Carnivore Diet

First person I heard talk about the carnivore diet was Jordan Peterson. He's commented on how he, his wife, and daughter have had incredible health benefits from it. But I've always shrugged it off as crazy talk. But out of curiosity I've been digging and researching this in the past few weeks. I still want to do more research on what this is all about but I figured the crap I'm eating now can't be worse than eating a Carnivore diet. So I started the diet a week ago. I also have some of the health issues that people claim this diet helps improve or sometimes reverse so I don't have much to lose and possibly something to gain if any of this is true.

If you're already on this diet or are thinking about starting. Post your progress, experience good or bad, and thoughts on the subject here.

So far what I've gathered is that people are having mostly positive results. Apparently it's helping thousands of people with weight lose, hyper tension, diabetes, fatty liver, joint inflammation, some mental conditions, and psoriasis. I've always been very skeptical about everything and am the kind of person that needs to see things to believe them, so we'll see. By the sounds of it, It's not all smooth sailing either. Some people have reported some short term side effects like Diarrhea and cramps but so far those who I've read complain about these things say they went away not too long after they started.

Edited by IZRL
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WTF???? Is this going somewhere?

Like barbecue, hate the sauce flavor. I don't eat a lot of meat, was even vegetarian for 7 years when young. I like most meat but when it's not around I don't think about it. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IZRL said:

First person I heard talk about the carnivore diet was Jordan Peterson. He's commented on how he, his wife, and daughter have had incredible health benefits from it. But I've always shrugged it off as crazy talk. But out of curiosity I've been digging and researching this in the past few weeks. I still want to do more research on what this is all about but I figured what I'm eating now can't be worse than eating a Carnivore diet. So I started the diet a week ago. I also have some of the health issues that people claim this diet helps improve or sometimes reverse so I don't have much to lose and possibly something to gain if any of this is true.

If you're already on this diet or are thinking about starting. Post your progress, experience good or bad, and thoughts on the subject here.

So far what I've gathered is that people are having mostly positive results. Apparently it's helping thousands of people with weight lose, hyper tension, diabetes, fatty liver, joint inflammation, some mental conditions, and psoriasis. I've always been very skeptical about everything and am the kind of person that needs to see things to believe them, so we'll see. By the sounds of it, It's not all smooth sailing either. Some people have reported some short term side effects like Diarrhea and cramps but so far those who I've read complain about these things say they went away not too long after they started.

A couple interesting videos on the subject.

I am looking forward to my plant based artificially flavored cricket powder protein burger on the grill tonight with imitation cheese and gluten free bun.  Got to have a light dinner due to the T-bone steak and baked potato for lunch. An early dinner sometimes is "a good thing" if I must quote a semi-famous TV woman. Next thought, salad?

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, nick83gts said:

I am looking forward to my plant based artificially flavored cricket powder protein burger on the grill tonight with imitation cheese and gluten free bun.  Got to have a light dinner due to the T-bone steak and baked potato for lunch. An early dinner sometimes is "a good thing" if I must quote a semi-famous TV woman. Next thought, salad?

Wait, I'm not sure if you're joking or not? Cricket powder? I just googled that. I had no idea this actually existed and was something people were already consuming here in the states?

Edited by IZRL
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

WTF???? Is this going somewhere?

Like barbecue, hate the sauce flavor. I don't eat a lot of meat, was even vegetarian for 7 years when young. I like most meat but when it's not around I don't think about it. 

I've always been the complete opposite. I would've never shifted my diet to eating mostly meat & eggs prior to today. But it's never even crossed my mind to cut it completely out. Most veggies I could live without.

Awhile back in 2017 I began to be aware of metabolic problems of high blood pressure, high sugar, gout, weight etc that were peaking and needed to be dealt with. I didn't go Carnivore but did attempt Keto for a time, I did as much researching as I could to learn and part of that was both Dr's Baker and Berry.

I tried to kept my daily carbohydrate intake under 50 grams and as part of that limited my alcohol to 2 beers a week allowing myself to have a cheat day so to speak on the weekends. Also I did not concentrate on restricting calories and I used a phone app called Cronometer to keep track.

The results made it clear to me that what I did resulted in better health. 

Before weight 235, blood pressure 180 / 90, Triglycerides 288, A1c Blood sugar 6.0

After weight is now 200, blood pressure 124 / 70, Triglycerides 100, A1c Blood sugar 5.0

Fullness was never a problem, my only problem was fighting my cravings to have a beer or eat half a pie.

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2024 at 8:06 AM, Ooph! said:

Awhile back in 2017 I began to be aware of metabolic problems of high blood pressure, high sugar, gout, weight etc that were peaking and needed to be dealt with. I didn't go Carnivore but did attempt Keto for a time, I did as much researching as I could to learn and part of that was both Dr's Baker and Berry.

