Will this carb work on a L16?

fisch

Hey guys the owner doesn't know much about this carb and kit, and the 521 I bought is my first classic vehicle, so I don't know much.

Can you tell me if this is the right carb for my L16 and is this everything I would need to hook it up in place of the stock unit?

Thanks, Scott

2551_1.jpg

5d83_1.jpg

2b7b_1.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the 4 cylinder L series should bolt on, not too sure about the jetting, and the 'newer' ones (L20B) may have extra vacuum ports for emissions. I have bolted an L20B carb onto a Z22 intake, so it might be safe to say the Z20 and Z22 carbs will bolt to the L 16 BUT the linkage faces the wrong way on them and they are covered with emission hoses. The Z24 has a larger bolt pattern and more hoses..

With keeping your stock manifold, the only carbs that is a direct swap without adaper plates, are stock carbs. I assume any carb from an L 4 engine would fit.

That carb you pictured looks to be a Webber carb, and it wont fit without adapter plates, and I see they're not pictured.

That carb looks to be a holley 5200 or a weber dfav.Both great carbs but would need an adapter plate and the linkage is backwards.Which is ok but will eventually wear out the cable housing due to binding.

Any Datsun hitachi carb will work.You can plug off the vacuum lines and be ok.Just so much more to go wrong.Springs,bb's diaphragms..yuck.Whatever you do get a weber or a holley.I wouldnt worry too much about jetting either.I run a holley jetted for a ford 2.3 on my L18 and it runs great.

You won't wear out the cable if you put the linkage on upside-down, BUT you need a tall adaptor.

There IS a weber that fits the stock L-series intake with no adapter- but it's been out of production for 10-15 years. Weber 32/34 DFT. I stuck one on my '74, runs pretty good, but you have to install it backwards. It was Weber's smog-legal carb.

I see the dft on ebay alot.I got that wierd 32/34 dgev and put it on my l16 and it is awesome.There is a lot less vacuum on a L16 so the smaller secondary is nice for a tad more torque.

If you are a cheap ass,such as myself,you can find a ton of the holley 5200 and 5220 carbs on ebay.Search around for ford pinto,mustang2 chevy vega for the 5200 and dodge for the 5220.Often a pro reman goes for around $60.They are a hassle for the aircleaner though and you would need to modify the linkage to the ball type.I just weld on a stock cable style.

There IS a weber that fits the stock L-series intake with no adapter- but it's been out of production for 10-15 years. Weber 32/34 DFT. I stuck one on my '74, runs pretty good, but you have to install it backwards. It was Weber's smog-legal carb.

I have a new one if anybody wants it. I put it on my 510, but I'm switching to SUs very soon.

I have a new one if anybody wants it. I put it on my 510, but I'm switching to SUs very soon.

Rock on guys, great advise. This 521 hasn't run in ten years. I haven't really dug into it yet, but the last owner mentioned the carb was having problems before parking it, so I am trying to think ahead.

How much were you wanting for your 32/34 Datsunfreak? I am hoping to get into the engine next weekend an will know more about the condition of what I have. PM me if you like!

Scott

AVOID that carb!!!!!!!!!

main barrel is on the wrong side. It will work but get the 32/36 DGV type model with the main barrel on the other side. The manifold is set up for the main barrel near the valve cover side. This carb you show is not set up for the L series setup. But it will work But Datsun NOOb bought the same one and the plate got stuck and blow the choke out!!!!!!!!!!

webercarbsdirect has some photos of the correct carb 32/36 DGV 5a.

DGEV 32/36DGV-IC(idle cutoff best with the L20 open heads)

maybe try these guys

http://www.allcarbs.com/shop.html

also if you buy the correct DGV weber the stock datsun cable pull assemble fits on the weber!!!!!!!Remember this!!!!!!!!!!