Project: Nekid, five two one

Well I guess I should start my build thread now that I got some pics to throw up. I have a '71 521 truck that I bought from a guy on the board. Plans are to strip all the paint off, bag and body drop and engine and trans swap. So far I'm thinkin' an LZ22 engine with a 5 speed. As far as the paint goes, everytime I got some primer and paint on it, I kept liking it without paint, so I think thats the trucks way of saying "I want to run around with no clothes on". So, I didn't argue with her. Anyway he's some pics for ya.

Heres what I started with

mytruck1.jpg

mytruck3.jpg

got some new shoes for her

lucky006.jpg

started getting the rust off

lucky003.jpg

lucky001.jpg

getting everything removed and taking paint off

nekid005.jpg

it's amazing what you find when you take it down

lucky013.jpg

after

lucky019.jpg

more work

nekid007.jpg

nekid006.jpg

nekid004.jpg

nekid001.jpg

nekid012.jpg

nekid011.jpg

nekid010.jpg

nekid009.jpg

nekid008.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. I was surprised that i didnt really find any rust either. There was just some tiny pinholes of rust but very minor. I have a few pics of how I fixed them with JB weld. As for the suspension, I re-indexed the torsion bars and i have 3" blocks in the rear with the main leaf and the overload spring left. All of the bumpstops have been removed.

i like it man the bare idea is cool the only problem i can see is the body pannels have to be perfect any imperfection will show due to having nothing on it and you cant bondo over it then you will not be all bare a tough project indeed man i wish you luck with it man

Guest jaimesix

Nice truck.

Is it a long bed??? I did not know these trucks were sold with long beds. It looks like though.

Cool!!!!

Jaime._________________________________________________

No, it's a short bed. I think the angle I took the pic is a little weird.

I started taking more paint off the back of the cab and found a little more bondo that was covering 3 little holes. Not sure what they were from or for but I found them.

• 2 weeks later...

use WD-40 or another aersol oil, the humidity in the air or people touching the truck will make it rust. put your hand on it flat and if you skin is oily or sweaty in a few days you will see a rusty hand print.

give it a good WD-40 bath now and then and when you see it starting to rust again steel wool it and spray some WD in that spot.

there is also a special clear coat now, i am not sure who makes it, that is specifically made for bare metal. standard paint clear coat doesnt work very well. i know from experience