I tried to kept my daily carbohydrate intake under 50 grams and as part of that limited my alcohol to 2 beers a week allowing myself to have a cheat day so to speak on the weekends. Also I did not concentrate on restricting calories and I used a phone app called Cronometer to keep track.

The results made it clear to me that what I did resulted in better health. 

Before weight 235, blood pressure 180 / 90, Triglycerides 288, A1c Blood sugar 6.0

After weight is now 200, blood pressure 124 / 70, Triglycerides 100, A1c Blood sugar 5.0

Fullness was never a problem, my only problem was fighting my cravings to have a beer or eat half a pie.

I've always done the low calorie method. I just kept my calories low and the carbs stayed reasonably low automatically. My best success came from not going extreme low calorie and would go down in stages. You're just begging to fail if you're always starving. Supposedly, inactive males need about 2k-2200 cal per day to maintain. Being that on average I was eating roughly 2.5k-3k cal p/day. To start I would go down to 2200k cal for a week and drop it by 100 cal a week until I was at about 1700. In my teens I got down from 215 to 185 using this method, lifting weights sped progress up. Most recently (10 years ago) I started at 286 and went down to 235 without exercise. I've kept it off. I range between 240-248 since. Which is a win for me as I can easily maintain 300 lbs. I pay attention to how my clothes fit. If they're starting to feel tight, I go back to watching what I eat and reel it back in. I used to hang on to my 286 lbs clothes which made it easy to just switch over to the fatter clothes when the smaller clothes started to get tight. Finally decided to throw it out and it has helped me maintain. I'm 240 now.

The big difference between all my previous diet attempts and the carnivore diet. Is that this is by far the easiest diet to start. With other diets the first 2 months were hell. I was always extremely hungry & craving everything. It was a mission to stay under my target calories.

So far with this diet it's the complete opposite. When i first set up my target max calories. I was thinking 2k cal p/day was good to start. But I'm struggling to get "up to" even 1700 cal. All the protein and fat makes it so that you get full faster and takes longer for hunger to strike. 1700k calories is about 10 ounces of 90/10 grnd beef, 4 eggs, an Oz of pork cracklings, and 1 oz of pork lard(as oil replacement & is homemade. Using lard is just a personal test others use butter). I split this between 2 meals a day. Doesn't look like a lot but so far I'm not hungry when my 2nd meal comes around and struggle to eat. I'm sure this will get easier once I get used to it. Eating more is actually recommended. I'm sticking to max 1900 p/day.

I will say tho, I'm not going 100% carnivore diet. I'm shooting for 90/10. I'm still gonna allow for my weekly drinking night with friends and will eat whatever we make for food that night. Hanging out with friends every weekend is something that I look forward to all week. Getting rid of 100% of what you enjoy in life, to lose weight makes it even more miserable and harder to stick to IMO. This will slow my progress a bit and might reduce the amount of health benefits I might get from going 100%. But I'm good with that. I've done this with every diet and I've always lost weight. Might not work for everyone but it has for me.

Something I've noticed about some carnivore groups. Is it looks like some folks are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. One year a group decided they're going to add extreme amounts of butter to their diets. To the point where they not only cook with butter, spread butter on everything including coffee. They also carry sticks of butter with them as a quick snack when cravings arise. They take a bite of butter every time they get a craving. JESUS! Then the next year that same group of people are like "well... that didn't work. We started getting fluffy around the midriff with all that butter". NO shit...! I'm gonna ignore all the looney challenge people and am sticking to the basics.

Sorry for the long post. Posting on this thread as way to keep track of stuff.

Edited by IZRL

About 15 years ago since i had quit drugs a few years earlier, i had found myself "bulking" up..  So i tried the no carbs thing.  i think i about passed out one day i went into the supermarket that bakes bread in the back. 

As Lieutenant Tawny Madison once said 

a51bba34-43d1-44b4-9df7-ff50fc293366_tex

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

About 15 years ago since i had quit drugs a few years earlier, i had found myself "bulking" up..  So i tried the no carbs thing.  i think i about passed out one day i went into the supermarket that bakes bread in the back. 

As Lieutenant Tawny Madison once said 

a51bba34-43d1-44b4-9df7-ff50fc293366_tex

I'm no expert but it seems that replacing meat with breads/carbs makes it to where you never feel deprived. So far I haven't felt hungry or deprived even though I'm only eating 1900 or less calories a day. 

Another thing is that if you do happen to get cravings or hungry. You can just eat more meat and eggs. They actually recommend not counting calories. They say as long as you're eating meat or eggs you should listen to your body and eat when you get hungry. Which again, for me that hasn't happened so far. When my second meal of the day comes I struggle to finish it. 

