What would you pay for good tailgate?

Man I'm stoked! Been looking for a tailgate for my 620 for years. Found someone that has one that's been stored since '78. (it a '75 or '76) Check this out:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC001362Large.jpg[/img]"]DSC001362Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC00138Large.jpg[/img]"]DSC00138Large.jpg

Think it was ever used? Maybe taken off by their father for a camper, and put in the attic a few years later? If I get it I'll find out. What do YOU think it's worth?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't a done deal yet!!! Damn $200 ? crap I don't want to pay that much. I asked if she wanted to trade anything for it instead... she said no she wasn't into that stuff, but she did drive a Nissan though. Shit it's a 6 hour round trip too.

Thats as clean as it gets. It depends on how bad you want it. Go to the game holding $200, but start gentle, maybe $80 to $100. If she gets "that look" on her face, then suggest she name a price. Most people don't like to haggle, especially if its something they don't really want anyway

Mike

I had a 1981 ford courier, those are less common than datsuns.

I needed a new one for my truck, so i waited a long time until one finally appeared. It has 20 miles on it, lady bought the truck and put a camper style canopy on it and it was stored since. 0 dings, 0 rust, no use, PERFECT. Shined like new after a quick rinse.

I paid a total of 50 dollars for the tail gate, and drove round trip 8 hours to get it. only cost me 25 dollars in gas in my honda to pick it up

Nice piece like that Mike? Try for a hundred and pay what she wants if you can't bargain her down .... This on the island?

Yeah on the island. Hope the Vide guys aren't reading this.

Mike

I had a 1981 ford courier, those are less common than datsuns.

I needed a new one for my truck, so i waited a long time until one finally appeared. It has 20 miles on it, lady bought the truck and put a camper style canopy on it and it was stored since. 0 dings, 0 rust, no use, PERFECT. Shined like new after a quick rinse.

I paid a total of 50 dollars for the tail gate, and drove round trip 8 hours to get it. only cost me 25 dollars in gas in my honda to pick it up

Damn, $50 eh? I have one but it was repaired and ... the bondo is flapping. It's important to me to display that DATSUN name out there. You know?

I Paid $75.00 for a gate that was almost exactly the same...Color was the Butterscotch and it was the same thing...His Dad had the dealer remove it for a slide in camper shell and it was stored forever till I found it.

I've seen a 521 gate in that shape sell for $200 on E-bay. I am not sure just how much rarer the 521's would be.

The thing is, if she is shipping and it is on e-bay, the east coast hunters will be willing to pay. If one this nice is rare in the west (aka Datsun paradise) imagine how rare it is here!

You're right, just a part. There's a gate on a truck in the wreckers. Not as nice though. Hey I pulled an R-180 4:11 from a 720 yesterday!! It's been sitting there for years and finally went on the pile. I had them take it down and tip it up to get at it. Has a nice 5spd in it too. Looks like it's a shorty! I want the front Z bell for my CA18ET 5spd so it will fit the truck. This leaves a spare gear set for my spare L front case I have. This will make a short FS5W71B that is 26" long and will fit a 510. We'll see

You're right, just a part. There's a gate on a truck in the wreckers. Not as nice though. Hey I pulled an R-180 4:11 from a 720 yesterday!! It's been sitting there for years and finally went on the pile. I had them take it down and tip it up to get at it. Has a nice 5spd in it too. Looks like it's a shorty! I want the front Z bell for my CA18ET 5spd so it will fit the truck. This leaves a spare gear set for my spare L front case I have. This will make a short FS5W71B that is 26" long and will fit a 510. We'll see

My buddy put one of those 5 speeds behind his single cam KA in his dime. It was nice using a stock DL. I helped him put it in, it was really weird putting a super small trans behind a KA :D

So is the tailgate on Ebay right now? I have an extra you can have if you want it. The truck had a canopy so it's not to rust but does have the common "out" dents :( No bad ones though.

Jeff, thanks for the kind offer.... I'll have to check Jason's Delivery Service eh? :D

No it's apparently on a local Victoria thing caller used vic for $150 according to lou. When I downloaded the picture from an e-mail I screwed up and it became my new screen saver. :blink: I took this as a good sign. :D

Edited by datzenmike

That tailgate is a puff Ive never seen the letters so crisp!! to bad she listed it. shipping is indeed gonna suck. Hey theres a 521 tailgate at the col. blvd. upull it right now and its nice also an older 620 look in the colector side of the yard if you go. the bed on the 521 is sweet to. I have a 79 tailgate thats pretty nice if anyones inerested:)