1980 Datsun 210 wagon

Bandit240

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, im going to be repainting them red anyway. I may do a rising sun hood, not sure yet. As for the exhaust, I JUST put that on there about a year before it died. Im not hacking the muffler off at all. We drove it around for a few years with a muffler that looked like it was in a rear-ender and was loud as shit. That car is quite now and its staying that way.

Well the wagon is done for now. Its on the road again. Its been so long since i drove the thing, i forgot how much fun it was to drive. Ive got to get a clutch for it soon.

Oh yea, its a great surprise to be out and about driving a car around after a year and a half of not driving it and having the bottom drop out of the clouds, only to find the wipers dont work anymore.

Got a new project to work on wile i wait on some parts to get in. Ive got a spare cluster for the dash, so im going to install a tach in it. I pulled the tach from the 720 at LKQ and its just the right size to fit where the clock would have been on mine.

720 tach

IMG_0158.jpg

It will fit nice in the hole on the right side.

IMG_0157.jpg

I was going to try install this cluster, but it wont work, and i dont think ive got the wiring for all the gauges on it.

IMG_0160.jpg

It has a tach, oil pressure and voltage gauge. It would be nice, but i dont think i can get it to work. Its from a 1980 510 wagon.

Also found some rust.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

The good thing is, other than the drivers side doors thats the worst rust.

Did another upgrade today. I put new carpet in the cargo area. Ive hauled engines and other crap back there, so it was time for some new carpet.

Old

IMG_0203.jpg

No carpet, fixed a few rattles while i was there.

IMG_0206.jpg

New carpet.

IMG_0207.jpg

Lookin good Bandit, is that a carpet kit or did you cut it in yourself? That 210 wagon at the yard up here has the 4 headlights and the z20 motor and they have it listed as a 210. I looked all over that thing and could not find anything saying 510 or 210. It has the same dash cluster that you have in your pic. It looks like yours. If theres anything you might need off it let me know and I'll pick it up for you and you can get it when I get the tranny.

To get the 720 tach working ...

IMG_0158.jpg

...you WILL need this 2.2K ohm resistor in line....

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720stuffLarge2.jpg[/img]"]720stuffLarge2.jpg

Some are on the wire harness just behind the battery others are near the coils on the other side. All Nissans have the resistor if they have tachs in them. At the tach.. Black is ground, Yellow/Red is power and Black/Blue is the signal from the EI (through the 2.2K ohm resistor)

Rubberman, that would be a 510. Theres one in the woods behind the house, so ive plenty of parts from it. I cut the carpet myself from a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes.

Ive given up on the tach for now. I cant find the wires in the dash for the 210's tach anyway. Im going to work on installing it in the cluster as i can and then try wire it up.

Today was a busy day for the little wagon. I removed the roof rack, sanded and primed the roof. Installed a domelight from a newer nissan van and added a light in the cargo area. Also adjusted the valves and found a vacuum leak that was causing a rough idle.

Crappy pics.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

New dome light. It came from a 1987 Nissan Van, it had 2 of them in it.

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

The light used to be on my boat, seemed like it would work good here.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

I also got both of the front seats in, the both lean to the outside of the car, but i dont care.

IMG_0218.jpg

Didnt do much to it today. I painted the 5sp for the hell of it. Its never good to sit around bored with spray paint nearby.

IMG_0231.jpg

The roof is primed and the holes for the roof rack have tape over them.

IMG_0227.jpg

The motor.

IMG_0226.jpg

It runs good, but i need the exhaust manifold bad.

th_MVI_0225.jpg

So today saw a new fan belt and the hood got repainted.

Primed and ready for paint.

IMG_0273.jpg

Painted.

IMG_0274.jpg

Chillin in the sunlight to help dry the paint.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Still got more work to do. Might get the roof painted this weekend.