years 280zx

bucket

i need the for sure years on 280zx rotors. my wagon has warped rotors and i need to order more but i have no idea what the (for sure) years are that wil work and i need to order asap. are any 79-83's gonna work?and im wonderin if even though the shoes still got a bunch of meet on em should i replace em also because they ve been possibly distorted by the warped rotor????????????

help me out fellas

Edited by bucket
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i dont know much of the back story, i got the car 3 weeks ago, and got it running a few days ago. it came with the 280zx front breakes witch wobbel when i stop so off come the wheels and warped rotors i find. so the shoes are chunky but im gonna replace them any way so i know there flat. but when i go out a shoppin. im told i got to know what year the breakes were originally on, but how the hell do i know. either way i just sold my 620 so this is my now daily driver and i gotta get em takin care of.

Thank you kindly for that info. I searched in the FAQ, but found nothing.

I just broke out the factory manual so I don't screw anyone up.

Fronts - 252mm or 9.92in

Rears - 269mm or 10.59in

I'm going to shoot you a pm to let you know

ok pads i mean. and the rotor on there are 9.25ish but i cant get a caliper on there right now.

9.25in is not a rotor from any z 70-88 now that I have the chart sitting in front of me......

thats as close as i gather with the wheel on till i get off work. but just to know what is stock rotor diamiter in cace im wrong, wich is know to happen.

they just look bigger than stock at a glance

Stock diam for what car lol.

i need the for sure years on 280zx rotors.

The rotors are probably not warped, they have been run hot and pad material has transferred onto them. Now when the wheel turns the pad rubs against the transferred material and there is increased friction, a sort of 'tight spot'. The steering wheel will tug from side to side as you pull to a stop. Brake shops make a lot of money selling new rotors and pads to people with this problem. If you have an electric sander just clean the rotors up nice and shiny on both sides. Don't worry you aren't going to remove anywhere near enough metal to have any effect. If the rotors are grooved have them re-surfaced at a shop and put new pads on. Depending on price new ones may be an option.

280zx were from '79 to '83. IF you have zx rotors those are the years. Ask the previous owner! If you don't know the year then we sure won't. Ask for '79 rotors and see if they were used on any other zx year like up to '81. If they don't fit take 'em back and try the next rotor after '81. Trial and error.

Edited by datzenmike
I know ZX's have two different part #'s for rotors...79-81 and 82-83..this includes fr and r rotors and pads.

Ya you know I noticed that too. The service manual lists one set of dimensions but brembo for example has 3, one for the front and 2 for the rear. The difference in the rear is .5mm thickness and 5mm diameter. But neither diameter matches the stock spec lol.

I know for a fact they all work with one another so I wonder what the deal is.

Brembo Front Brake Disc

App: 1979-1983 Nissan 280ZX

Brand: Brembo

Part #: 25255

Notes: "BREMBO VENTED BRAKE DISC, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- 4 Lugs, 252 mm Diameter, 20 mm Thickness, 18 mm Minimum Thickness, 29 mm Overall Height, Made Of High Carbon Cast Iron, Machined To Exact OEM Specifications, With Better Damping Factor That Reduces Noises And Vibrations"

http://www.racepages.com/parts/brake_rotors/nissan/280zx.html

That's that......

see if you can get the rotors turned??????? at a automotive machine shop.

They will mic them ,then could be good as new

try this website brembo

http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search

hit the brembo brakes avatar photo on the side and keep hitting nissan and 280zx it will pop up. its a hard website to navigate but has good prices on NGK wire sets and clutches ect.........

forget it, I just saw what 72240z posted at a better price!!!!!!!!!!

But you ck out L series Rocker arms they want 54$ apc!!!!!!!!!!!! from that website

Too bad Mr-Auto-parts went defunct they had Rockers for 13$ apc!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)