THEFT ALERT - There are two guys attempting to steal Datsuns in east Sacramento......

BarryA

I came within no more than 30 seconds of losing my 79 KC this afternoon - came out of Border's books on Fair Oaks Blvd (Pavillions shopping center, just east of Howe) to see my doors open, one guy leaning in the passenger seat and another one sitting in my driver's seat. I started yelling "out of truck, ass...." and running when I heard the engine crank over.

Fortunately, it didn't catch immediately (grace of god, I guess - usually it starts instantly) and I don't think they expected me to close on them as quickly as I did - the guy in the driver's seat jumped out, they both sprinted about 6 parking spaces to a 720 pickup, jumped in and went smoking out of the lot.

About 6 people saw it all happen (three of us got the 720's license number) - it's all been reported, not that it's likely to do much good. One of the witnesses was a woman probation officer - she got a good look at the guys when they ran past her (early-mid 20's, said one appeared caucasian, the other hispanic, one had a mustache, both 5'10' or so, both wearing "beanies") - truck they were driving was a root beer brown 720 (think it was a KC, but saw it mainly from the back) with a cream colored aluminum camper shell with corrugated sides & small windows,

Interestingly, there was zero damage to my truck - when they took off, the ignition was still on with no key in it, so I'd guess that they've got some sort of pass or master key. Anyhow, I'd recommend keeping an eye your trucks, and watch out for these low-lifes.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you gotta hook up a kill switch, I have them on all my cars. I fucking hate thieves!!! I don't understand why I have to go to work every day but they get to be lazy and take what isn't there's..... Then when they get caught nothing happens to them.... BS!

level of anti-theft protection when I'm done, and it won't be left parked ANYWHERE until then.

I don't normally drive the KC to work or leave it in parking lots - I had some stuff to dispose of in the dumpster at work, so I drove it and and stopped at Borders on the way home just long enough to pick up a book my wife wanted for her birthday.

If I'd come out 20 seconds later, I would've seen the taillights of the KC leaving the lot - would've been a REAL expensive birthday present.......

level of anti-theft protection when I'm done, and it won't be left parked ANYWHERE until then.

I don't normally drive the KC to work or leave it in parking lots - I had some stuff to dispose of in the dumpster at work, so I drove it and and stopped at Borders on the way home just long enough to pick up a book my wife wanted for her birthday.

If I'd come out 20 seconds later, I would've seen the taillights of the KC leaving the lot - would've been a REAL expensive birthday present.......

I would have chased them down and beat there asses at the first light they got stuck at. THEY would be looking for the police for help.

I would have chased them down and beat there asses at the first light they got stuck at. THEY would be looking for the police for help.

a) be armed, and B) might be high on god-knows-what isn't the best of odds - I'm in pretty decent shape and entirely capable of taking care of myself, but no matter how time & energy I've got invested, it isn't worth the risk of serious injury (or worse)...

a) be armed, and B) might be high on god-knows-what isn't the best of odds - I'm in pretty decent shape and entirely capable of taking care of myself, but no matter how time & energy I've got invested, it isn't worth the risk of serious injury (or worse)...

Amen. People that do this stuff in broad daylight don't have much up stairs if you know what I talkin about. Better to let them have it than have your life or our ass beat down by some scumbag. Not worth it to me.

Just install a sawed off 12 gauge pointing at the drivers headrest, and have that on a kill switch, pun totally intended!

not totally sure i thought that one through...

"Now in other news a valet picking up a datsun... (WTF) got killed today from the owners anti-theft device... Owner likely to face life in prision, the governator says that and I quote California will not stand for such sophisticated and lethal justice."

Edited by 510er
haha

reminds me of when i was gettin out of work, (had to park at the store next door cause i had no parking space..) i come walkin up to hear my truck turning over.. me an my friend ran up on the guy i was like what the fuck u doin in my truck man.. he's like are u so an so.. im like nope im sure the fuck not now i suggest u get the fuck outta my truck (buddy was already on phone with police) the guy got out of my truck an ran.. since then i've had a kill switch... oh an replaced my ignition switch... alot of old datsun ignitions can be turned on with almost anything... i find the newer ones more difficult

the funny thing is my truck normally starts first try also.. but thank got it was cold an the dumbass didnt think to double tap the gas pedal.. haha i'd have been screwed also man.. but thank god neither of us lost our trucks..

true, but im an MP now, so even though I'm still the same person, I feel 10 feet high when I'm really not. Some times it makes a difference, it can be the thing that saves my ass or it can get me in WAY over my head....usually the latter....well mostly the latter....ok, the latter.

