Inherited a 1976 620

I've been hovering around for a little while reading a lot of posts as my grandmother just passed a couple weeks ago and I inherited my grandparents 1976 Datsun 620.  I spent most of my time with my grandparents and remember riding around in this with my grandpa.  They bought this in December of 1979 and it appears to have ~36600 miles on it.  I am fairly certain that is actual mileage looking at old receipts they kept in the glove box.  My grandpa had a lot of cars over the years (I even found a list of them all he wrote down in the early 90s when cleaning up my grandma's house).  A lot of them were hot rodded and he always told a story about having one of the fastest cars in Portland Oregon, looking at his car list it was a '37 Ford coupe with a full race engine.  Anyway just got this car to it's new home with me.  My nephew had worked on it and he told me there are a few issues with it.  It currently isn't running but he said he thinks it just needs the carb cleaned.  There is also a clutch issue, he said the pedal moves but nothing else does?  Brake pedal also goes to the floor but it doesn't stop it from moving.  My plan is to turn it into the truck my grandpa would have done if it didn't have a camper on it.  Lower it just a little and just clean it up for now then consider some upgrades like disc brakes.

Now for some pictures.

53816608633_10242e8840_b.jpg

53816608538_3cb436d6a9_b.jpg

53815441937_2f7b221263_b.jpg

53816806520_de8011a40b_b.jpg

53816369971_6bf59c3c5c_b.jpg

I am SO looking forward to working on this truck with my own son who will be turning 16 in December, hoping we can create the same memories I got with my grandpa.

• Like 5
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The odometer only goes to 99,999 and then tuns back over to 00,000. So it is possible it's 136,000. Look for excessive brake clutch and gas pedal wear. Worn out drivers side seat, driver's arm rest, driver's door drops when opened from worn hinges.

Looks like a really nice truck. Like the slotted mags

datzenmike this is why I think it is original, pedals appear to have no wear, door hinges are solid, and interior looks faded but brand new.  Forgot to take pics of interior, plan on washing it tonight, there is so much oxidation on it but it seems to come right off.

• Like 1

@draekin13 - first Datsun? Word of advice - do not get rid of parts you replace. Original stuff, like master cylinders, wheel cylinders, fuel pumps, etc are almost non-existent and the aftermarket stuff isn't great, so if you replace anything, keep the old parts so you can restore them later.

• Like 2

X 2 on not relinquishing old parts.

2 hours ago, draekin13 said:

datzenmike this is why I think it is original, pedals appear to have no wear, door hinges are solid, and interior looks faded but brand new.  Forgot to take pics of interior, plan on washing it tonight, there is so much oxidation on it but it seems to come right off.

image.thumb.jpeg.c22ba9fa7449088ea79dbf3344542192.jpeg

Upper left corner of clutch pedal is worn through to the metal.

Radiator hose replaced and the positive battery cable. These should last more than 36K I would think.

Clutch not working is likely the hydraulics. Check the master beside the brake booster, probably empty. May be just as simple as refilling and bleeding the slave cylinder.

Brakes are pretty much the same as the clutch. Needs refilling and bleeding. Don't be surprised if some of the wheel cylinders are or begin to leak. Just replace them. Front cylinders are different from the rears.

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

first Datsun? Word of advice - do not get rid of parts you replace. Original stuff, like master cylinders, wheel cylinders, fuel pumps, etc are almost non-existent and the aftermarket stuff isn't great, so if you replace anything, keep the old parts so you can restore them later.

Yes first for me but my grandparents had this one and an '81 diesel, I worked on these with him when I was younger but that was like 30 years ago.  My nephew worked on it a bit and I'm not sure what all he did so there may be some parts laying around as well.  When I picked up the truck he had dropped the exhaust to get to the clutch and all the nuts and bolts he just left on the gravel where he was doing the work so I am sure I am missing nuts and bolts all around 😞  Good advice to keep everything around thank you.

• Like 1

Threw a battery in it today and amazingly enough it runs.  It is rough so I'm guessing the carb needs some love, but I cannot seem to figure out what carb this is.  It says Solex on it but I can't seem to find any other markings on it.

53820723536_67917d1373_b.jpg

I also started washing it.  Only got about half of it done but super happy with how it is looking.  I also bought some Sweet Patina Sauce, will see how that goes.

53821060619_6fe02c8a42_b.jpg

• Like 4

dude thats a COOLl truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should clean up nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! engine bay looks prestine just clean it up

change oil and chenge out the antifreeze also.

get a timing light adjust timing if needed and adjust the carb onc warmed up.

Try putting in brake fluid and see what happens. maybe the seals just need working but alwasy monitor this if leaky.  If dry to long the seals can scrap inside and get ruined. a;so with the clutch slave by the trans

get rid of that tow hitch up front

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Your grandpa may have used it to work a small travel trailer, boat, or ? into place. That's what the front mounted trailer hitches were used for. Looks like a real good and straight pickup. I have my dad's (passed away) 1973 Datsun pickup, that he bought brand new, and I wish it was that straight.

Don

Edited by 620slodat

Pulled the carb off and found a model number, Solex C34 TCIC / 13 K6 My searches came back with a lot of references to VWs.  My grandpa did have a bunch of VWs so this could make sense if he just pulled it off one of those?

• Like 1