for wheel clearance against the firewall on minitrucks, but the concept still applies. Wheel barrow upper corners, depending on size and shape, can work really well.

• 1 month later...

Sorry no updates.... I have been traveling like crazy. Starting December I am not traveling any more besides the standard family christmas travel, so I should be back on the project.

I have traveled more than 30,000 miles in the past 2 months. (food for thought: its only about 2500 miles from san diego to Norfolk, Virginia....)

• 1 month later...

Updates:

Bought a built roller motor, has forged pistons, rods, and lots of spare parts for $400.

I am finally off travel duty and can re-start work on the truck, I also got a new oil pan to try to see if it will fit so I can get rid of my fudged up one. Also my pals convinced me to get the truck on the road and to skip the idea of twin turbo's and fuel injection, just going to throw a carb on it and run it and see how it feels before I start going further. Hopefully I will have some updates after christmas with some progress.

Updates:

Bought a built roller motor, has forged pistons, rods, and lots of spare parts for $400.

I am finally off travel duty and can re-start work on the truck, I also got a new oil pan to try to see if it will fit so I can get rid of my fudged up one. Also my pals convinced me to get the truck on the road and to skip the idea of twin turbo's and fuel injection, just going to throw a carb on it and run it and see how it feels before I start going further. Hopefully I will have some updates after christmas with some progress.

Get on it! Glad to see you're back around... By the way My house is in escrow and we are looking back in SD

• 1 month later...

Well I have been working every day this week and i thought I would post some update pictures. I finally was able to move my truck into the garage so I can get some work done in the light. The motor is not the motor that is going in there, its just a empty motor. I still have lots of cutting to do before I start adding more metal. I decided to use the bench seat after talking to Bob3 and his concerns with his cabin space, I am 6'2" and all legs, I need every inch I can get. I decided to build my own firewall and modify it to accept the miata gas pedal, brake, steering, and clutch. I am going to have to cut into my cowl, I like working on cars/trucks that were built with the mechanic in mind, and I am willing to hack into the cowl to ensure I can pull the motor without any issues. If anyone is wondering about the rear spark plugs, I am going to be installing an access panel in the firewall to make sure I can do maintenance on the truck.

So far I am impressed at how everything is coming together and that motor is starting to look like it belongs. I have PLENTY of hood clearance!!

Now for the Pics ( I also threw one in of my bro's mustang)

CIMG4065.jpg

CIMG4066.jpg

CIMG4067.jpg

CIMG4068.jpg

CIMG4069.jpg

CIMG4070.jpg

CIMG4072.jpg

CIMG4073.jpg

and my Bro's Mustang

CIMG4060.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Direction Change!!

Yes I am changing the direction of this build. after about a month of thinking about this project and finalizing what I really want to do with this truck i finally came up with a proper direction. to me it would make no sense to put a huge heavy V8 in the truck that has awesome cornering ability.

For those who don't know, I have had a CA18DET sitting in my shed in pieces, I have some $$$ dumped in this motor and its been killing me that I have not put it in a vehicle. So I have decided to put the CA18DET into the 521 with all the miata suspension. The CA18 I am building will support close to 600hp if not more and I don't think I will come close to needing that. Here are some pictures of how it will sit in there:

CIMG4075.jpg

CIMG4076.jpg

CIMG4077.jpg

CIMG4078.jpg

CIMG4079.jpg

Going to have to do a custom shifter that moves it forward:

CIMG4080.jpg

CIMG4081.jpg

There are some things about putting this motor in here, I will need to do a custom oil pan since the CA is a front sump design.

Here are some of the details about the CA18DET build:

Pauter Rods

JE Pistons

ARP Mains

Stock oil squirters

Double O Ringing the block

Compound Turbo System (GT2860RS to HX40)

Synchronic WGA's and BOV

The Turbo system that I have been researching is very unique and not quite standard for most builds. here is an example:

2164202935.gif

This setup with the way I am planning the turbo's will run up to around 40psi and about 600hp with an insane powerband. the small turbo will give the low end boost almost instantly and then the larger turbo will carry the top end.

Switching to the CA instead of the 302 means the build time will be a little bit longer but I really believe I am going to be happier this way. I will have the power that I want without taking a weight penalty.

time for mockup of the engine mounts! Sorry for those that were hoping to see the 302 in there. it just makes sense having a corner carving truck with the proper weight up front.

Here are some of the go fast goodies that I have:

CIMG4084.jpg

CIMG4085.jpg

CIMG4086.jpg

CIMG4087.jpg

Not pictured is a lightweight flywheel and many other goodies

______

For an idea of what my turbo setup will be like check out this DSM'er that put a 16g and a 60-1 with hopes of being close to 600hp and is making boost at insane levels:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/336541-my-compound-turbo-set-up.html

here are his spool times:

10 psi @ 3264 RPM

20 psi @ 3720 RPM

30 psi @ 4058 RPM

40 psi @ 4518 RPM

when you rev out to 8k, that is amazing amount of powerband

Edit: these are notes to myself, ignore unless your bored:

tap and thread crankshaft instead of having a welsh fitting

(known to come out and loose oil pressure in crank)

oil restrictor to head

(known "flooding of head" under high rpm runs with oil leaving the bottom end without oil)

expanding oil return to sump galleys

(aiding in returning the oil to the sump)

Placing an external fitting on the back of the head that will help drain oil back to the oil pan

(also aiding in returning the oil in the head to the sump)

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5655&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=oil+starvation

CIMG0154.jpg

I forgot to show off these bad babies!! the rods are forged pauter x beam and they are also cryotreated. the crank is knife edged and balanced. these blocks have seen over 1000hp in japan and there are 700hp examples on youtube. I won't need that much power, or even close to it. I will prob end up around 450 hp at around 30psig but with both turbo's i will have an awesome powerband still. i should have over 300hp from 4000-8000rpm's (hopefully sooner depending on the tuning) hard to say since there are not too many people that have traveled down this path but at least it will be fun and unique