L18

jrbd10

Ok guys, no matter what happens with my ideas, I'm still gonna keep my L18 to rebuild it. But I'm asking what is the highest amount of horsepower this engine can produce if it is rebuilt completely and cleaned, etc. Any idea the cost? I have done some research. I read some crazy numbers. One said 300(seems resonable but tough). Another said 900(DOUBT IT) but more or less the average was about 150-200(makes sense). But no show of the cost. Anyone have a clue the cost?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on how much of it is replaced, be it neccessity or choice... I'd say $300 is a fair number for a simple basic rebuild (gaskets, rings, bearings, hone)... More if you do the complete head as well, more yet if want to make power... You could easily spend $3000 to make 120-150hp out of a L18. I have yet to see a dyno proven L make more than 200hp even turboed.

Edited by zuum510

There is almost no upper end limit but to 1.8 liters but one: you won't be able to afford it and two: it won't be drivable on the street. Even adding 50% more hp without a turbo would be a formidable and expensive task. With a turbo it's do-able but most of the cost incurred is strengthening engine components to keep them together under boost conditions.

The most bang for the buck would be a mild cam that is tame enough to idle in traffic, has good low and mid range torque (where you do most of your driving anyway) and have a small amount of top end revving to make it fun to drive. Perhaps a ported A-87 or U-67 head, a closed chamber if possible. An larger L20B or Weber down draft carb, perhaps on an L20B intake. A newer EI matchbox distributor, higher output oil pump from a Z24i or KA motor and an internally regulated alternator. Your stock L-18 exhaust is more than good enough for this without an expensive header or get an older L-16 manifold.

All this stuff is readily available here, it fits and works and is reasonably cheap.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Like 1

the most i would spend on parts is about maybe 1,000 to 1,500. Hopefully i would have about 90-100 figures with similar or higher amount of torque. Last time i did dyno my car it farted out 65 horsepower. So, a good rebuild should bring out the life in the old L18.

Less if you do some of the assembly yourself. That's a good amount to budget for a good rebuild and a strong motor. Any additional performance mods will just shorten the life of the old one I think. You might find a rebuild surprisingly peppy and fun to drive!. It's quit striking what 10-15 more hp will do on a small car.

The most bang for the buck would be a mild cam that is tame enough to idle in traffic, has good low and mid range torque (where you do most of your driving anyway) and have a small amount of top end revving to make it fun to drive. Perhaps a ported A-87 or U-67 head, a closed chamber if possible. An larger L20B or Weber down draft carb, perhaps on an L20B intake. A newer EI matchbox distributor, higher output oil pump from a Z24i or KA motor and an internally regulated alternator. Your stock L-18 exhaust is more than good enough for this without an expensive header or get an older L-16 manifold.

All this stuff is readily available here, it fits and works and is reasonably cheap.

I should add that the cam is a more personal choice and while the odd one comes up for sale here you should do some research on this and maybe buy a new one. Two cardinal rules... never over carb or cam a motor.

ok...any recomend parts?

what u can find !!! Its a matter of what you want to do there are endless possiblity you could do buy stock overbore or flattop or dished its a mattter of what you want it sounds to me (no offence) your an idiot with to much money. Get on google and look at what has been done or click on this and read it a few timeshttp://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1011 i have the original one printed out i have read it more time than i can count all the info you will need is in here try the search engine it works:eek::fu::lol:

Two cardinal rules... never over carb or cam a motor.

lol but it so fun lol

Chirp, chirp, chirp Voom, Vooom, Voom ghuga, ghuga, Voom! pup, pup, pup, pup, Voom Vuu0Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (flat spot)uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (wait for it...)uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Two cardinal rules... never over carb or cam a motor.
Yep, good words. I think it means "no carb is too big" and "no cam is too big". Run big or go home ...

But if you actually want to a win a race, or want the most performance for your dollar, fit the right size, instead of the biggest.

ok thanks but damm freaky

(no offence) your an idiot with to much money.
low blow. im very new to this and no i dont have money. thats why its best to ask then buy, and spend money wisly. if i was a idiot i would jump into a project and blow my money on parts like lets say a cam that was not for the daily driver. you guys are helping but please easy on the hits to the kidney.
Ok guys, no matter what happens with my ideas, I'm still gonna keep my L18 to rebuild it. But I'm asking what is the highest amount of horsepower this engine can produce if it is rebuilt completely and cleaned, etc. Any idea the cost? I have done some research. I read some crazy numbers. One said 300(seems resonable but tough). Another said 900(DOUBT IT) but more or less the average was about 150-200(makes sense). But no show of the cost. Anyone have a clue the cost?

You are inquiring about 2 things 1) rebuild 2). Modifying your L18. 2 different things. With rebuilding your not going to get more but modifying you will. To mod the L18 with cam, pistons, crank, maybe about $2,500. I think getting 300 HP out of L18 is unlikely unless you supercharge it or something. You can also call Rebellos from Ca. look them up. There's a couple who builds them up from Ca, Bay Area but I would not recommend them. Heard horror stories from different folks. It boils down to how much do you have or can afford.

Here check this out from Dime Quarterly, click on Engine and tells you a lot about various engine mods.

http://dimequarterly.com/