1980 Datsun 210 wagon

Bandit240

I used to drive this car daily until the headgasket blew about a year ago. I started working on it then, but with all the other stuff i had going on, it was forgotten. Now that my F250 has died and the 620 is along way from being done, i've got to fix something to drive, so the wagon gets repaired. We bought this car back in 2003 for $300 and its been the best $300 ive ever spent. Im going to try have it running by the end of the week, that is if my shop heater keeps working, if not it will take longer.

Now for the pics.

Overhead view from the roof.

IMG_0538.jpg

Its covered in rust stopping primer.

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Its in good shape except for some small rust spots, and the drivers doors. Its never had the front fenders removed.

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

The mighty A14. It ran great, and should run great again. Has 260k on it. This is the first time it will have had the head off. I rebuilt the carb a few years back.

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

My wife posing next to it in the shop. It was "her" car, but she has a much newer car now, so its mine.

IMG_1219.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car itself is in good shape, very very little rust. The drivers doors are about shot, but they work.

If i get it up and running soon and you still want that auto, let me know. Ill drive it up there to bring it since the 210 gives about 40mpg on the highway with a 5sp.

Well i got the carb off today, but that was it. Spent most of the day trying to fix my heater for the shop. Its dead, so time for a newer heater, the little space heaters arnt cutting it.

IMG_1276.jpg

Carb was rebuilt maybe 40k ago, about 3 years.

IMG_1278.jpg

Don't know why its broken, but ive got to have it fixed.

IMG_1277.jpg

It has a 620 clutched fan on it, since the blades on the old fan came off. Long story there that i would rather not tell.

IMG_1287.jpg

A bunch of random pics. It has the Nissan emblem from the hood of my 01 Frontier.

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

My dash is bad.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

Random gaskets and wires on the floor.

IMG_1301.jpg

I love this thing. Makes a great tool tray.

IMG_1288.jpg

I got the head off the motor. It looks like it may be ok. This is one of those times where i want to kick my own ass for tossing something. I HAD another whole A14 with a hole rusted in the block, but the head was fine. Ive got the rockers and pushrods from it.

Heres the pics.

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Cylinders.

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Doesn't look too bad for having 267k on it. The gasket went out on #4 cylinder.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

Tomorrow ill check the head and start cleaning it all up.

Edited by Bandit240

Well the head is ok, so its soaking in purple power to clean it up. Im going to clean up the block in a little bit. Had to do a little work on the 620 so it could drive out of the main shop. I think the carb is done for on it.

Ok, so where the headgasket blew out the head had some pitting. Took it up to the machine shop that my granddad has been going to for many decades and had them look at it. It did need to be machined some. He did the work as we waited and gave me a set of valve stem seals for it, $36. Ill have some pics up later. Kinda wish my dremel worked so i could do a little polishing inside the intake, but oh well.

Heres the pitted area on the head.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Heres the head before the machine shop.

IMG_0015.jpg

And after

IMG_0020.jpg

I spent an hour cleaning this area up. Sanded it with 220 on a block and then 400, nice and smooth. For some reason the gasket i got isnt right.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Spent today getting the head done. We had to reface the valves and re do the seats. Its had a total head job done to it now. Going to try get it all back together Saturday. Got to go pick up a few gaskets and some other odds and ends in the morning.

I didn't put the head back on today, got busy with other stuff. I did make it up to the P&P to get the seats out of a 720 they have. Granted they don't match the colour inside the car, they are nicer.

Had to bring them home in the Camaro.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

It turns out that the late 80's Nissan vans are a gold mine for dome lights. It had 2 of them in good shape. They are a little smaller than the stock light in the 210, but its better than what ive got. The extra lens was in the glove box.

IMG_0026.jpg

nice work bandit. seems like you really got a good deal at the machine shop. i have been meaning to reply to your threads since i have a b210 with a a14 also. so 250000 and it's always been good until now? mine has either 130, or 230 thoudand miles so that is good to know. i've done a head gasket on a ka24de before, but this looks so much easier! did you have any other problems before this? just wondering what i'm heading for. i think of all the 210 models the wagon is my favorite.

It has 269k on the clock. The headgasket is very easy, but i would advise to remove the manifolds with the head since it would be alot easier. I had a hell of a time getting the lower bolts loose. Ive still got to remove the exhaust manifold from the system so i can remove the pipes that lead up to the air cleaner. Im busy as hell with keeping an eye on my granddad for the next few days, so no work on it. Also got to repair a boat that i sold.

Charlie, what year B210 do you have? Ive got factory service manuals for '74, '75 and '76. If you could use one of them, PM me.

The wagon has been a great car. Ive always been addicted to wagons. My all time favourite wagon would be a '79 510 or 810. There is a guy with an 810 wagon that takes it to the local dealer every month for servicing. I looked in it one day and even though its a bit rough, it had over 600k on it a few years ago. It still going too. I like the '79 510 since its a little larger than the 210, but has an L20b. I had an '80 with a Z-series motor that knocked real bad. I ran it a little over 500 miles before it finally tossed that rod out of the block. I do kinda miss that car even though it was a total piece of junk. Theres another '80 510 wagon in the woods behind me. Im going to try its owner to see if i can pick parts from it.

This is the one i had.

BLUE511.jpg

This is the one in the woods.

510.jpg

Ok, ive got the head ready. I will be installing the manifolds to the head in the morning and installing it. Im ready to get this thing done and running, the camaro decided to be an ass today and not start for over an hour when i went to get some lunch.

My custom EGR block off plate.

IMG_0094.jpg

Nice shiny head and block.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Im going to be looking for a non emissions manifold or a header sometime soon. My manifold has a few cracks in it where the EGR pipe was at.

Things are moving along now on it. Got the manifolds back on the head and the head back in the car. Ive got all the emissions stuff removed from the car also. Im in need of a non emissions air cleaner to fit it. Mine has the attachments for the 2 pipes that go to the exhaust manifold, id like to find one that doesnt have them on it. Im also looking for another manifold seeing as mine is cracked, but i will make do with it for now.

Head re-installed.

IMG_0100.jpg

Got the carb all ready to go back on once i get more hoses and a few other small things.

IMG_0102.jpg

This is my air cleaner, you can see all the extra stuff it has.

IMG_0103.jpg