Edited by IZRL
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fat510 said:

Op making too many wall of text posts

Too bad I m not readin em

f34ee185efc85a64965476f8e9ed8cff940f9aed1e1f111650ad5c1171f8c61b_1~2.jpg

You again 😆. You got to let me know what your word limit is? I'd like you to read at least one of my post. On a more serious note... you got an opinion on this subject, or are you just doing another drive-by shooting?

Edited by IZRL

I've written books on the Ratsun page, edited it (but not for length) and.... then erased it. Having got it out I felt better and like vomit on the floor, you don't need to see it anyway

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IZRL said:

You again 😆. You got to let me know what your word limit is? I'd like you to read at least one of my post. On a more serious note... you got an opinion on this subject, or are you just doing another drive-by shooting?

To be fair, I wouldn't wouldn't listen to anything jordan Peterson says. Broken clocks, yadda yadda.

If you are trying to lose weight, you should try is a calorie deficit diet. Measure about the calories that you are going to consume for the day and eat less the next. Consume mainly protein, drink mostly water and stay away from bread and sugars. 

On 6/27/2024 at 5:22 PM, IZRL said:

I've always done the low calorie method. I just kept my calories low and the carbs stayed reasonably low automatically. My best success came from not going extreme low calorie and would go down in stages. You're just begging to fail if you're always starving. Supposedly, inactive males need about 2k-2200 cal per day to maintain. Being that on average I was eating roughly 2.5k-3k cal p/day. To start I would go down to 2200k cal for a week and drop it by 100 cal a week until I was at about 1700. In my teens I got down from 215 to 185 using this method, lifting weights sped progress up. Most recently (10 years ago) I started at 286 and went down to 235 without exercise. I've kept it off. I range between 240-248 since. Which is a win for me as I can easily maintain 300 lbs. I pay attention to how my clothes fit. If they're starting to feel tight, I go back to watching what I eat and reel it back in. I used to hang on to my 286 lbs clothes which made it easy to just switch over to the fatter clothes when the smaller clothes started to get tight. Finally decided to throw it out and it has helped me maintain. I'm 240 now.

The big difference between all my previous diet attempts and the carnivore diet. Is that this is by far the easiest diet to start. With other diets the first 2 months were hell. I was always extremely hungry & craving everything. It was a mission to stay under my target calories.

So far with this diet it's the complete opposite. When i first set up my target max calories. I was thinking 2k cal p/day was good to start. But I'm struggling to get "up to" even 1700 cal. All the protein and fat makes it so that you get full faster and takes longer for hunger to strike. 1700k calories is about 10 ounces of 90/10 grnd beef, 4 eggs, an Oz of pork cracklings, and 1 oz of pork lard(as oil replacement & is homemade. Using lard is just a personal test others use butter). I split this between 2 meals a day. Doesn't look like a lot but so far I'm not hungry when my 2nd meal comes around and struggle to eat. I'm sure this will get easier once I get used to it. Eating more is actually recommended. I'm sticking to max 1900 p/day.

I will say tho, I'm not going 100% carnivore diet. I'm shooting for 90/10. I'm still gonna allow for my weekly drinking night with friends and will eat whatever we make for food that night. Hanging out with friends every weekend is something that I look forward to all week. Getting rid of 100% of what you enjoy in life, to lose weight makes it even more miserable and harder to stick to IMO. This will slow my progress a bit and might reduce the amount of health benefits I might get from going 100%. But I'm good with that. I've done this with every diet and I've always lost weight. Might not work for everyone but it has for me.

Something I've noticed about some carnivore groups. Is it looks like some folks are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. One year a group decided they're going to add extreme amounts of butter to their diets. To the point where they not only cook with butter, spread butter on everything including coffee. They also carry sticks of butter with them as a quick snack when cravings arise. They take a bite of butter every time they get a craving. JESUS! Then the next year that same group of people are like "well... that didn't work. We started getting fluffy around the midriff with all that butter". NO shit...! I'm gonna ignore all the looney challenge people and am sticking to the basics.

Sorry for the long post. Posting on this thread as way to keep track of stuff.

If you would've read even part of my "big wall of text post" 😃. You would see I've already lost weight with the calorie cut diet a couple times in my l life. So I can attest to the fact that calorie cut diet works. 

I also explain why I prefer the carnivore diet to that diet so far. 

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I've written books on the Ratsun page, edited it (but not for length) and.... then erased it. Having got it out I felt better and like vomit on the floor, you don't need to see it anyway

I did realize many of my posts were getting way too long a while back. So I've be actively trying to shorten as much as I can.

Having said that, If I think I need to leave most of it in, than I do. I'm ok if people don't read those posts. I do the same for other's post's sometimes. I'll skim through them to get the gist of it and move on to the next one.

• Like 1