510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

Sup phil.

<- used to pick shit up for Kens shop (mindless then custom cutz)

Seriously bonvo...if you 'borrowed' her for a couple hours, would you just take pics of ur car?! I Think not.

Sean, your lip spoiler looks like the nerd in high school....all beat up..lol : poke: :lol:

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Donde esta el super charger? :-)

Haha, soon!! I just got paid, so once the check clears into my checking account, I'll be sending out for a SWEET KIT!! Then, yanking apart my block further, pulling the crank to have it balanced, lightened and knife-edged, replacing rod/main bearings, cleaning/inspecting the pistons and walls closer, having my head milled flat, welding some 1/4" steel under the new oil pan (LOW ride height = reinforced oil pan!) and reassembling everything!!

Later in August is when the crank is getting done, so until then, no REAL progress on the 'charger... Though when the whole setup is in my hands, I wont be holding off too long! I've got an itch for the whine!

I think it's actually sobrealimentador but I wasn't sure so.... lol

Sounds good wag, your wagon is my fav one on here, bozo with taste is looking nice. I keep checking the thread to see that's why I asked :-).

Edited by 72240z
  • 3 weeks later...

So small update... I should be paying the rest of the money to pay for the rest of the supercharger kit (FINALLY!), so I'll be getting the kit here by the end of the month. Funds have been tight for me between my hard drive going out on me, among other random things.

When the kit is here, though, I'm going through a huge internal debate...

I can slap the motor together, get it running and have it done. The motor will get a whole fresh gasket set and timing kit installed, so there will be no issues with oil leaks anymore, and things will be good to go...

OR

I can put off getting it running and instead focus on getting some really nice parts on/in it... While the head is off and the motor's out, I KIND of want to get some fresh internals in it. Why wouldn't I want some mildly aggressive pistons, new rods and some nice cams?! If I'm going through the trouble of taking the crank off to have it lightened/balanced/knife edged and replace the rod/main bearings... why not do a full rebuild with rods and pistons? If I'm going to get the car on a dyno and have my buddy Nate help tune it with the sweet GReddy Emanage Ultimate, why not make sure that it won't have to go on again in the future when I put new cams or pistons in it?!

I know it will push back the time line a lot, and cost me quite a bit more, but honestly... I've got nothing else in dire need of attention (at least that will cost me a lot of money!), I should try to focus on getting this motor build RIGHT the first time!

Give me your thoughts!

I would vote spending money on some internals and a rebuild/ tune. all that fancy prep work will pay off post boost. Also, I think you mentioned before you weren't planning on running a FMIC. Is that still the case? Unless there was another wagdatto type handle on IRC.

I would vote spending money on some internals and a rebuild/ tune. all that fancy prep work will pay off post boost. Also, I think you mentioned before you weren't planning on running a FMIC. Is that still the case? Unless there was another wagdatto type handle on IRC.

It will be supercharged... So no FMIC. If things need to be cooled, I'll hook up water/meth. Intercooling this setup would suck.

I'm only just starting to look at internals. I don't know how low compression I'd want for this setup, as I can't boost more than 14psi without only creating heat. Plus, that would require a custom crank or boost pulley.

It depends on the the type of super charger. Only a roots type bolts onto the manifold, a centrifugal is remote and an intercooler could easily be used.

Intercoolers aren't NECESSARY, they help with detonation, colder air resists detonation better. There are people though running upwards of 1 bar with none, all depends on the set up. On a super charged engine it's less of a concern because your not dealing with hot exhaust gasses.

Not trying to preach but there was just a whole bunch of wrong posted lol.

My friend linked me to this one the other day I thought it was a crisp, set up.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/273076-supercharged-ka-build.html

I wouldn't be able to resist bolting a turbo on though lol.

I like the idea of a chemical ic with your set up though. You know nos is a chemical ic too :-). Just saying with all those beefy internals your going to throw in there haha.

Edited by 72240z

I've posted why I'm not running an intercooler as well as what type of supercharger I'm running already. Intercoolers are never necessary, especially in low boost applications. Even on a KA-T, there are some setups that use stock injectors, a small T25 turbo, cheap manifold and some piping. Some kits don't even NEED a tune, the ECU is able to adjust enough to get them running fine.

That being said, an intercooler would cool down the air being sent fromt he compressor (turbo or s/c) to the intake. There was one person on KA-T.org that designed an intercooler that was sandwiched between the s/c and intake manifold. He had issues with boost leaks, and the amount the air was cooled was minimal.

Again, up to about 14psi of boost, the intake charge won't be hot enough to cause any big worries, and anything BEYOND about 14psi, the supercharger is past its efficiency range anyway.

