Ryans 521 Build

Hello everyone,

I finally found a direction I am pointing my truck to. I know before I had lots of ideas and you guys really helped me decide where I want to go with this truck.

I am going to post a few pictures of the progress I am making, Bob3 has made a huge impact on the direction of my build. Mine will be similar to his but a little more radical. He is putting the Miata guts and bolts into his 520. Well I am doing the same thing but I am doing the Monster Miata Swap into my 521.

All the unneeded metal is taken off the frame, the K member is mostly modified for what i need, and I should be welding it up today

CIMG2527.jpg

CIMG2533.jpg

CIMG2534.jpg

CIMG2537.jpg

CIMG2539.jpg

More to come as soon as the photo's upload

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

motor is already in the machine shop, and i have a spare so i can do a mockup.

i am putting a 302 roller ford from a a 1989 efi mustang with a 5 speed. the motor is going to have forged pistons and rods running low compression with a pair of t3 turbos which should run 350hp easily with room to grow.

rear end is going to be a lsd 7.5 ford diff with the mounting hardware from martin @ monster miata. i am also getting his axles and hubs

i am going to cage the truck and prepare it for running low 11s at the track and since i am modifying the floorpan/firewall, i am forced to run a cage and not just a rollbar.

just so u guys know this is not only going to be a straight runner. i love canyon carving and it will be pulling double duty.

i cant wait to start making some real progress here soon

ryan

Man...I'm dyin to find a nice 521! Keep the pics comin. As for the welding...the cleaner the area the better, and the more area around the weld you clean off the better - if the paint/grease is smoking/burning around your welds it can cause problems even if you're not welding directly on/over it.

Man...I'm dyin to find a nice 521! Keep the pics comin. As for the welding...the cleaner the area the better, and the more area around the weld you clean off the better - if the paint/grease is smoking/burning around your welds it can cause problems even if you're not welding directly on/over it.

very good point. i had grease 3 inches away and it was sizzling... the problem i was facing the most was the wind. it kept on contaminating my welds....

I had the same question, but the v8 miata guys swear by them. they have said they have never seen one break at all. and that is 450hp+. if it ends up breaking then at least i have my weak point in the system and those are cheap in the junkyard....
450hp and how much torque?

Here are some photos from todays work:

CIMG3126.jpg

CIMG3127.jpg

CIMG3128.jpg

CIMG3129.jpg

CIMG3130.jpg

Just realized i should connect those welds:

CIMG3131.jpg

CIMG3132.jpg

CIMG3133.jpg

CIMG3134.jpg

CIMG3135.jpg

CIMG3136.jpg

CIMG3137.jpg

CIMG3138.jpg

CIMG3139.jpg

CIMG3140.jpg

CIMG3141.jpg

Those plates are to hold the rear in place while i fabricate the final holders in place:

CIMG3142.jpg

CIMG3143.jpg

CIMG3144.jpg

CIMG3145.jpg

CIMG3146.jpg

CIMG3147.jpg

CIMG3148.jpg

CIMG3149.jpg

CIMG3150.jpg

CIMG3151.jpg

CIMG3152.jpg

Thats it for today....

Edited by BACARDI_DWB

Don't measure from the tire to see if your centered. The camber / alignment could be WAY off from side to side. Be sure you measure to the frame to the subframe.

Looking good!

Don't measure from the tire to see if your centered. The camber / alignment could be WAY off from side to side. Be sure you measure to the frame to the subframe.

Looking good!

yeah i measured from the subframe to the frame. i was just showing how much tire i am going to beable to fit in there.... Thanks for the heads up thou!!...

I am going to do my rear coilover setup a little bit different than yours. I am going to put a QA1 coilover in the rear mounted on the arm and then bolted to the underside of the frame, that way i have more room for different tire combo's

cleaned and painted for right now to ensure it doesn't rust any further. I have alot of traveling to do within the next 3 months so i wanted to make sure everything stayed rust free. I may sandblast it and repaint it after all the frame modifications are done, I still have alot of work to do to make that 5.0 ford fit that front K member.