1992 Nissan SKYLINE $ 15,000. Sacrifice

Well thanks 72 240Z , You know i had a few people interested in my car a few months ago when I was advertising it for $ 25 K ( not Kidding ) never did someone argue the price, but its still here ( I would have dropped the price if asked ) and that little 2.0 litre rb20 , don`t let that short stroke fool you , its Rev happy, and only 9 pounds of boost I Mop the floor with the new Hemi Challenger , super charged Saleens + more of your so called fast muscle cars, A few people would call + say the same , Oh I wanted a Rb25 or 26 , I just tell them go ahead and buy a Skyline with a rb25, I will not be offended, I mean how much more power do I need, I can put it on the limiter in every gear in the blink of a eye,+ 4th and 5 th pulls harder than any car Ive had, So i am satisfied, Still I think $ 15K for this car is cheap.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you can buy a car in Canada and license it in USA... except for non-USA-spec cars newer than 25 years old. Canadians buys non-conforming cars under the 15 year rule.

15k seems like a good deal. Hakosuka? For me it is C10 or nothing (except may R32 or R34), even a C10 GTS would be great. Legal in USA.

It's not impossible. There are several here. But cars newer than 25 years -- not designed for US market -- are not allowed due to DOT crash-test regulations.

So all your 1970 C10 Skylines are legal ... 1974 hakosuka Skylines legal too. Most R32 and R33 are illegal. They say there are a couple-dozem legal R34s here, a California importer got the paperwork (and crash test?) done, but with irregularities and the license was pulled. Some rumour like that.

That's what makes this R32 so special, already has a legal title and registration.

Edited by ggzilla
It's not impossible. There are several here. But cars newer than 25 years -- not designed for US market -- are not allowed due to DOT crash-test regulations.

So all your 1970 C10 Skylines are legal ... 1974 hakosuka Skylines legal too. Most R32 and R33 are illegal. They say there are a couple-dozem legal R34s here, a California importer got the paperwork (and crash test?) done, but with irregularities and the license was pulled. Some rumour like that.

That's what makes this R32 so special, already has a legal title and registration.

yeah, i recall hearing that the shop that was importing them no-longer does. I do recall the price tag for a r34 being something like 90k. quite spendy if you ask me. Supposingly if you go through all the paper work you can get cars registered for around 10k. Never did it so dont quite me. back when I used to frequent the zilva forums (2002ish) there were quite a few threads about importing cars.

As I understand from DMV in Albany , they called me when I went for Emissions test , Being Pennsylvania titled it at first as a 2003 Special construction Vehicle, for NY thats not good, no OB2 hookup ,anyway they called and said hey Eric , what kind of car do you have? and I said I have a 2003 SP Con. Vehicle. They said what kind ? + I said 2 door coupe, then they said , look we know you have a 92 Skyline GT + they are illegal in the USA and there is a Ban on them , so I said , look,I am not some young kid playing games, I do everything by the book, my car has a clean Penn. title,+ if you are going to revoke it I want my tax money back. What happens is some states over step thier authority + title these cars as a Kit car , SP Con.Veh. or Custom,I guess they do not know all the laws pertaining to these cars. The reason why its like this is everything, the Glass ( not SAE certified ) , the light lenses ( not SAE certified ) the whole dam car not SAE you get the rest,Well I wanted my car to be as Legal as can be and that included the Emissions test + sticker because here in NY the DMV computer knows if you got your car inspected or not + if you don`t you get your registration suspended. So I had brought this Skyline in for the complete check out, Vin # verification ,all part # `s checked ( IMO this is impossible they do not have JDM #`s in a book ) + what ever else they check, Then they stated the Penn. Vin # is good , the car is good , they re- titled it as a 92 Custom .Why ? Because with no MSO from USA they cannot title it as a Nissan. So I beleave its RARE to have one legal , A dozen people or more have called me asking How they can make their cars legal because they cannot do it , I tell them to go buy one thats US titled allready. There is a nice GTS on Ebay right now a silver one $ 34,000 bucks + last week there was one for $ 55K and a yellow GTR for $ 180,000 ( some people are out of hand ) ? IMO my car is a $25 K car, thats what I see the legal ones going for , I searched for about 2 years before I could find one that was Legit .

