Severance Day: NOT what You think!

Steroid

Yesterday Mark welded the spring perches on the 1969 Spotty trailer. After that it was time for lunch and a cruise ! ! Where else would We go but to Lazy Harry's ! ! ! !

P1012355_zps2933a8de.jpg

P1012364_zps039c8fb0.jpg

The L-20 seems to have good enough power to pull the trailer. Now to get everything painted and hit the open road ! ! !

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the projects that needs to be completed prior to painting is to fabricate a full length removable roof. Rich Boyett started on the rear of it before moving so Mark has taken over on the welding. We went to look at the condition of a 521 wagon that has been out in the desert for many, many years abondoned. After totally looking the car over to see if it was restorable We determined that it would take way too much for it to be drivable again. We also looked over what few remaining parts could be usable to others. Next, We set out to remove the roof to see if it can hopefully be grafted between 620 pieces to form the dually's roof:

Success ! ! !

P1010213_zpsc1cd675e.jpg

The final removal:

P1010214_zps959f8f94.jpg

Poor goon ! ! !

P1010215_zpsc0f51a66.jpg

Mark throwing what is left of the liftgate into the goon:

P1010216_zps148483b0.jpg

The idea is to build something that looks much like this:

P1013027_zps7ae7c1e4.jpg

But not with canvas or bows, hopefully with full metal. We can now proceed with mockup and fabrication thanks to "the desert goon" ! !  

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok update time. Tomorrow ill be doing some fab work on the roof of the dually & a  few tricks will be incorperated that i used on my 620 roof. The 510 wagon roof actually looks good & has the right contours except on the very edges but theres where ill make it look like it was built that way. Ill be taking pics btw :thumbup:

• Like 2

Isn't Mike's middle name "Lagging on Pictures". LOL

Indeed but in his defense hes not been able to log in lately.

Ok i spent most of the day on the roof & got 1 side roughed in.

The "skin" of the roof is off a 510 wagon & the edges were hammered flat to get that extra inch or so in width & it's welded to the round upper bar then I added this 1/4 inch solid stock then bent it to match the roof contour. The rain gutters have been shaved too...

35cel8k.jpg

25qdke1.jpg

then added some sections on the sides...

2zzjbz7.jpg

then started this process..

23lcbci.jpg

2ey9n2s.jpg

4ptjjm.jpg

in a few days ill start on the other side.

• Like 1

is that a removable hardtop, or permanent?  

It will be removable. The rods you see in the last pic go into the bed & are on both sides. Up where the visors are Ill fab up a support beam & the latches. And i may weld some rods underneath like headliner bows to make it more solid. I have hours of grinding ahead of me still.... :pirate:

• Like 2

It kinda looks permanent with the welds along the rear bottom, but he could have done that to hold it in position till all the welding is done, then when it is cut loose, it will stay the shape it's supposed to be.

This is a lot of work what you are doing, I hope it looks factory when you are done, like it was just another model that was made.

• Like 2

Wayno it will be a mix of custom & factory when its done. Im doing all of the work with the roof just sitting in place & theres no flex.

Charlie hard to say what it will weigh but it'll be a 2 person job to remove it for sure. I plan to go back this Sunday & get more done.

• Like 1

Mark the rental on the bottles is pretty cheap.  it is a economical way to get bottles.  You can purchase the bottles after you win the lottery!  LOL

I may end up renting them seeing as i dont play the lottery.

Today i got the PS roughed in & had to use several pieces of steel but shes strong. Ill be adding many more tacks then its hammer & dolly time...

2i1gk5h.jpg

2q9moo2.jpg

& this piece will tie into the brace Ill add on the underside...

6ztw5e.jpg

& this shows the rods that slide into the cab & hold it in place...

aep7k2.jpg

• Like 2