Honestly, at the 10psi I'll be limited to by stock pulley sizing, I should never have any issues with hot intake. I might eventually install a water/meth injection setup just BECAUSE, but I doubt the effectiveness in this application.

Ahhhhh very interesting. The only sc I have ever worked with was on my vw corrado. It had a side mount stock. Removed it all and went turbo after not having any fun super charged. The sound of an sc > the sound of a turbo though. Can't wait to see your wagon charged.

I misread your response wag lol, then typed out a long wtf response. boy o boy.....

I saw the sandwich ic I thought it had potential, just wasn't executed well. I nice water to air core sandwiched between would cool just as much as it would not sandwiched and some people seem to make those work well. Although I don't like them.

There was right up somewhere of a plate using freon on the same principal as a a/c or fridge but I can't find it now. That's seems viable too. Not they you need it, you don't, I'm just saying.

Edited by 72240z
I misread your response wag lol, then typed out a long wtf response. boy o boy.....

I saw the sandwich ic I thought it had potential, just wasn't executed well. I nice water to air core sandwiched between would cool just as much as it would not sandwiched and some people seem to make those work well. Although I don't like them.

There was right up somewhere of a plate using freon on the same principal as a a/c or fridge but I can't find it now. That's seems viable too. Not they you need it, you don't, I'm just saying.

I'm trying to keep this project as easy as I can. My fab skills are pretty weak at the moment, and so are my engine building skills! I figure that new pistons/rings/rods/bearings/crank install will be new ground for me to break, and then a supercharger kit will be even newer... So I'll learn as I go! I'm just not going to try to invent an intercooler without anybody having success with it first!

Yeah. I really need to start doing research to see what pistons and cams would work best... Anybody have any insight?

Ahhhhh very interesting. The only sc I have ever worked with was on my vw corrado. It had a side mount stock. Removed it all and went turbo after not having any fun super charged. The sound of an sc > the sound of a turbo though. Can't wait to see your wagon charged.

Yeah, as was stated, roots type s/c's (like mine) bolt to the intake manifold, so there is no piping from the charger to the intake (like a turbo has). Centrifugal s/c's are more like what you're used to, where they compress the air, then send it through piping to the intake (like a turbo).

I like the sound of a turbo OR a s/c... or both! But I think for the look I have, a whine would do it just right for me!

Ya I didn't mean you per se, you brought up that other guy so I thought it pertinent.

My .02 on the parts choice is if you plan on not passing 14lb, to not use super low comp pistons like a turbo motor. A nice 9:1 com ratio with 10-14lbs on the sc will be very nice and still safe. I would have the (forged) pistons friction coated, trying to allow the engine to make some more hp to make up for the drive line loss caused by the sc.

Cam imo is up to you really, it depends on the tq curve you would like to have.

Ya I didn't mean you per se, you brought up that other guy so I thought it pertinent.

My .02 on the parts choice is if you plan on not passing 14lb, to not use super low comp pistons like a turbo motor. A nice 9:1 com ratio with 10-14lbs on the sc will be very nice and still safe. I would have the (forged) pistons friction coated, trying to allow the engine to make some more hp to make up for the drive line loss caused by the sc.

Cam imo is up to you really, it depends on the tq curve you would like to have.

I doubt that there will be much loss created by one extra belt... Especially considering the 240sx guys run power steering, AC AND the alternator/water pump... and I'm only running water and alternator... and s/c. And when I add the Fidanza lightweight flywheel, things should even them out pretty well... At some point, too, I think it'd be super cool to get a lighter driveshaft. But we'll see!

Ya I'm sure not much either but loss none the less lol. I'm sure not much gain from friction coating either but your there so why not. Inexpensive way to gain hp and mpg.

It seems to me kind of counter productive to go with a lightweight flywheel/drive shaft. I mean isn't the general idea of a sc to have tq down low? I know it's all relative since the car itself isn't that heavy but still gearing the motor towards low end tq and the drive line to high rpm hp doesn't seem right to me.

Not trying to be negative or anything thats just how it strikes me.

Having a lightened driveline frees up torque and power. Less rotating mass means less torque/power required to spin the wheels. The main thing I want from this car, and the main reason I've settled on the supercharger over the turbo is to have all of my power and torque readilly available at any speed. Waiting for the turbo to spool leaves big losses in the torque curves. With the supercharger, the power will be more instantaneous, and less of a "spikey" feel.

You WANT light drive shafts, flywheels, etc in most cases. The only down side is that heavier rotating masses will carry momentum easier, meaning they hold RPM's longer between shifts, etc. With lighter driveline, the car will rev down quicker the same as it revs up quicker.