All states will clear it... the only prohibitions are cars newer than 25 years old.

Yep, just like every other car around that is gray market.

r32's like I said have been in that range for quite some time. I'm always so surprised when people don't know this, it's like the rule of thumb. Think about all the gray market cars on the road, lots of Porsches, Alfas, Opels, Mgs, Fiats etc...

That's why I bowed out of the convo lol, Mr skyline is describing what it was not what it is. Not for nothing too but if a person buys a 2000 grey market car, goes through all the legal channels and trouble to register it. Then in 2025 those model cars can be easily imported and registered with no red tape at all. The car looses quite a bit of value. If I were the owner it would be top priority to off it BEFORE that happened.

Someone will buy the car for either what your asking or close to it. I venture it's just going to take time and a person with more money but less time and knowledge then the average enthusiast.

Edited by 72240z
"Gray Market" is buying product from unapproved dealer or via illegal distribution. For a 1972 240Z it doesn't apply. Sellers in other countries are free to sell used cars, and we are free to buy them. Nothing illegal or unapproved about it.

"A grey market or gray market is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels which, while legal, are unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended by the original manufacturer."

That is any car not released here but then imported and bought/sold like all the makes I previously listed, and the car we are talking about. I never once mentioned a z of any year and I don't see the point of your post. Since you mention it though a 432 or a rhd z would be grey market.

Maybe I'm missing something. I have a feeling your confusing grey/gray and black because grey is never illegal, if you go through illegal channels it is now black market.

Edited by 72240z

I am sure you could buy a GTs Skyline from Canada for cheaper with alot of miles, but it will not sound and preform like this car ,+ i doubt it will have 18 inch SSR`s with 10 .5 rear tires stuffed under there , ,and with the 25 year old import rules,( I am not sure that applys to Skylines because as i have stated Dozens of people have called me because they ran into road blocks trying to legalize them + want my advice ) So its 2009 then - 25 years that gives you 1984. So you can import any car thats 1984 or older ? I do not know .If someone buys this car it will not be because they are misinformed, it will be because its a Awesome Kickass RHD Skyline with 34 Kilommeters ,a bunch of aftermarket GO-Fast goodies and is ready to just go to DMV + get registered in the new owners name .

DD wrong on a couple counts: the r33 is the only car that can legally be here. the r32 and r34 were never crash tested

just because you see them driving around, registered with plates, does not make them legal

when the r32 reaches 25 years, then it will be DOT exempt, but it still may be required to have local emissions testing done, and lord knows how'd pass that ...

Edited by Burabuda

You never know, I don`t have 13K , and i didn`t when I bought this car, but I just thought I would throw it out there , that I was not as firm on the price as I was in January .Hopefully i can keep the car , but I have to advertise anyway to help make ends meet.

when the r32 reaches 25 years, then it will be DOT exempt, but it still may be required to have local emissions testing done, and lord knows how'd pass that ...

Should not be a problem [if it doesn't need unavailable replacement parts by 25 years] since Japanese emission test standards are higher than California standards. In the military, if you are bringing an American car to Japan you are warned that only California spec cars in very good condition should be shipped and even then, if they fail you will have to pay to ship it back stateside.

DD wrong on a couple counts: the r33 is the only car that can legally be here. the r32 and r34 were never crash tested

just because you see them driving around, registered with plates, does not make them legal

Just like I passed a fewother cars before I went to emissions exempt.

Isoprofyln alcohol however you spell it. About a gallon of the purest stuff you can get out of a pharmacy and a 1/4 tank or so of super. Make sure she is hot, make a vac leak if you have too and they clear with flying colors. No cats, no nothing :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ya all said and done I'm sorry you had to sell it, for W/E it sold for. You obviously cared for it, genuine shame. Maybe you can pick one up again in the near future that you will be better off with.

Edited by 72240z

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.