Boosting the amp. on a 620

Rubberman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I've already got everything new and ready to go on. I think I've seen on here that the Saturn Alt. puts out about 95 Amps. Can you get more, or is it even needed?

as long as your current draw is less then 95 amps your battery will always be charged and you will have no worries, the only reason you would need more is when you are running accessories that draw more then the 95 amps over a period of time will drain your battery because they draw more then can charge..

if you ant more just do like i did and have one built and run 250 amp output :lol::lol: but you should never need this in a datsun unless you have crazy power draw and its going to run you about 350 so just do the saturn

The stock 620 unit is 50amp, also 'more than needed'.

Not that I'm aware of. There is a metal foil label with the output printed on it. The '73-'79 were rated at no more than 35 amp. There was an optional 38 amp for cooler climates and in Canada. Only the 720 were higher at 50 and 60 amp.

Yes I see you are right. My factory parts catalog lists a 38A "option" for a/c models, but not a 50A such as replaced the 35A on other Datsuns.

In any case, 35A, 50A or 60A all bolt directly on, should be enough unless you are running refrigerators or stereo competitions from it.

as long as your current draw is less then 95 amps your battery will always be charged

Buy a volt meter for the car then you can see when it loads down and turn off stuff you dont need to keep the voltage up.

some alternator shops can rewire a 35 amper to give more POWER.

The trucks use the smaller alternator due to the Idler arm being in the way when a bigger alternator is installed.

Do you already have the internally regulated alt? (1978-79)

If so you can bolt in a 1978 200SX alternator. They are 50amp. Just use a 200sx belt with it. Bosch makes a 1978 200sx high output alternator too. Same size, but 60amp. I bought one of those for a 620 back in the day. It was more than enough.

I never did the 'swap' on my 1976 truck but I remember reading that its pretty easy. I put the 60amp in a 1978 truck.

You just cross some wires from where the external regulator plugged in and then install your alternator.

Hainz probably knows offhand.

You may also have to paint the rising sun on your hood though... not sure on that one

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/archsoftware/importedcarpartspfp/quote.jsp?partner=pacific&year=1978&product=F4000-98026&application=000152700&partnerSession=3b8d250734449bf3a4dd2ad01a5420ee

F400010049BOS.JPG

You can see the Bosch part number on the pic. Also take that to your local auto parts store. See if they can order it for you. Then you can do your core exchange right there (no shipping it) and you don't pay shipping on the alt you're buying.