Im about to buy a 720 for the first time, any tips?

Im about to buy a 720 and im super stoked, im gettin it for 1.5k with 140k miles on it (i have no idea if thats a good price or nah) the windshield is cracked and the owner said the control module for the AC is out, is that an easy fix? Im also wanting to eventually mod it out by either trying to get it more power, or lifting/lowering it or converting it to 4x4 or something along those lines. any tips on some good mods for it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$1500 and only 140,000 miles is a great price as long as it’s solid, no rust or only minimal rust. There is no ac module, it either works or it doesn’t, simple switch. Maybe a fuse, but probably dead. It’s not to difficult to resurrect though. Do routine maintenance to begin with to get it running as well as it can, plugs, oil change, air filter, re-torque the head bolts, etc. More power will be difficult with a z24, they were built for torque, great at carrying a load. Have fun with it, they’re simple to work on.

If you want a 4x4 GET a 4x4. The 2wd frame is way different, too many things make this extremely difficult/impossible.

What year, model? 

If you go off road, a small lift, if you like driving and handling, lower it.

Forget trying for more power just get it tuned up and get all the fluids replaced. Again we don't know the year, perhaps put that in your profile. 

• Like 1
On 6/26/2024 at 5:10 PM, datzenmike said:

If you want a 4x4 GET a 4x4. The 2wd frame is way different, too many things make this extremely difficult/impossible.

What year, model? 

If you go off road, a small lift, if you like driving and handling, lower it.

Forget trying for more power just get it tuned up and get all the fluids replaced. Again we don't know the year, perhaps put that in your profile. 

My maternal grandad was a pro mechanic. I had a '50 Chevy deluxe cab, wanted to inst. chrome reverses and baby moons. He asked if I was still gonna haul wood, etc. and I said yes. He said I'd start having trouble with kingpins and wheel bearings. I asked how, he explained that the wider spacing would load them more, which I hadn't a clue about, and that GM had did lots of testing and the further from stock you got the more trouble you'd have.

Sure wish I could still talk to him.

On 6/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, datzenmike said:

What year, model? 

I have an 85/86 King Cab 4x4 sitting in the backyard, pretty much parts only. Mike could tell you if the windshields is compatible with a regular cab. I might have a couple dashboards and other assorted fenders, doors, body panels, Etc. And assortment of other parts. I'd have to go out and look at it again to see if the windshield is any good, and you'd have to truck your ass up here to get it, I don't do deliveries or mail. I could help you get it out but I ain't guaranteeing the seals are going to be a good after removal. I'm not 100% sure if it's just a rubber sealer if it's actually glued in there or repaired and glued in there . I was after the door panels that has the power windows and the ST steering wheel out of it. Some cash or we'll work out a trade for whatever Parts you might be looking for. My 81 King Cab aka my lil mule, I think I'll be buried in it one day.

Jeezus how the hell are you Elmer?

They are all 5.7mm thick, laminated, clear or tint. From '84 some are USA made, and from '85 have the antenna embedded. Otherwise all cabs are the same and so is the windshield so they will interchange. 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Jeezus how the hell are you Elmer?

If you're down for a good road trip, bring your ass to Kentucky, I got steak, beer and a room for ya, and a shit ton of ammo. We can definitely do some shooting. I'm single again so I actually have money to spend.

• Like 1