Man you gotta hook up a kill switch, I have them on all my cars. I fucking hate thieves!!! I don't understand why I have to go to work every day but they get to be lazy and take what isn't there's..... Then when they get caught nothing happens to them.... BS!

In all fairness you could do the same. We all have the same choices. You just unlike them had someone instill proper values where as they were raised to be pieces of shit.

It is bs nothing happens. My z32 was stolen 4 years ago, I followed up a dozen times easy. Cops don't care to do anything....cept bitch and abuse.

I'm glad to hear nothing was damaged. Sounds like all pluses to me. Play the lotto :-).

This could happen anywhere! Sac-town today...San Diego tomorrow...Tempe the next. We ALL need to get on the friggin ball here...I ONLY drive old cars. My 1971 521 is anything BUT hard to steal! :blink:I have sat at dinner watching out the window for far too long. I need to get a kill switch (engage:) installed and fast. I will be on it this week.

Thanks for the heads up AGAIN!

Twice warned...:cool:

happened - in addition to the usual active & passive stuff (kill switches, new locks, alarms, etc), I've also been trying to come up with "outside the box" options.

One thought was to install a really high decible, siren (like maybe 110-120 db) hidden inside the cab behind a speaker grill, hooked into a basic alarm system with maybe a 15-20 second delay before the siren triggers. I can't imagine anybody succeeding at figuring out how to get a disabled vehicle started with a 110+ db siren screaming his ear, and if there's some hearing loss as a side effect, oh, well......

happened - in addition to the usual active & passive stuff (kill switches, new locks, alarms, etc), I've also been trying to come up with "outside the box" options.

One thought was to install a really high decible, siren (like maybe 110-120 db) hidden inside the cab behind a speaker grill, hooked into a basic alarm system with maybe a 15-20 second delay before the siren triggers. I can't imagine anybody succeeding at figuring out how to get a disabled vehicle started with a 110+ db siren screaming his ear, and if there's some hearing loss as a side effect, oh, well......

see you in court, you can be sued for that, i have SEEN it happen....well "I" wont see you in court, but i will hear about it...and it will be sad.

Edited by dwnshfter

i think bein sued for it would be worth it.. cock sucker can have my money but he wont have my truck.. an i took his hearing so i guess payin for someone to lose they're hearing cause they tryed stealin something of mine would be worth it hehe, not to mention it really depends on judge an jury ect

Guest DatsuNoob

I've been contemplating purchasing a train horn kit for my truck. For right around $300, you can have one hell of an alarm system, and every eye within a 1/4 mile radius on your truck watching the douchebag trying to take it. I also liked bleach's idea of routing the ignition wire to the horn to set it off when your kill switch is cutting the power to the system. I've even thought about trying to find a boot used by tow truck drivers. They're quite effective, I put them on when I used to impound cars.

I had a friend that worked for ADT adn one of his guys went back to a customers house and did some "afterhours installs" that were not allowed by ADT. there was an outside siren in the garage and one in the living room. the guy fell through I think a skylight and broke his legs and it knocked him unconscious for a few hours. he lost hearing in both ears and sued the guy for having unauthorized security equipment installed in an unsafe manner (IIRC) and had to pay the guy a pretty hefty sum. Fucked I know, but just a heads up. I was going to write this out earlier, but I was a little busy, lol.

When you got in to your truck, was your ignition unplugged? I had a '76 620 and to get in all you had to do was stick a thin screwdriver in the left hole under the door handle, move the screwdriver to the left and push down. That would move the door lock up and you could get in. Then right behind the ignition on the column you can unplug the connector. Then plug another one in and start it right up. You can be in and gone in under a minute.

When you got in to your truck, was your ignition unplugged? I had a '76 620 and to get in all you had to do was stick a thin screwdriver in the left hole under the door handle, move the screwdriver to the left and push down. That would move the door lock up and you could get in. Then right behind the ignition on the column you can unplug the connector. Then plug another one in and start it right up. You can be in and gone in under a minute.

damn, i never thought about that, just bring your own cylinder and key. makes me want to buy all the cylinders from the JY so no one else can use them in an inappropriate manner....

then go buy all the ones at the part store... besides who needs an ignition switch.. u can get it startin with a paper clip lol... the part thats crucial is havin some kind of kill switch..

oh yeah :( damnit. I was thinking.....i have all the wireing from my 01 focus..the keys are matched to the steering column and ECU, would it be possible (I'm not going to do it, just wondering) to wire it all in and use the ford key? would not be able to be started without the "chip" in the key.... thoughts?